I fail at technique.

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

youngdrummer1993
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:34 am

Alright, I'm a pretty new drummer (last November) and I need tips on what to work on.

I can do basic beats. I "made up" a jazz beat, and I can do a rock beat. I can also do a few odd-signature beats.

I have double kick pedals, so I'll need some exercises for those.

Basically all I want to do is expand my knowledge. I know some rudiments (paradiddle, roll, flam) so I'll nee dhelp with those too.

I'll be needing some exercises to help with timing, syncopation, etc.

Thanks guys I hope you can help :].
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:51 am

Hey I've drummed like a month longer than you only! :)

Do you play in a band? That helps a lot with keeping time, well at least getting a good feel for when 1&2&3&4& is, keeping tempo is another issue though. I've found that playing with music (mp3 player) or jamming with a metronome is great. To be honest I believe you've come further than me but that's what I can offer in terms of help. :)

Welcome to the board!
youngdrummer1993
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:57 am

eml wrote:Hey I've drummed like a month longer than you only! :)

Do you play in a band? That helps a lot with keeping time, well at least getting a good feel for when 1&2&3&4& is, keeping tempo is another issue though. I've found that playing with music (mp3 player) or jamming with a metronome is great. To be honest I believe you've come further than me but that's what I can offer in terms of help. :)

Welcome to the board!

I'd have to get some drummers headphones if I was going to jam out to an mp3.

I've already attempted to learn a a few songs, but it's difficult without headphones.
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:08 am

definetly invest in a metrenome it'll either be your best friend or your worst enemy but it can do nothing but help. for help on syncopation I would suggest buying the book Syncopation by Ted Reed. If you cant read music at least try to learn a little bit. For hand speed play the single stroke roll one hit on each hand(RLRL) at a slow tempo then when your comfortable try it a little faster for 10-15 minutes a day.
Then the same thing with the double stroke 2 hits with each hand(RRLL)for 10-15 minutes. As far as general knowledge all I can suggest is listen to all diffrent kinds of music. From Rock and Metal to funk and Jazz, R&B to Blues.
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:11 am

youngdrummer1993 wrote:

Welcome to the board!

I've already attempted to learn a a few songs, but it's difficult without headphones.

Not necesarily, I just use my mp3 earphones and then put some ear defenders (like ones used on construction sites - fairly cheap) over the top, works well and you don't have to fork out alot for proper noise-cancelling headphones.
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash

Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:55 am

SlackBackLazy wrote:
youngdrummer1993 wrote:

Welcome to the board!

Not necesarily, I just use my mp3 earphones and then put some ear defenders (like ones used on construction sites - fairly cheap) over the top, works well and you don't have to fork out alot for proper noise-cancelling headphones.

That's what I do too.

Just get these:

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Profession ... dpp_ttl_in
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Asdex
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:46 am

Play along to a metronome! It'll help you a lot!
Tama Superstar SX52
Tama Warlord Masai Snare
Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
Zildjian A custom, A Zildjian, K Hybrid, FX, ZXT and ZBT cymbals
Remo and Evans heads
Quinn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:31 pm

I'm a new drummer, too. I begin my practice sessions by working on technique. I usually start on my practice pad with the basic rudiments, making sure that my arms and shoulders stay relaxed and the pad does the work of rebounding the sticks. I can't play them too fast yet, but my control and consistency are getting better and better.

Once I'm warmed up, I get behind the kit and do the same thing with my feet, concentrating especially on paraddidles and drags. Then I mix in my feet and hands, concentrating especially on cross-body combinations (bass drum w/snare; ride cymbal with high hat.) Once I've done all those combinations, I move on to whatever else I want to work on (basic beats, playing along with tracks, etc.) Hope this is helpful.
If the butts ain't movin', the cuts ain't groovin'.
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:45 pm

Hey man, welcome to the board!

When it comes to drums, technique is everything. When you have to tools you can build whatever house you like, weather that's metal, jazz, funk or whatever else you like house.

Work on technique, moeller and free strokes, the rest will fall into place gradually. There are some great bits here... http://www.vicfirth.com/education/index.html

Check the rudiments, Dom Famularo's lessons etc and take it slow. You'll be grand!
:-)
chocobebear
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:20 pm

do paradiddles between:
-left hand and right hand
-left hand and right foot
-left hand and left foot
-right hand and right foot
-right hand and left foot
-right foot and left foot

do this everyday and it will help a lot in independence and syncopation
LET YOUR DRUMS DO THE TALKING
SGarrett

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:05 pm

This is my advice to brand new drummers. First, don't worry about syncopation until you can play on-beat solidly. This won't happen in your first few months. Second, playing technique is more how you hold your sticks and play your pedals. Put serious effort into learning correct technique. Third, don't be concerned with playing fast right now. Just get a metronome and learn how to play solidly. Fourth, listen to music outside of your usual box to give you new ideas.

You'll notice that a few of the other guys suggested the same things. Building a solid foundation is the most important thing. It doesn't matter how wonderfully built a structure is, if the foundation isn't solid it's only a matter of time until the structure burns down, falls over, and then sinks into the swamp.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:21 am

I have been playing for like five years and... what's syncopation? I guess I do it but probably under a different name.
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash

Jimbob2020
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:11 am

Play with a metronome, go to Vic Firth's website and look up rudiments, and good luck!!
DW Collector's
Ludwig Classic Maple
Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau
Meinl Byzance, Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian Platinum Cymbals
DW 5k & 9k Hardware
Evans and Remo Heads
Vic Firth
SGarrett

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:56 pm

SlackBackLazy wrote:I have been playing for like five years and... what's syncopation? I guess I do it but probably under a different name.

In essence, moving the pulse around. Example, take your basic 2&4 on the snare, 1&3 on the kick, and 8ths on the hats. Now move the kick note from the 3 to the E of 3 and feel how that changes the pulse of each measure.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
youngdrummer1993
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:22 pm

here's a little vid of me doin some basic beats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itb7OXyhkGs