Heel question.

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

tramium
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:16 am

I play heel down. I've always tried to play heel up and a mixture of heel up and heel toe but never really managed to get it right. Also ive seen some drummers do this but a sort of hi-hat splash thing with their heel. I can do this sometimes. But most of the time it doesnt work. I think if i can master that it will help with my heel toe playing. Right now I can play fairly fast with singles on the double bass pedal, but from what ive seen learning heel toe will basically double that speed. Any help will be appreciated.
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:59 pm

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KLn44QffuEY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KLn44QffuEY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

im pretty sure you need special pedals to play heel toe. i think you need either an axis longboard or a trick bigfoot but this kid shows you how to play heel toe pretty well
screw you mike
tramium
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:58 am

ah, that would explain a lot. Although i have heard this is not true. I do have difficulty getting heel shots on my pedal because its short (iron cobra). I definitely cant afford an axis long pedal though.
Funk pipe
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:27 am

Try the constant release technique, which is similar to heel toe except you use your toe and the ball of your foot, you do a heel up stroke (this is the toe strike) then simply drop your foot to create the second stroke with the ball of your foot. There's also the slide technique which you could try out too. However you do not need a special pedal to do heel-toe, unless you've got ridiculously oversized feet you should be fine on most pedals.

Here's some vid's demonstrating the constant release technique...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqj3p8rF4ew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCLVHgmFXRg

And slide...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ayYI3Y5k4

Oh and tramium , you don't need to raise your heel all that high above the footboard to be doing heel up, lots of drummers use a technique called flatfoot where you only raise your heel by a couple of centimeters or so above the footboard, and you can use your ankles only in heel up, you don't need to use your whole leg.
To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems

- Homer Simpson, legend
SGarrett

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:31 am

^^^I was just about to recommend constant release. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
tramium
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:52 pm

Hmmm...I've seen these techniques before. It seems when im going fast i seem to use a bit of everything. My heel toe kinda ends up being a slide, like i do a double hit with a slide up but controlled. Also when I start playing fast i start to use the swivel too. I'de really like to perfect heel up but it always feels so awkward since ive been playing 3+ years heel down haha.
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:37 pm

yeah dude me too. playing heels down is the most natural way to play your kicks, but try the constant release. helps alot with heels up. it used to hurt but then i started using constant release and it became alot easier.

and funk pipe, how would a person like me play heel toe with size 13 shoes? im guessing i would need the special pedal
screw you mike
tramium
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:24 pm

yea I think i can do the constant release, its basically heel toe but less heel-ish lol. still a rocking motion though somewhat. Im a size 12 shoe and its hard to do heel toe.
SGarrett

Post Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:51 am

The main difference between constant release and heel/toe is that the heel doesn't strike the footboard in constant release like it does in heel/toe.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
40th
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:11 pm

I have these same issues with my feet. I cannot ever get one technique down to actually work well for me. I see someone do something, then I say "wow, I want to learn that", but then nothing comes of it. Youtube is awesome. Now, I can see a difference.

tramium, work with a metronome for speed...start where you are comfortable and od that for a long time, then up the speed a little so you start to add speed! Works like a charm for my stick abilities! Dont see why it wouldnt work for feet.
Han Solo: Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?

Luke Skywalker: What a piece of junk!

Han Solo: She'll make point five past lightspeed.

Chewy: Word