No lessons for 2 months, what should I do?

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

GALLUCH1215
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:22 am

My drum teacher is touring with his band for July and August. He said I could make them up or switch the teacher until he gets back. I don't really want to switch teachers because the one I have now is really experienced and I'm used to his methods so for the next two months I'm gonna need to teach myself.

I was thinking either take video drum lessons online or just learn songs and write some of my own songs and beats. Which option will boost my ability to learn more when my teacher comes back to give me lessons?[/code]
Current: Taye Beginner Set - Sabian B8/APX - PDP Hardware
Future: Taye Beginner Set - Sabian AA - Zildjian EFX - DW Hardware
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:18 am

you dont have to "make up" anything. Take this time to seriously reflect on what you have learned and apply it as many different ways as possible. practice practice practice. with some dedication your teacher'll be blown away by how much you'v progressed without him
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
40th
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:08 pm

thats good advice. I was thinking of telling you to go with a different teach for a bit. You might learn some different things, see things from a different view and learn some technical variety. Who knows, that other teacher might know somethihng that blows your mind and you absolutely have to learn the move!!!

but this time is also good for practice and perfect what you have so when your teacher gets back, he'll be ready for new material!
Han Solo: Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?

Luke Skywalker: What a piece of junk!

Han Solo: She'll make point five past lightspeed.

Chewy: Word
rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Take the summer to go over what you've learned so far. Use the ideas in you band's songs. Practice the things your weak at so when you see your teacher again, he'll go "Whoa!!"

Go see some live music and check out the drummers over the summer. It will get you motivated to practice.

Buy a "drum + one" package that's at your playing level and learn the songs.

Check out the "LESSONS" forum on this site. There's a lot of cool stuff there.

Watch all those drum videos that are in the DML video section and on Youtube, or go buy a new DVD and work with that over the summer.

Transcribe some songs. Nothing gets your reading into shape like figuring out how to write them down in standard notation.(no tabs please!!)

Give some lessons!! The best way to cement the things you've learned is to teach those things to someone else. Then you will really understand the concepts.
I tell all of my students to explain what they have learned to their Dad!

There, that should keep you busy!
Tom Coyne

Drummer/Performer/Teacher/Author

Vic Firth Education Team Member

The Last Dance/Red Lily/The Prophetess/Frankenstein/Mercurine/45 Grave

myspace.com/tomcoynedrumteacher

thelastdance.com
alexfoxx
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:08 pm

That's great advice. BTW, what is a "drum + one" package? It sounds like that would help me out too.
Manzo
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:41 pm

I've never had a teacher, but, if I did. What I would do is abuse the crap out of DVDs and Youtube videos, and then show him how much better I've improved without him. 8)
rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:53 pm

alexfoxx wrote:That's great advice. BTW, what is a "drum + one" package? It sounds like that would help me out too.

It's a CD that has two versions of each song -- one with drums, one without. They usually come with the charts so you can play exactly what the drummer did on the recording, or make up your own parts.

Here are some good ones . . .

Vic Firth "Hard and Heavy" is a selection of modern hard rock songs by the original artist (System of a Down, Anthrax, Godsmack) http://www.vicfirth.com/products/artist ... epack.html

Dave Weckl's "Contemporary Drums + 1" is good because there are charts in different styles (Jazz, fusion, jingles)
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/026521/details.html

There are lot's of books out now that feature modern rock bands like this one:
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/056361/details.html

Another good thing to do is play drums along to songs that don't have drums in them, like "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles or "We're Gonna Be Friends" by The White Stripes. That way you have to figure out what will work in the song.
Tom Coyne

Drummer/Performer/Teacher/Author

Vic Firth Education Team Member

The Last Dance/Red Lily/The Prophetess/Frankenstein/Mercurine/45 Grave

myspace.com/tomcoynedrumteacher

thelastdance.com
ChrisNichols
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:52 pm

Hey, I haven't had a lesson for over a year now, and I'm progressing faster than ever!

I just teach myself. I'll hear something cool in a song, or I'll hear of a technique or something I can't do yet, and go "hey, I want to learn how to do that!" And I just commit myself to getting it under my belt.
This could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire.