for all you teachers out there...

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

mead50
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:48 am

how would u guys start them off?

im just thinking this out of my mind:

Show them how to properly hold drum sticks, practice single strokes on a practice pad,doulbles, etc.

rudiments

then show them how u can use those on the drum set

examples as paradiddles as a fill or as a groove something like that

just to start them off, then move on to something else.

reason im asking this is because when im older i wanna open my own drum shop and teach there, and well i wanna start right now teaching so i can have some experience, im probably gonna teach my friend michelle and charge her like 1 dollar a hour or something, just to experiment
Tama Superstar Custom Accel Driver
Zildjian Cymbals
Tama Hardware
Remo Heads
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:54 am

mead50 wrote:how would u guys start them off?

Show them how to properly hold drum sticks, practice single strokes on a practice pad,doulbles, etc.

rudiments

reason im asking this is because when im older i wanna open my own drum shop and teach there, and well i wanna start right now teaching so i can have some experience, im probably gonna teach my friend michelle and charge her like 1 dollar a hour or something, just to experiment
I dont think I would bore new students with the rudiments just yet, especially straight up beginners. Just break them in with messing around with the drums, hitting them, random things. Then introducing them to the first beat.
mead50
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:53 pm

Eliminator wrote:
mead50 wrote:how would u guys start them off?

rudiments

I dont think I would bore new students with the rudiments just yet, especially straight up beginners. Just break them in with messing around with the drums, hitting them, random things. Then introducing them to the first beat.

eee thats how i started dude and i regret not learning rudiments and stuff like that

i started to get bad technique and it took me some weeks to shake it off, plus i had no teacher to tell me wut im doing wrong

but yea basic rudiments i mean not flams and stuff or maybe, depends on how they progress and stuff
Tama Superstar Custom Accel Driver
Zildjian Cymbals
Tama Hardware
Remo Heads