Creativity

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Battleaxe19
new
new

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:53 pm

hey guys. ive been checking this site every few days for about a month now and decided to make an account.
I'm Tyler.
I play on a Gretsch kit, and mostly just play for fun. Recently ive been playing with some friends who want to start a band, and its been way fun. But I just ahve a really hard time being creative. Mainly with fills and whatnot.

i'm a self taught drummer, ive never had a lesson in my life.

I'd really like to know what I can do to up my creativity. I know the problem most likely lies in how I practice, but yeah idk.

Any tips? iIdeas? Anything?

Thanks
-Tyler
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:00 pm

Listening to a lot of different kinds of music.

That upped my creativity by a leap. I've incorporated so many unique, and interesting things into my playing by just drawing on a lot of great music, from a lot of different styles.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
botcore69
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:11 pm

have some beginner lessons to get u started, then if u wanna caryy on taking them then thats cool. if not, take what basics youve learnt and incorporate them into your playing. stuff like flams, paradiddles and different rolls can benefit your playing so much you wunt believe it
Jimbob2020
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:18 pm

Learn snare rudiments and sticking!!!!!! And also like Mitchell said listen to different styles of music.. That helped me a lot too listening to some jazz and now it's one of my favorite genres..
DW Collector's
Ludwig Classic Maple
Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau
Meinl Byzance, Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian Platinum Cymbals
DW 5k & 9k Hardware
Evans and Remo Heads
Vic Firth
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:22 pm

yeah, having someone else's input can improve and expand your vision in ways you'd never have thought possible. get some books and steal some ideas, then apply them your own way.

I also agree with what's been said about listening to all sorts of music. Become a sponge. Try to intuit why people play what they do, as well as how. listen to some drum and bass and try to imitate the programmed drumbeats on drumkit. try to take something played on another instrument and play it on your drumkit.
lozza23_uk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:09 am

i find i hit a ledge, then a couple of months later i learn something new that changes my thunking on all my fills etc...and adds more autoplay stuff to my bag of tricks.

no-one ever notices but me...thats all that matters I suppose.

I play along to CDs try to learn the drum lines, nick the bits I like, rehash to suit, then find "ooooh I didnt know my poorly weathered hands were capable of that!"

then I go back and start again :)

practice practice practice. thats my advise (not that its worth much)
chocobebear
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:55 pm

imagination, timing, and listen to stuff you want to incorporate in your style
LET YOUR DRUMS DO THE TALKING