Newbie with a click track question.

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

TwistedFate
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu May 22, 2008 6:36 pm

Okay, when I say newbie I mean it. Just got my kit today. I have been practicing my rudiments on a practice pad for about a week, but today was my first day on a real kit.

I'm trying to build up my stick control and if I run my click playing out the 1/4's I can do the 8ths fine. It's the 16th that are killing me. I have a DTXplorer (housemates are on a different sleep schedule, so an a-kit was totally out of the question) and when I turn on rhythm gate I only register a few hits, even at 80. I know it's only my first day and I can't expect to be perfect, but it's very tempting to turn on the 16ths count on my click to help guide me. Will I be doing myself a disservice in the long run by doing that until I get the feel for them? Or should I just push on and keep trying to keep the count in my head until I get it?
SGarrett

Post Thu May 22, 2008 10:48 pm

That's actually one of the better ways to play the subdivisions. A lot of world class drummers recommend always counting in 16ths. When I track, I usually have the click set to 8th notes. So, it's not cheating in the slightest. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu May 22, 2008 11:29 pm

There are advantages to practicing both ways but the 8th note and 16th note ways are going to make your time quite a bit tighter - which is good. I remember in an interview that John Robinson liked half-note clicks when he wanted to phrase the fills a little slower.
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri May 23, 2008 3:39 am

I need to get a better metronome. Mine only plays quarter notes and tells me to like it. Blimey. I could use the help getting the feel of triplets better. But my met. laughs and says no.
My Gear:

Shine Defenition Series Drum Set
Shine Mike Johnston Signature Snare
Saluda Cymbals

http://www.myspace.com/xthelonegunmanx == friend me and say hi

Drumming is Fun!
TwistedFate
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri May 23, 2008 6:22 pm

Thanks guys. I turned on the 16ths and I can already see it helping.
<a href="http://www.ook-ook.net">Monkey Shines</a> - Blogging my way to being a better drummer.