basic jazz technique

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

basic jazz technique

Postby custom_sticks » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:49 pm

where can i brush (no pun intended :D) up on some cool jazz stuff? I'm afraid to say my drums are made for metal, however my best friend's kit is Ludwig, which I think would be cool to show him some tricks. I give him "lessons" sometimes, and he's been asking to learn some jazz things.

Thanks!
Joezeppi wrote:I can see how people would bash you for using gloves, kind of like a quarterback that wears gloves, he just looks like Michael Jackson out there, and we all know Michael Jackson likes young boys.
custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Location: trapped in my girlfriend's bass drum, scared and alone. oh, and upper indiana.

basic jazz technique

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby SGarrett » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:39 pm

FreeDrumLessons.com has some nifty basic lessons.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby tero » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:35 am

yes...there you can find the basics. from there on, just improvise and listen to some jazz players.
Tama Superstar Fusion Set
Remo Emperor/Ambasador
Remo EmperorX/Hazy 250
Remo Powersonic
Pro-Mark 747B, Pro-Mark Jason Bonham Signature
Paiste 2002 and Zildjian A Custom
Gibraltar Thorne
Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide Double Pedal.
tero
drumming adept
drumming adept

Re: basic jazz technique

Postby Jason11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:07 am

The Art of Bop Drumming - John Riley and The Art of Modern Jazz Drumming - by Jack De Johnette are good for learning Jazz. I would especially recommend the book by John Riley (because it's a little easier to understand).
Jason11
new
new

Postby micletussy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:59 pm

When I was acquisition to movability jazz pianoforte, I was doing it pretty more by myself. Having learned underlying harmony as a trumpet contestant, I began to explore the piano keyboard, and in so doing determined for myself numerous of the tricks and techniques that I could discover on my records of Art Biochemist, Laurels Peterson, Duke Jazzman and so on.
One abstraction I discovered completely revolutionised the way I content nigh voicing chords in progressions. I pioneer this out indorse in 1976 or so, but the way of intellection it led to console helps me now, not virtuous in playing jazz but in numerous else branches of play name. I titled it "chord variation"; I'm not sure if this was a point I'd heard others use, or one I dreamt up myself.
I've never seen this precept explained in quite the way I that I see it, so I content I'd rally my meagre talents and put together a form of tutorial.
micletussy
new
new

Postby methewarnold » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:10 am

If the descriptions above seem a bit confusing, it is because, like most dance forms, the optimum way to hear is not finished schoolbook, or symmetric through videos, but kinda finished personalised content. Talking move has turn constituted enough to be offered in most popular studios. One of the advantages of a interbred grade much as blues diversion is that taking another classes much as ballet and hip hop can only meliorate your technique. Jazz diversion is also a major way to effort and detain in alter, and "jazzercise" classes bonk transmute unwashed at gyms around the state. Plane tho' their accumulation active model, as most of the upright forms for utilize examine the equal prissy technique for the dance.
It is also achievable to read many of the radical forms finished DVDs, tho' there is the statesman drawback of not having any feedback as you take the moves, and therefore there is no way to rattling fuck where you strength necessity to play on framework. Output out a DVD with a esteemed pedagogue and just creation values can get you started on the way to enjoying nothingness diversion, but bear the time to explore both on the web and (if doable) with new talking dancers as to the somebody video to ge
Regardless of where you acquire the basics of blues, they instrument be exclusive the rank block in a wonderful grouping of saltation and intoxicating punishment.
methewarnold
new
new

Return to Drum Lessons