bass drum questions

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

bass drum questions

Postby Jayson_X » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:01 pm

hello, i, as i've said before, play a variety of styles, but i play mostly metal with a lot of double bass stuff. and i play heel-toe on most, if not, all of the fast db passages/fills. so my questions are:

1)how do you get the second stroke to be as loud and as punchy as the first? do you have to do something with the drumheads/spring tension/tuning etc?
2)i use a superkick 2 batter with a falam slam and a regulator reso on my bass drum. because i don't use any muffling, could it be that the resonance is what makes my second stroke muddy?
3)how do you tune the bass drum for that nice metal punch?

i desperately need help. thanks. :)

PS i might add some more questions later on.
Jayson_X
beginner
beginner

bass drum questions

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: bass drum questions

Postby metldrummer2112 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:40 am

Yeah man my strokes were very muddy before I started using internal muffling. Now it's still distinct strokes at much higher speeds. If you use internal muffling, you really don't need to tune too much. AND that nice metal punch you're talking about is probably a sampled sound they used in the studio that probably can't be attained by normal tuning
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Postby Devindrummer12 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:34 am

1) Just practice over and over, I know that's what you don't exactly want to hear. Also, I use top spring tension and I tune my bass fairly high.
2) Definitely throw a little muffling in there, it will clean the stroke up.

3) For the punchy metal sound, I would suggest using a metal Danmar bass badge and also tighter on the batter and rather low on the Resonant.
Devindrummer12
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby TheLoneGunman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:11 am

The only way to get better at something is to practice.

Whatever you want to do, do it slow, clean, perfect and comfortable. Then speed it up a little bit, at the point where you are no longer clean and perfect drop the speed by about 10 to 20% and keep practicing. Practice for hours and hours and hours.

You don't learn how to play fast and clean by playing fast, you learn by playing slow and clean and building muscle memory. Muscle Memory requires repetition. Repetition requires that you not play video games or have a job or girl/boy friend and you just play drums, lol.

peace
My Gear:

Shine Defenition Series Drum Set
Shine Mike Johnston Signature Snare
Saluda Cymbals

http://www.myspace.com/xthelonegunmanx == friend me and say hi

Drumming is Fun!
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Jayson_X » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:06 pm

high bass drum tension? wouldn't that make my bass drum sound high pitched? bass drums are supposed to sound low right?

the 2-ply heads will still give me a low pitch with higher tension right?
Jayson_X
beginner
beginner

Postby wmpdrummer13 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:55 am

Jayson_X wrote:high bass drum tension? wouldn't that make my bass drum sound high pitched? bass drums are supposed to sound low right?

Well the bass drum is still going to be low in pitch no matter how tight you have the heads. Its not a bad thing at all to have the heads a little tight as it will make your bass drum more punchy and sound more open (air will travel faster through the drum). Ya gotta remember unless you are just drumming by yourself, the low end from the bass guitar, keyboards, electric guitar, etc will pretty much overtake the tone of your bass drum. What will make your bass drum cut through will be that you have it properly tuned so that it is wide open and doesnt have a distorted sound.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby jnewlon_drum » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:35 am

wmpdrummer13 wrote:
Jayson_X wrote:high bass drum tension? wouldn't that make my bass drum sound high pitched? bass drums are supposed to sound low right?

Well the bass drum is still going to be low in pitch no matter how tight you have the heads. Its not a bad thing at all to have the heads a little tight as it will make your bass drum more punchy and sound more open (air will travel faster through the drum). Ya gotta remember unless you are just drumming by yourself, the low end from the bass guitar, keyboards, electric guitar, etc will pretty much overtake the tone of your bass drum. What will make your bass drum cut through will be that you have it properly tuned so that it is wide open and doesnt have a distorted sound.

i agree....good post....the higher tension may take some getting use to because the beater head will rebound quicker...but this may help alittle....i personally just like using a double pedal so i dont have to worry about this lol
ADD ME ON MYSPACE... www.myspace.com/drum_4life
jnewlon_drum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Drum Lessons