Overwhelmed with material!

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

40th
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat May 10, 2008 12:31 am

Ok, so I have like 4 books, a couple of cd's and an endless supply of things to practice....Where the heck do I start building form what I know. There is just too much to work on and Im constantly "learning" things but never have ever mastered any one thing and I feel like "half full glass of drummer". Where do I start?
Han Solo: Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?

Luke Skywalker: What a piece of junk!

Han Solo: She'll make point five past lightspeed.

Chewy: Word
Quarter Note
beginner
beginner

Post Sat May 10, 2008 4:05 pm

40th wrote:Ok, so I have like 4 books, a couple of cd's and an endless supply of things to practice....Where the heck do I start building form what I know.

Depends on what you want to learn. No point learning something you won't use.

There is just too much to work on and Im constantly "learning" things but never have ever mastered any one thing and I feel like "half full glass of drummer". Where do I start?

Take a small chunk of information and work at that untill you HAVE mastered it. Better mastering something than a big'ol pile of nothing.

Like you figured out, you are 'Overwhelmed'. Set a few REALISTIC GOALS, Work on a small amount of information at a time, consistently, and you will start seeing results.

You can't master it all, you have a lifetime to try too....
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sat May 10, 2008 6:38 pm

two words. Slow Down
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
40th
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat May 10, 2008 11:33 pm

Quarter Note wrote:[Take a small chunk of information and work at that untill you HAVE mastered it. Better mastering something than a big'ol pile of nothing.

So, just start with one book, work through it until I know it, then move on to the next one.

Manzo
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun May 11, 2008 10:51 am

just take it easy.

cramming information will only make you sloppy. Just take it step by step and make sure when you go through a book (before moving on) you master that book and apply it.
sjoey1r
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 11, 2008 10:57 am

Take your time and learn one thing at a time until your comfortable with it.
Quarter Note
beginner
beginner

Post Sun May 11, 2008 11:19 am

40th wrote:
Quarter Note wrote:[Take a small chunk of information and work at that untill you HAVE mastered it. Better mastering something than a big'ol pile of nothing.

So, just start with one book, work through it until I know it, then move on to the next one.

If that method works for you, that's ok.

If you have bought 4 books, my thinking is you may want too learn/work on certain things "from" each book. There is nothing stopping you from taking a SMALL piece of info from each book and working on it/them on a daily basis - if you have the time.

Maybe you should work through these things with a/your teacher?
40th
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:04 am

Well, for a while I have been doing just that. Taking a little bit form each one and plus all the printed solos and excercises- it all felt like was only getting part of the picture.

So, tonight I decided to work on my technical stuff here in the shack. I brought excercises and broke them down into 3 minute intervals. Hand studies basically. I practiced speed technique and rudimentary stuff with a Metronome. Starting out with simple warm up...then finding my magic speed and using that as my "next level of achievment".

As far as drum set goes. Im taking one book at a time. Ill work through it, each excersise until I know them well and can perform them comfortably. This is somehting my mentor told me to do. "Just sit down, start somewhere and get through each book one ata time".

I feel like I have found a good starting point and will have some progress! I practiced for over an hour tonight on just hand stuff. 3/8 6/8 7/8/ 9/8 12/8 Doubles, singles, paradiddles, flam accents....whew!!!! Speed! I feel like I have a chance now!

Still looking for Kinka rhythms (spelling) !!!! Does any one have them!!! ????

eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 13, 2008 3:31 am

Why don't you just send me one of your books and that'll be one thing of yer hands? ;)
40th
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu May 15, 2008 9:35 pm

eml wrote:Why don't you just send me one of your books and that'll be one thing of yer hands? ;)

Hahaha, dont tempt me! I almost picked up a couple more the other day when I grabbed my new cymbal and stand!!! Whew, the Mrs talked me out of it. 8)

Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Sun May 18, 2008 4:44 am

I know exactly where you're coming from. I've started keeping it simple working on technique and right now latin music. As well as any songs I need for shows I'm doing.

I think it's important to be able to play something confidently before moving on.
J-rod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 18, 2008 9:43 am

hey, what books are you working through?
dw collector series maple
zildjian and saluda cymbals
dw and yamaha snares
dw hardware
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Sun May 18, 2008 10:14 am

Take an easy slow down bro
40th
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 18, 2008 10:07 pm

J-rod wrote:hey, what books are you working through?

http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Bay-Fusion-Dr ... 62&sr=8-13

this is the fusion book.

Ihttp://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Step ... 775&sr=8-4

for fast pace stuff

I also have a classic rock book. Teaches you the history and the patterns of classic rock. Great book, I use it for my student.

and elementary drum method book that I change up to use my left hand with....I play the book only with my left and hand play a rock beat over it.

then I have all of my printed material...there is a bunch of stuff there. Got a new battery for my metronome so I am now working on hand speed technique. But at home, I am working on my bass stuff....figured I mark up my weaknesses and start tackling those so I can bring my overall performance up!

Opopanax
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 20, 2008 6:25 am

Hey man, Syncopation is an awesome book! Turn to the page with the count written in (page 34?) and read that page daily! Count that aloud and play it with alternating strokes.. Do not start every measure with your strong hand. Alternate,then do it all with your weak hand. When you get to the 3rd measure on the line, look down at the next one. Don't stop - keep going through any mistakes, but note where they happen.

Try doing the foot pattern R L R L, R L L L, things like that. If that's too tough now, just do the foot pattern with one foot.

Go on to the next pages and write in the count! If you don't know how that goes, ask someone here, they can explain better than me. But, all this advice is from my teacher who is a working drummer (all over the world, actually) so please don't think I'm just spewing nonsense here. But it's well worth the time to read it, write it in and go through it.

Do you have Stick Control for the Snare Drummer? I'd get that one next. Or, if you just want a book of MUSIC, then I'd suggest On the Beaten Path - awesome

:D