decided to take some lessons.

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

tero
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:44 am

So here is my "situation". After playing drums for aprox 5 years, i have decided to take some drum lessons. So i contacted the only drum teacher in my area (a 50 year old guy who's been playing for more tnen 40 years). So here it is me standind in the studio with him and waiting for him to start teaching. After a 30 minutes talk, he gives me a sheet of paper with some drum beats (damn....those drum beats i could play with one hand blindfolded) and leaves. He comes back after 30 minutes saying that the lesson is over.

The second time the same. The third time the same.
Eventually, i asked him if he could show me some rudiments (even though i know almost 3/4 of them). He looked at me with a long face and asked me what are those. Furthermore, i haven't seen a metronome at his place.

This thing sucks. I am back on studying by myself again. I think i will study hard this period and begin teaching. It really pisses me off not having a teacher in the whole county.
Tama Superstar Fusion Set
Remo Emperor/Ambasador
Remo EmperorX/Hazy 250
Remo Powersonic
Pro-Mark 747B, Pro-Mark Jason Bonham Signature
Paiste 2002 and Zildjian A Custom
Gibraltar Thorne
Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide Double Pedal.
Opopanax
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:38 am

That sounds like a waste of your time. I wish I could suggest something better..

Do you have DSL? I would suggest freedrumlessons.com if you haven't checked it out already. There are many good videos on rudiments, etc. I just happen to like that particular site, I know there are others.

Try not to buy their DVDs though :)
tero
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:44 am

i know that site like i know the inside of my house :D it is really good. many thanks to jared and his team.
Remo Emperor/Ambasador
Remo EmperorX/Hazy 250
Remo Powersonic
Gibraltar Thorne
SGarrett

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:34 am

MikesLessons.com. Get eight live lessons a month from Mike Johnston, in the comfort of your home.

Though I seem to the only person who can't get his damn site to work, so I can't sign up.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
tero
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:40 am

hmmm.....works just fine for me. thanks
Remo Emperor/Ambasador
Remo EmperorX/Hazy 250
Remo Powersonic
Gibraltar Thorne
SGarrett

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:32 pm

See what I mean? Terribly frustrating.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:04 am

Mate, that is horrible!

I would say go and get some serious lessons under your belt somewhere, even if it's out of Romania! Then go home and sieze the opportunity to be the best teacher around. Sounds like there's an opportunity there.