Bad Habits

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Bad Habits

Postby drumweezer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:01 pm

Don't you hate it when you come across a bad habit that effects your drumming?

Over the past few years, I have developed a horrible habit of holding my drumsticks improperly. When I start to play a song, my hands are right at the fulcrum point, but by the end of the song, I'm holding the drumstick by the end of the stick. Somewhere a long the line the drumstick or my hands slides into that position. It has gotten so bad that that it has been hindering my drum rolls. I try to to be mindful of it and correct myself as much as possible, but ultimately you can't be mindful all the time since your trying to focus. I have thought about maybe placing something at the end of the stick to help me correct myself.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
http://www.myspace.com/princessandthecriminals
http://www.myspace.com/riotriotgrrl

Tama Rockstar Custom
Pork Pie Big Black
Tama Iron Cobra Pedal
Sabian AA
drumweezer
beginner
beginner

Bad Habits

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Bad Habits

Postby SGarrett » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:56 pm

You perform as you practice. In other words, spend some dedicated time working on your grip on the practice pad. Until you have it down there, you won't have it down on stage or during band rehearsal. In order to get to that zone, everything has to be second nature and on auto-pilot. And that, requires ass-loads of practice hours. :)

That said, I highly recommend watching the Dom Famularo videos at the VicFirth.com Education Center.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby wmpdrummer13 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:57 am

I use to have a similiar problem and i tried a lot of different things like putting some tape at a certain point and when i felt the tape i would reposition but actually what helped me the most was moving up to a bigger stick size. I havent had the problem since. What size stick do you normally use? I def agree with Garrett most things with playing need to become almost auto-pilot and you only get there by practicing a lot.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Brother_Bong » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:49 pm

I also did the tape thing, helped quite a bit. One trick I learned was where and how to readjust my sticks if necessary.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Postby drumweezer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:40 pm

It's kind of funny, I actually tried using a bigger stick tonight at practice before I read the latest posts and it did actually help! Normally I play 747's, but I just don't think its long enough. I think I was trying to overcompensate by holding the stick at the end. Of course, I did catch myself a couple of times wanting to stray back to the end of the stick, but definitely not nearly as much. I also pulled my cymbals in a little closer and that helped some too!

I was actually thinking about adding some tape! I'll try that tomorrow and see how that works! Thanks guys for the awesome advice! It's sometimes difficult to get feedback from other drummers when feedback is absolutely crucial to becoming a successful drummer!
http://www.myspace.com/princessandthecriminals
http://www.myspace.com/riotriotgrrl

Tama Rockstar Custom
Pork Pie Big Black
Tama Iron Cobra Pedal
Sabian AA
drumweezer
beginner
beginner

Postby SGarrett » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:05 pm

If you find that 747s aren't long enough, your kit is likely too spread out.

The thing about practicing your grip on a pad is that you learn how to move the sticks around in your hands by making small adjustments. I never did do the tape thing, I just spend many hours on my pad focusing on a relaxed grip. Unlike a chops workout, grip exercises are done at like 20bpm because you examine and adjust your grip after each note.

Here are some older pictures of the grip I use:

And a video of mostly my hands (skip ahead to around 1:30)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IETEPp2UDEw
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby wmpdrummer13 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:04 am

Garret makes a good point about the relaxed grip, you might be gripping your sticks too tight and that will make it hard for you to be able to easily adjust your position on the stick. Everything with drumming should be relaxed especially the grip you will find it easier to roll with a relaxed grip. I find that the most tension is between my thumb and pointer finger. The other fingers are rather relaxed and are use mainly for rolls and faster fills.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby jnewlon_drum » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:42 am

this is a very good video that will help you correct your grip...and its only 5 minutes....
it will improve ur technique and stick control....and teach you not to tense up when u play...stay relaxed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZCkgI4ef9s
ADD ME ON MYSPACE... www.myspace.com/drum_4life
jnewlon_drum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Drum Lessons