for all you teachers out there...

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

J-rod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:05 pm

so i was down at my local music store today talking to the guy who owns the place, one thing led to another i played a little bit for him and im about to become their house drum teacher. This will be my first time giving lessons, ive taken them for years but never been on the other side of the arrangement. So, any advice for a soon-to-be first time teacher?
dw collector series maple
zildjian and saluda cymbals
dw and yamaha snares
dw hardware
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:19 pm

Be very, very, very patient.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
ChrisNichols
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:26 pm

Mitchell? wrote:Be very, very, very patient.

Word.

And start 'em off easy, don't overwhelm them with too much right off the bat. I usually start students off with one or two basic grooves and rudiments, and a modest amount of technique coaching, and then gradually introduce more ideas with each lesson.
This could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire.
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:40 pm

ChrisNichols wrote:
Mitchell? wrote:Be very, very, very patient.

Word.

And start 'em off easy, don't overwhelm them with too much right off the bat. I usually start students off with one or two basic grooves and rudiments, and a modest amount of technique coaching, and then gradually introduce more ideas with each lesson.

Word.

I'm actually doing guitar and bass lessons right now, but I've got a drum student lined up finally, dunno when we can start though.

Be very supportive, don't overwhelm them, be patient, and challenge them.

Inspiring them is just as important as challenging them, because if you work 'em til they bleed, you'll scare 'em off drums usually.

Inspire, and challenge. :wink:
ImageImageImage
SGarrett

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:33 pm

Watch and observe, ask questions and listen to the answers, and focus on your student's needs instead of your own wants.

Like Mitchell and Chris said, go slowly and work on a few things at a time instead of trying to do a lot at once.

And above all else, keep it fun and give lots of positive reinforcement.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:57 pm

SGarrett wrote:Watch and observe, ask questions and listen to the answers, and focus on your student's needs instead of your own wants.

Like Mitchell and Chris said, go slowly and work on a few things at a time instead of trying to do a lot at once.

And above all else, keep it fun and give lots of positive reinforcement.

Yeah, keepin' it fun is very important. Otherwise, you can turn your student off from drumming, or at least you as a teacher.
ImageImageImage
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:54 am

I remember my old drum teacher was thinkin about packing his teaching in because of the amount of kids coming in wanting to learn drums, but they dont really want to, its just a phase for them. He just had to grin and bear it! lol
Opopanax
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:21 am

Tell them to use a metronome at least some of the time :D
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:30 am

Faster isn't better, groove is the real deal! If I'd take lessons I'd be most interested in technique and rudimental training. I doubt any 8-14 year old would be of the same opinion though!
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:47 am

Every student is different and you need to figure out how to connect with them.

One student I had had ADD and lessons with her were always a challenge. I found that the best way to get her to focus was to actually challenge her, almost make out she couldn't get it, but in a jokey way. She wanted to prove me wrong ALL the time. What she didn't realise was by proving me "wrong" she was proving me right.

Another student needed constant reassurance and loads of praise to build his confidence.

Once you have that rapport you're halfway there to winning the battle and getting them to put time in at home.

I'd also say, never be caught short without something to work on with a student. Have some reading material, playalong tracks and various books to work with.
J-rod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:18 am

thanks for the advice. I was planning on having any new students acquire stick control, as well as syncopation for the moddern drummer as that is where my first teacher started with me, and i have my notebook from years of lessons with tons of good excersises written in their by my teachers. I figured if they were completly new i would just start them on snare with reading basic notes and playing straight eigths as single strokes doubles and as paradiddles. This was how i started playing drums so i think it would be the easiest way for me to go about it. Any advice on other good books to have for more advanced students or just to cover some other important stuff?
dw collector series maple
zildjian and saluda cymbals
dw and yamaha snares
dw hardware
Kris
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:17 am

Relax and make it enjoyable for both you and your student. Remember to always explain the why and not just the how as well. I have found that once people understand the relevance in what they are doing it makes learning easier...with drumming it's all about building blocks, and the hardest thing for any new or learning drummer is patience....you have to crawl before you can walk. Wax on wax off!

if you get my meaning.
Be Strong to Endure - Endure to be Strong !
www.krisardolino.com
http://www.myspace.com/krisardolino
rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:06 pm

All good points here so far.

I think it's very important that you have A TEACHING SYSTEM that you can always go to when questions come up regarding where to start with a student or what new concepts to get into after you've been through the basics. The books you mentioned are an excellent place to start, but what songs are you going to use to demonstrate the lessons in the books? Which videos will you use? Which exercised will you use every time, an which ones will you skip? What order will you go through the different styles in (rock, 6/8 and then or 16ths, or 16th and then 6/8??)

Having a system will keep you on task and keep your students coming back to you for a long time!

If you don't have a system, build one. It's sounds like you already have some ideas. If you don't want to build one, steal one!!
I can send you some stuff, and maybe others on DML will also. But ya' gotta ask real nice!!

Good Luck,

tc
Tom Coyne

Drummer/Performer/Teacher/Author

Vic Firth Education Team Member

The Last Dance/Red Lily/The Prophetess/Frankenstein/Mercurine/45 Grave

myspace.com/tomcoynedrumteacher

thelastdance.com
mead50
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:09 pm