Bass Drum Technique

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Opopanax
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:45 am

I keep it against the head habitually, I suppose.

But I agree Gunman, both are good to learn - I'm just starting to not bury the beater, and trying to spend some time working on it both ways. Having both sounds at your disposal can only help you out, yeah?
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:18 pm

randomdrum wrote:
Mitchell? wrote:
randomdrum wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:
BillRayDrums wrote:Pull your foot back farther on the pedal- like, put the ball of your foot about 2 inches from the hinge. There's a whole new area of exploration. Just because your foot fits on the pedalboard does not mean you have to adhere to a fixed position.

Try that out. Farther back= more rebound off the head AND faster speed.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJrA5BQtf4A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJrA5BQtf4A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I think I'd prefer some volume over super speed that makes no sound! Cheers for the input everyone, it's not really anything I'd ever thought about till recently, might help stop me breaking pedals...

:roll:

...it's just not miced silly. :)

It's also a bass drum in a big hall! That thing should sound huge and loud and you actually can't hear it at all, whether or not it is amplified isn't relevant really...

And no offence to anyone, I'll try not to have an opinion in future :)

ps I edited my post cos it sounded mean and I didn't intend for it to :)

It actualy wasnt very loud even when it was hit hard.and I could hear it. The little condenser mic in the camera behind a wall of cheering people? not so much
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:27 pm

Not really a necessary reply. I'm not starting any kind of debate about acoustics but with the reverberation in a big hall and the volume that a drum like that should be, you'd expect to be able to hear something, it's not really a criticism, just an observation and my own personal preference.

I didn't mean any offence, if I'd known it was you I wouldn't have said anything about it out of respect for other people. As far as I was aware it was just a random video of some guy playing drums. Very sorry.

Can we stay on topic now?
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:33 pm

randomdrum wrote:I leave it there, the main reason I ask is cos I've been told this may be why I keep breaking pedals...I dunno what else it could be! I'm gonna try learn this anyway just cos I'm sure it'll help with my foot control etc :)

Thats not the reason your breaking pedals. if you post a video I'm sure we can tell you whats causing the problem
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion