How long should you practice drums?

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

JasonDeLima
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:50 pm

eml wrote:You could take your favorite song and extract the drum parts and learn the song perfectly. Depending on what the drummer plays you might just learn a lot. :)

What I do, is after I warm up, and improvise the best that I could, I put my iPod on shuffle, stick in the in-ear earbuds, and jam to the song.
I made up a sick drumbeat to "Eleanor Rigby" today, and learned a little about "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", by doing a little Beatles jam.
Ludwig
Saluda
Remo
3drumsticks
YouTube
MySpace
William Allen White
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:53 am

If you really want to learn some great things to practice that will make you a better drummer, start taking lessons from Mike Johnston over the internet. www.mikeslessons.com I've been doing those lessons from the beginning and I'm a worst twice the drummer I was 2 months ago. Sign up and please tell them TheLoneGunman sent you. I guarantee you'll learn a lot and get better. Learn linear fills, crazy grooves, latin playing, polyrhythms, pretty much everything. It's only $20 a month. That's nuthin.
My Gear:

Shine Defenition Series Drum Set
Shine Mike Johnston Signature Snare
Saluda Cymbals

http://www.myspace.com/xthelonegunmanx == friend me and say hi

Drumming is Fun!
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:47 am

I was gonna take up lessons again for some reason, but theres no point really, I just need a good plan for practice and use my free time better!
Going through your rudiments on a practice pad before you go out on the drums is a great thing, makes you play so much better and limits the chance of you getting pissed off behind yer kit lol.

I miss the 2 month off summers, I got next week off work - so I know exactly what Im gonna do with that!
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:48 pm

Eliminator wrote:I was gonna take up lessons again for some reason, but theres no point really

I highly disagree with that statement. Having a good teacher is beneficial in a myriad of ways. Having someone focus your learning, inspire and drive you to be better is invaluable. I've learned more in two months taking lessons from Mike Johnston than I did in 12 years of me teaching myself. That being said, there's nothing worse than having a bad teacher.

But there's a lot of people here that can focus, inspire, and drive your drumming too. I personally think mixing teaching yourself and getting lessons and any other way of learning are all good.
My Gear:

Saluda Cymbals

Drumming is Fun!
DrumsPlus
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:57 pm

TheLoneGunman wrote:
Eliminator wrote:I was gonna take up lessons again for some reason, but theres no point really

I highly disagree with that statement. Having a good teacher is beneficial in a myriad of ways. Having someone focus your learning, inspire and drive you to be better is invaluable. I've learned more in two months taking lessons from Mike Johnston than I did in 12 years of me teaching myself. That being said, there's nothing worse than having a bad teacher.

But there's a lot of people here that can focus, inspire, and drive your drumming too. I personally think mixing teaching yourself and getting lessons and any other way of learning are all good.

+1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:04 am

Oh yea im all up for getting a good teacher again, eventually. I have slacked in my drumming over the past few months, but thats been because of lack of time with work an all. It eats up your life!! :evil:
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:07 am

i usual practice rudiments and the like while watching TV or looking on this forum because im not ment to play after 6pm when my parents get home. so when i get on the kit i either just work on grooves or chuck my mp3 in my ear and play along to whatever i can, for some reason i seem to subconsciously know most of the drumming to songs i've never played or specifically listened to for drums, you'll probably find the same.

But a good plan to every practice would be:
warm up (hands and feet)- 10-30 minutes
learn something SIMPLE- 10-30 minutes
drill that idea into your head by either playing along to music or just mucking around with it- 10-30 minutes

Thats what I'm going to aim to start doing because i've only been playing for a year or so
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
So Is The Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:29 am

when i talked to chris pennie he said he would practice for 6-8 hours at a time.

i feel like you should really push yourself to the limit. i learned from training for soccer that when you're physically or mentally exhausted so bad that you think you can't go one more second, and you make yourself keep going, improvement is almost inevitable.

this doesnt necesarily apply to everything that goes along with playing the drums and it isnt a philosophy i can always implement myself. but theres still a lot of times where i am suckin' wind and burnin' by the time i am done.

im sure a good portion of that is from smoking and sub-par technique but it's not about where you're at but where you're goin. :)
"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell." www.soisthetongue.com
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:55 am

So Is The Drummer wrote:when i talked to chris pennie he said he would practice for 6-8 hours at a time.

i feel like you should really push yourself to the limit. i learned from training for soccer that when you're physically or mentally exhausted so bad that you think you can't go one more second, and you make yourself keep going, improvement is almost inevitable.

this doesnt necesarily apply to everything that goes along with playing the drums and it isnt a philosophy i can always implement myself. but theres still a lot of times where i am suckin' wind and burnin' by the time i am done.

im sure a good portion of that is from smoking and sub-par technique but it's not about where you're at but where you're goin. :)

I met Chris last Sunday and will likely see him again tomorrow. What a great guy and when it comes to playing, he KILLS it on such a simple set up. His commitment to practice really shows.

