Playing with fingers in traditional grip

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby blink44 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:35 pm

i want to learn how to play with my fingers in traditional grip.
thank you for the help.
blink44
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Playing with fingers in traditional grip

Postby reticent » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:01 pm

Watch the Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapon DVD. He explains 2 or 3 techniques really well.
2 * 3 * 3 * 37 : The prime factorization of The Beast
reticent
beginner
beginner

Postby Virtuososiosity » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:01 am

you've got a couple ways to do this.

You can use your thumb and wrist which is how most of the greats do it. It just takes a lot longer to get down.

or you can flip your hand over and use your pointer and middle fingers alternating to push the stick down.

I generally use moller though.

And lastly you can use one handed rolls.

RIGHT HAND:
stick is at 90. arm at zero.
throw the bead of the stick down for the first hit.
your hand should be at a downward angle and u should let the stick come back up to 90.
the key is to not choke the stick and stay relaxed.
the second stroke happens during a combination of your fingers and your wrist coming back to the starting point.

HUGE TIP:
Utilize your thumb to get a little more power and control in the strokes.

LEFT HAND:
I was refering to the buddy rich style roll. Which i can't do YET so heres a vid with explanation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-4s2yN6PIE
A good drummer emphasizes Feel and Groove.

A great drummer emphasizes Chops, Independence, Phrasing, Technique, Speed, Dynamics, and Creativity.

And a Virtuoso emphasizes all of them.
Virtuososiosity
beginner
beginner

Postby SGarrett » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:58 am

Search YouTube for BillRayDrums. Bill has a pretty good break down of the grip.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby jnewlon_drum » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:28 pm

watch this video...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Zlk1Vd_2lw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Zlk1Vd_2lw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

some other things that i learned from marching snare for 6 years and using traditional grip is....
-when ur holding the stick ur thumb should be resting on the 1st knuckle of ur 1st finger (that forms the folcrum or balance point on the stick)
-the stick should be resting on ur ring fingers fingernail
-when u hold the stick there shouldnt be any gaps inbetween ur ur fingers (it should look almost like ur flipping someone off only dont extend ur middle finger out have it slightly curved, resting naturally on the stick)
-if sumone was to pour water on the top of ur hand it shouldnt be able to collect water in the palm (if it could collect water, then ur hand is open to much)
-and when ur playing with this technique dont have a death grip on the stick ur middle finger, ring finger, and pinky are mainly there to control the stick so u should have a lose grip with those fingers and let the stick rebound naturally
ADD ME ON MYSPACE... www.myspace.com/drum_4life
jnewlon_drum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Drum Lessons