full drum set tunings

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Relics
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:09 am

do any of you guys tune your sets into specific pitches and relations? for instance all the toms are in thirds, or the bass and snare in fifths and such?

i was searching around and i didnt see much mention of it, and i was just wondering if it really makes a noticeable difference, or if its just to much of a hassle. ive heard of studio drummers tuning their toms to the key of the song though, and i just wanted to see what everyone else thought of it.

sorry if this is in the wrong section, i didnt see any one that stood out for tuning.
SGarrett

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:52 am

My toms and kick are all tuned, roughly, to thirds and my snare is tuned to whatever I want...usually pretty close to the 10" tom. It makes a tremendous difference when your drums are well tuned. If you've never had a band or musician thank you for tuning your drums, you don't know what you're missing. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:54 pm

I know lot's of people that tune to pitch. I know lot's that don't. Tuning is a lot about personal preference. It's all about getting a sound that makes you happy, so experiment. Try lot's of different tuning.

Read this

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/index.html

it's quite possibly one of the greatest websites ever, lol
My Gear:

Shine Defenition Series Drum Set
Shine Mike Johnston Signature Snare
Saluda Cymbals

http://www.myspace.com/xthelonegunmanx == friend me and say hi

Drumming is Fun!
Relics
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:31 pm

yah ive read the professor sound stuff, very helpful, and ive always kept my drums "tuned," but im just now learning about tuning them to harmonize with eachother, and to more definite pitches.

i was going to try tuning my drums to the key of the next song i record to see if it is very noticeable.
SGarrett

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:46 pm

Keep in mind that drums are not definite pitch instruments. In order to tune to actual notes you need shells that aren't made out of a naturally resonant material, like fiberglass, acrylic, or carbon fiber...or DW's pancake toms. What I do is just try to find tunings that work well with particular songs. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to get your drums tuned to the key of every song.

It really does make a difference. I track a lot of singer/songwriter pop/rock so my toms are usually tuned pretty high. I'm also tracking a demo album of down-tempo and bass heavy music where that tom tuning doesn't work at all. For those songs I tune my toms down because the tuning fits better.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."