I try to do about 3/4 hours a day of relaxed practice, if not more with rehearsals/gigs. Freestrokes 2-50 around 45 minutes, half hour moeller exercise, hour and half working my feet including left foot workout (just started that). Then I spend some time practicing open handed and on Jim Chapins book, Advanced Techniques... both right AND left hand lead. Again, that's a new book I started after DRT.

I do need to rework my routine to get everything in now.

When I say relaxed, I practice and do household type jobs in between different exercises.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:13 am

I've been practicing about 30 minutes to 2 hours a day. It's hard to fit more than that in, as I'm playing in 3 bands, composing electronic music for what I hope will be an album (gotta find a new record company, the old one is not planning any more releases for a while), working 40 hours a week, and maintaining a relationship. I'm definitely playing a lot more than that, but I want to fit more disciplined practice into my schedule.
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:57 am

After my two gigs last weekend, I slacked on my practice this week. Man did I feel it at my gig tonight. I'm defenently gonna get some practice in before my gig tonight. I can be going into my gigs feeling all noobified because I didn't practice again, I don't like that feeling on unsureness about my playing. I wanna be with it and ready to go. Gotta make those peoples dance!
My Gear:

Saluda Cymbals

Drumming is Fun!
So Is The Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:51 am

Rob Crisp wrote:
So Is The Drummer wrote:when i talked to chris pennie he said he would practice for 6-8 hours at a time.

I met Chris last Sunday and will likely see him again tomorrow. What a great guy and when it comes to playing, he KILLS it on such a simple set up. His commitment to practice really shows.

I try to do about 3/4 hours a day of relaxed practice, if not more with rehearsals/gigs. Freestrokes 2-50 around 45 minutes, half hour moeller exercise, hour and half working my feet including left foot workout (just started that). Then I spend some time practicing open handed and on Jim Chapins book, Advanced Techniques... both right AND left hand lead. Again, that's a new book I started after DRT.

I do need to rework my routine to get everything in now.

When I say relaxed, I practice and do household type jobs in between different exercises.

i took a private lesson with him once and i ended up just pickin his brain for a while. really nice guy and truly awesome drummer. he busted out some stuff for me that day that dropped my jaw, and i was pretty keen on dillinger escape plans drumming at that point. i couldn't play it, but i knew what was goin on and i could follow it. he asked me what direction i wanted to go, so i start naming things off like different time sigs with different limbs and 4 limb independence, and he just starts busting everything out after i say it like nothin. i was not ready for that. he wrote down some exercises on the inside cover of my stick control book too which i think is pretty neat.
"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell." www.soisthetongue.com
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:51 pm

TheLoneGunman wrote:If you really want to learn some great things to practice that will make you a better drummer, start taking lessons from Mike Johnston over the internet. www.mikeslessons.com I've been doing those lessons from the beginning and I'm a worst twice the drummer I was 2 months ago. Sign up and please tell them TheLoneGunman sent you. I guarantee you'll learn a lot and get better. Learn linear fills, crazy grooves, latin playing, polyrhythms, pretty much everything. It's only $20 a month. That's nuthin.

This is a GREAT suggestion!

AND... Ready for this?

EVERYBODY that attended Drum Road Trip 2008 will have a chance to win lessons from Mike Johnston over the internet. I think ANDY, (Drums Plus) made an arrangement for us to give away three or four LIFETIME memberships to the site... that contest will be posting the first week of August after we announce the winner of the July contest for the Cowbell.

And ANDY, Do me a favor and correct anything I got wrong as far as the details are concerned.
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:19 pm

zen_drummer wrote:
TheLoneGunman wrote:If you really want to learn some great things to practice that will make you a better drummer, start taking lessons from Mike Johnston over the internet. www.mikeslessons.com I've been doing those lessons from the beginning and I'm a worst twice the drummer I was 2 months ago. Sign up and please tell them TheLoneGunman sent you. I guarantee you'll learn a lot and get better. Learn linear fills, crazy grooves, latin playing, polyrhythms, pretty much everything. It's only $20 a month. That's nuthin.

This is a GREAT suggestion!

AND... Ready for this?

EVERYBODY that attended Drum Road Trip 2008 will have a chance to win lessons from Mike Johnston over the internet. I think ANDY, (Drums Plus) made an arrangement for us to give away three or four LIFETIME memberships to the site... that contest will be posting the first week of August after we announce the winner of the July contest for the Cowbell.

And ANDY, Do me a favor and correct anything I got wrong as far as the details are concerned.

looking forward to see who got their grubby mitts on that there cowbell
Silverfox Drumsticks UK Artist
Soultone Cymbals UK Artist
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:34 pm

F the cowbell! Me want lessons! (no offense Brother Duba)

For years I thought self taught was the way. Now I know better. You can tell yourself you are doing something right, a teacher will tell you when you are doing something WRONG!
I wish I had had this epiphany earlier, but it's never too late.

Oh, and everybody please give Andy(drumsplus) a round of applause! The guy does a fine stroke of business for DRT. :wink:
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT