Dynamics

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

JasonDeLima
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:56 pm

How are you able to hit the drum so lightly?
For example:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7aJS1AlPikY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7aJS1AlPikY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

No matter how light I hit my drums or cymbals, they never come out as silent as his does. And I notice how low the volume can get in like other songs that I listen to.
How is this possible?
Ludwig
Saluda
Remo
3drumsticks
YouTube
MySpace
William Allen White
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:58 pm

awesome control

those drums sound awesome as well
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:13 pm

You just kinda let your hand drop, like the way you naturally do right before you bring your arms up for a big crash.

Takes some control. But I think everyone can do it.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:15 pm

i wouldn't go so far to say everyone can do it,
it takes practice
SGarrett

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:49 pm

Dynamic control definitely takes a lot of effort to learn. There are three basic stick positions. The high position is with the stick pointing straight up at about 12:00, medium is halfway between the high position and the playing surface, and low is halfway between medium and the playing surface. In order to play at those different stick heights, you have to practice playing at them.

Here's an exercise I got from Brain's Lessons that will work on the high and low positions. First, start in the high position and play a full stroke that stops in the low position. Second, play a "tap" and return to the low position. Third, play another "tap" but return to the high position. Last, play a full stroke that returns to the high position. So it's "down, tap, up, full". Alternate each hand, focusing on a relaxed grip and proper stick position. To stop the stick for the "tap", just squeeze your grip a little and return to being relaxed. Make sure you don't squeeze too tightly. The control comes from two places, your wrist and then your fingers. You have to develop both of them and in that order...wrist and then fingers. To paraphrase Joe Morello, until you can play well with the wrists you have no business trying to use your fingers. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:59 pm

^^^ As Scott said it's all in the wrist. He's just described control strokes and pull outs. Control strokes(down strokes) are when you play a loud note followed by a quiet note and pull outs (up strokes) are a quiet one followed by a loud one.

Check Dom Famularo's book "It's Your Move". That'll help you get it nailed!

It'll take time, but it's worth the effort.
rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:03 am

I always think of it as 'dropping' the stick out of my hand and letting it bounce. Just relax the fingers enough for the stick to drop, let it bounce and catch it.
SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:45 am

It is in a studio, so could they have changed the volume of the drums?
If not, that guy has great control
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash

Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:06 am

SlackBackLazy wrote:It is in a studio, so could they have changed the volume of the drums?
If not, that guy has great control

No he's definitely got great control, that entire piece was really good! I doubt there's a sound engineer anywhere in the world who'd sit there and change the volume of every note in a song to make it sound like that. Even if they did, it would lack that delicate feel. It'd just be a loud note, but quieter.. if that makes any sense?
SGarrett

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:55 am

rlrrll wrote:I always think of it as 'dropping' the stick out of my hand and letting it bounce. Just relax the fingers enough for the stick to drop, let it bounce and catch it.

That's how I always start students out. Hold the stick in the high position, image a 100lbs. weight on the tip of the stick, give it a little nudge, and it should fall straight down. I don't do anything with fingers until my students get the wrist working, though. That way it's moving from the larger muscle groups to the smaller. Then we move to being able to hit the high position with just the fingers while the palm is facing the floor.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
40th
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:39 pm

I practice rolls like they taught me in high school for the music competitions! Take a rudiment or roll, start slow build it up to fast and back again. but make it really dramatic. Do this with dynamics as well. snare drum solos or timp solos are great to exagerate the volume levels... the more you make a contrast, the greater the control...play with it and have fun!!!
Han Solo: Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?

Luke Skywalker: What a piece of junk!

Han Solo: She'll make point five past lightspeed.

Chewy: Word
rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:03 am

What you are noticing in the 'internal dynamics" of parradiddles and other mixed stickings played between the ride and snare. Ya know how when you play a RLRR LRLL pattern, you accent the first note of each paradiddle? That's how you develop such good touch as the guy in the video.
Tom Coyne

Drummer/Performer/Teacher/Author

Vic Firth Education Team Member

The Last Dance/Red Lily/The Prophetess/Frankenstein/Mercurine/45 Grave

myspace.com/tomcoynedrumteacher

thelastdance.com
40th
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:30 pm

rlrrll wrote:What you are noticing in the 'internal dynamics" of parradiddles and other mixed stickings played between the ride and snare. Ya know how when you play a RLRR LRLL pattern, you accent the first note of each paradiddle? That's how you develop such good touch as the guy in the video.

Exactly!
Han Solo: Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?

Luke Skywalker: What a piece of junk!

Han Solo: She'll make point five past lightspeed.

Chewy: Word
dannycareyisgod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:18 pm

I pretty much agree with what everyone said. Practice simple rudiments like double stroke rolls, paradiddles, paradiddle-diddles, stuff like that. It'll really build your wrists up and that will enable you to have more control over dynamics.
Gretsch Catalina Maple-------> 22" x 18" bass, 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" toms, 14" x 14" floor tom, 16" x 16" floor tom, 6" x 14" snare.

Zildjian A Customs-------> 20" ride, 16" crash, 18" fast crash, 14" hi-hats.
its-all-gravy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Anyone know this guys name??