Jazz Techniqes/ Tips

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Jazz Techniqes/ Tips

Postby mead50 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:12 am

Anyone wanna pass down some knowledge. Im really getting into jazz yet i still have the mind set of a rock drummer :(. And by that I mean I play way too loud, and whenever i'm done playing I remember that you know. Anyone have any tips on how to play jazz better whether it be play more loose or less loud of something.
Tama Superstar Custom Accel Driver
Zildjian Cymbals
Tama Hardware
Remo Heads
mead50
drumming adept
drumming adept

Jazz Techniqes/ Tips

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Jazz Techniqes/ Tips

Postby Alan_ » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:32 am

-listen to a lot of jazz.
-pick up Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer by Jim Chapin. this will help with the independence
-listen to more jazz.
-play to fit the volume of the ensemble you're playing with. playing in a big band can require just as much volume as playing in a rock band.
-adjust the balance of your limbs to feature the ride cymbal more than in a rock setting.
-listen to more jazz. if you're going to try to play a style of music, you need to get in the headspace that style demands.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby mead50 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:43 am

awesome. thanks man. quick questions though

-is playing a bass too hard bad? My jazz director tells me never too use bass. I used to always play bass really loud like in rock music but he just told me never to play it at all. We have like a 22 bass i think.

-how many styles of jazz are there? (be-bop,fusion, big band......)

-what drummers/bands do you guys recommend? Albums? I barely got into jazz, i havent been playing that long and i wanna listen to some good jazz music.

-Any good books on the genre? Not mainly drums, but jazz in general. I would like to read up on the history of jazz and not just play it you know.

-Who started jazz drumming or who does everybody take examples from? I've heard its MAx Roach, but then I heard it was Chick Webb but yea....Who started this?
Tama Superstar Custom Accel Driver
Zildjian Cymbals
Tama Hardware
Remo Heads
mead50
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Alan_ » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:56 am

-is playing a bass too hard bad? My jazz director tells me never too use bass. I used to always play bass really loud like in rock music but he just told me never to play it at all. We have like a 22 bass i think.

When keeping time, unless you're playing oldschool dixieland or trying to play big band swing authentically in a 30's style, it's usually not correct to play the bass drum loud all the time. Accents should be played louder, of course. There's an art to playing the bass drum quietly enough that it more reinforces the bass player than actually is heard as a voice in its own right. VERY quietly. this is called "feathering" the bass drum, and it's not easy to do if you've never done it.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby Rob Crisp » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Alan_ wrote:-is playing a bass too hard bad? My jazz director tells me never too use bass. I used to always play bass really loud like in rock music but he just told me never to play it at all. We have like a 22 bass i think.

When keeping time, unless you're playing oldschool dixieland or trying to play big band swing authentically in a 30's style, it's usually not correct to play the bass drum loud all the time. Accents should be played louder, of course. There's an art to playing the bass drum quietly enough that it more reinforces the bass player than actually is heard as a voice in its own right. VERY quietly. this is called "feathering" the bass drum, and it's not easy to do if you've never done it.

Not wrong, it's really hard to play that quietly and sometimes quickly! An inch off the head or so, very very light! Then accents when you drop the bombs :D
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Postby Alan_ » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:25 pm

you need to do research. there's a continuum of styles that all kind of bleed into one another. there's no way I could answer some of your questions in the context of a messageboard post. That would be like trying to condense the history of rock and roll in a paragraph.

A few albums I love are

John Coltrane:
My Favorite Things
A Love Supreme

Miles Davis:
Live at the Plugged Nickel
Nefertiti
Sketches of Spain
Birth of the Cool
Miles Smiles
Live Evil

Dave Brubeck:
Take Five

Ornette Coleman
Free Jazz
Ornette!

Chick Corea:
Return to Forever

Buddy Rich:
Class of '78

That's a good smattering of different very individual styles right there.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby rlrrll » Wed May 06, 2009 11:31 am

+1 on everything Alan said.

I find that when I play jazz, using traditional grip puts me more into the right feel. I don't know why, but I just feel more relaxed playing jazz that way. Also, I think your set up does affect your ability to get into a "jazz mood". I can swing all day on my little Ringo-style Ludwig kit, but on my DW's, not so much!

By the way -- don't pay to much attention to your band director about "what is correct" for jazz drumming. Go listen to some Miles Davis and you get everything you need to know!
Tom Coyne

Drummer/Performer/Teacher/Author

Vic Firth Education Team Member

The Last Dance/Red Lily/The Prophetess/Frankenstein/Mercurine/45 Grave

myspace.com/tomcoynedrumteacher

thelastdance.com
rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Jason11 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:19 am

The Art of Bop Drumming by John Riley provides a lot of techniques as well as the The Art of Modern Jazz Drumming by Jack De Johnette.

I think the Riley book is easier to understand.
Jason11
new
new

Postby benbenfrank » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:11 pm

listen to art blakey & and the jazz messengers nigt in tunisia dexter gordon dexter call
benbenfrank
new
new

Return to Drum Lessons