Song question

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

youngdrummer1993
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:51 am

Alright, I'm having some difficulty learning songs.

I can know the song by heart, but it still takes me a week to learn them. I want to shorten this up to a day, maybe 2 at the max.

Any tips?
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:19 am

When you need to learn a song quickly, learn the structure. THAT is the important thing.

Once you have that down and you know where the verses and chorus' etc come in and fade away, where all the changes are you can actually sit and play it.

Some songs have signature fills or parts that you really want to nail. For those you have to sit and work it out, then practice it slowly until it finally clicks and you can hit it during the tune.

I understand you want to play songs, but rather then work on learning indevidual songs, you'd be better off working on technique and co-ordination exercises. What happens then is you don't have to sit and leanr a song, you sing it in your head and it comes out on the drums. That's when you're killing it.

Think of it like talking, you know what you want to say and it just comes.
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:41 am

I just went through a situation where I had to learn about 50 songs in 3 or so days. Everyone learns best through different mediums, whether is through listening, or visual, or writing. I learn the best through writing so I know that if I can sit down and write out the song structure, phrase lengths, and any notes orchestration and fill placement. I can get most songs down pretty fast.

An interesting quirk of this is that if I do the same thing and just type it all on the computer, I wont remember it, I've got to physically write it down with a pen or pencil, then I can type it up, but I find the whole process really interesting.

Rob touched on this and I'll just reiterate it. The better your technique and coordination before you start learning the song the easier it will be to learn it. Because then you're not teaching your body new things, but just letting things your body can already do out.
My Gear:

Shine Defenition Series Drum Set
Shine Mike Johnston Signature Snare
Saluda Cymbals

http://www.myspace.com/xthelonegunmanx == friend me and say hi

Drumming is Fun!
youngdrummer1993
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:08 pm

Thanks guys :D.