Bass Drum Technique

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:20 am

Alan_ wrote:the thing that I'm having to really slog with and slow down a lot is hand-foot combinations involving odd numbers of strokes with the feet and all the diddle combinations in stick control. working on them really slow seems to be having a huge effect on my speed tho. cool.

A really good excercise is practicing parradiddles with your hands over half-time parradiddles with your feet (and vise versa)
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:21 am

xdoseonex wrote:
BillRayDrums wrote:Pull your foot back farther on the pedal- like, put the ball of your foot about 2 inches from the hinge. There's a whole new area of exploration. Just because your foot fits on the pedalboard does not mean you have to adhere to a fixed position.

Try that out. Farther back= more rebound off the head AND faster speed.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJrA5BQtf4A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJrA5BQtf4A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I think I'd prefer some volume over super speed that makes no sound! Cheers for the input everyone, it's not really anything I'd ever thought about till recently, might help stop me breaking pedals...
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:22 am

randomdrum wrote:
I think I'd prefer some volume over super speed that makes no sound! Cheers for the input everyone, it's not really anything I'd ever thought about till recently, might help stop me breaking pedals...

The bass drum is just hooked up to a drum-o-meter, not miced or amplified
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:24 am

randomdrum wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:
BillRayDrums wrote:Pull your foot back farther on the pedal- like, put the ball of your foot about 2 inches from the hinge. There's a whole new area of exploration. Just because your foot fits on the pedalboard does not mean you have to adhere to a fixed position.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJrA5BQtf4A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJrA5BQtf4A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:roll:

...it's just not miced silly. :)
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:34 am

randomdrum wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:

Yeah, well tim yeung made that mistake and hes at like #22 dispite his awesome speed. I knew what i was doing. I wouldnt be caught tapping like that during a performance.
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:37 am

xdoseonex wrote:Yeah, well tim yeung made that mistake and hes at like #22 dispite his awesome speed. I knew what i was doing. I wouldnt be caught tapping like that during a performance.

I thought they didn't let you tap or buzz?
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:53 am

Mitchell? wrote:
randomdrum wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:

It's also a bass drum in a big hall! That thing should sound huge and loud and you actually can't hear it at all, whether or not it is amplified isn't relevant really...

And no offence to anyone, I'll try not to have an opinion in future :)

ps I edited my post cos it sounded mean and I didn't intend for it to :)
Last edited by randomdrum on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:09 am

Empyrean Drums wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:Yeah, well tim yeung made that mistake and hes at like #22 dispite his awesome speed. I knew what i was doing. I wouldnt be caught tapping like that during a performance.

randomdrum wrote:I think I'd prefer some volume over super speed that makes no sound! Cheers for the input everyone, it's not really anything I'd ever thought about till recently, might help stop me breaking pedals...

thats the post i was refering to
I didnt say anything about tapping or buzzing.
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:13 am

xdoseonex wrote:
Empyrean Drums wrote:

I didnt say anything about tapping or buzzing. I was talking about the volume.

That's not what I ment, I was just wondering where they draw the line or if you saw anyone get DQ'd for it
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:17 am

Empyrean Drums wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:
Empyrean Drums wrote:

I didnt say anything about tapping or buzzing. I was talking about the volume.

That's not what I ment, I was just wondering where they draw the line or if you saw anyone get DQ'd for it

You buzz your out. But that it. as long as your playing single strokes it counts. I imagine it could get you a point where your hitting so soft that the trigger won't pick it up. but if you can play fast THAT soft, hey, that would be even more impressive
chocobebear
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:22 am

i used to let it stay buried, but now i let it bounce and fly...
LET YOUR DRUMS DO THE TALKING
chocobebear
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:25 am

randomdrum wrote:
Mitchell? wrote:
randomdrum wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:

It's also a bass drum in a big hall! That thing should sound huge and loud and you actually can't hear it at all, whether or not it is amplified isn't relevant really...

And no offence to anyone, I'll try not to have an opinion in future :)

ps I edited my post cos it sounded mean and I didn't intend for it to :)

for this to work, triggers are needed
LET YOUR DRUMS DO THE TALKING
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:30 am

Back to whether you bury the beater or not.

Everyone here seems to let the beater rebound. Which is good and all, but I just want to say that leaving the beater in the head isn't wrong. It's just different. I've seen Peter Erskine and Dave Weckl do it. Just so he's not in the same sentence Mike Johnston too. LOL. But it's just a different sound. Leaving the beater there gives you a more staccato sound and some people want that.

I'm still trying different things, but whatever Mike teaches I'll probably do cause that guy is awesome. But I'm more worried about a powerful bass drum sound than speed. Ideally I'd like both though, lol.

peace all
My Gear:

Shine Defenition Series Drum Set
Shine Mike Johnston Signature Snare
Saluda Cymbals

http://www.myspace.com/xthelonegunmanx == friend me and say hi

Drumming is Fun!
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:34 am

yeah vinnie colaiuta drives the beater into the head and leaves it there.
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:49 am

I leave it there, the main reason I ask is cos I've been told this may be why I keep breaking pedals...I dunno what else it could be! I'm gonna try learn this anyway just cos I'm sure it'll help with my foot control etc :)
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks