double kick issues

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

double kick issues

Postby youngdrummer1993 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Alright I got good help with my shuffle prob. but now I need help with my double kick.

First off, I used to be able to go beastmode on the double kick. I could do 16ths at 210 bpm all day. Then one day I just couldn't do it. I tried so hard to be able to do it again... but it just didn't work. So I got frustrated and just said to heck with it, I won't ever need to do 210 16ths in the type of music I'm playing to. So it was all good for a while... All I could do was 180 16ths if I really tried but usually 8ths at 210. So just yesterday I got it back for a little bit. I was overjoyed, so I played for about 30 minutes before I had to go to work. So I get off of work at about 7 and come home to play some more, when it just doesn't work. I couldn't even do any kind of double kick faster than 1/4 beats at like 160. It was the same today. I couldn't do it. I even tinkered with my pedals a bit (Pearl p122 Powershifters) and that didn't even help. I don't know why my legs have to be dumb like this... tips would be welcome.
youngdrummer1993
beginner
beginner

double kick issues

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: double kick issues

Postby SGarrett » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:33 am

I'd have to watch you play, but I speculate that you're trying too hard. The times when it locks in are likely the times when you're really relaxed and goofing around. Or, you could be playing beyond your actual speed threshold and aren't as locked in at 210 as you think you are. Only a recording would tell that story, though.

I'm picking double kick back up again right now. I can play 16ths at 140bpm but not at 70bpm. I even have trouble playing them at 108bpm (tempo for one of the songs I'm learning). That's because my control isn't there. *hint*
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby wmpdrummer13 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:35 am

Yea i agree you might be trying to hard and tensing up and that will make your legs freeze on ya. Just try to stay relaxed and let your legs glide.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby youngdrummer1993 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:28 pm

There's the problem: I'm doing nearly everything right. I certainly am relaxed, I do the exact same foot motion as I used to, but it just doesn't work!

I'll try and get a video up of me playing some stuff, but it might take a while until I can find a decent camera.

And I did clock in at 210 BPM, I used a metronome and had one of my buddies count the 1-e-and-a-2-e-and-a for me.
youngdrummer1993
beginner
beginner

Postby SGarrett » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:07 am

Take a step back and take a deep breath. :)

It doesn't need to be a great recording, just one where you can watch yourself playing. Something has changed or the foundation wasn't strong enough to begin with (ie: you saying you tend to rush through new things) because properly built chops just don't disappear overnight...barring a health issue, of course. So it's time to back everything up and start from step one until you find your stumbling block.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby youngdrummer1993 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:34 pm

SGarrett wrote:Take a step back and take a deep breath. :)

It doesn't need to be a great recording, just one where you can watch yourself playing. Something has changed or the foundation wasn't strong enough to begin with (ie: you saying you tend to rush through new things) because properly built chops just don't disappear overnight...barring a health issue, of course. So it's time to back everything up and start from step one until you find your stumbling block.

Well just today I kind of solved the problem... I looked for new techniques (the slide technique did it) and got it up to 190 16ths.

I really do appreciate the help here guys. Being self-taught, I get to do things all on my own :/.
youngdrummer1993
beginner
beginner

Postby SGarrett » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:52 pm

I consider sliding to be cheating. If your ankle can't do the work you can't actually play that fast. In all honesty, I'd say you need to back up and work on your foundation. My martial art Master is fond of saying "the world's best built sky scraper will fall over if its foundation isn't stable". :)
SGarrett

Postby jnewlon_drum » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:48 pm

u should wrk out ur leg muscles to gain more control of ur kick strokes...
a thing i use to do was drag my bass drum infront of my tv in my living room and put a pillow in between the batter head and the beaters on ur pedal...
just watech sum tv and turn on a nome at a comfortabe pace that will give u a wrkout for the length of show...

the pillow takes away all the rebound so it builds up ur control and ur leg muscles to help u with ur kick control and speed up ur straight doubles...

good luck with that,
-jdrums (TGOA)
ADD ME ON MYSPACE... www.myspace.com/drum_4life
jnewlon_drum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Drum Lessons