Double strokes HELP!!!

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:31 am

I try to approach my drumming with the same attention to motion and balance that I learned from tang soo do and jiujitsu. I wish I had the time to keep studying martial arts. it really improved my drumming in so many ways (posture, attitude toward the kit, relaxation, etc.)

Practicing things slowly will ironically make one better at articulating when the tempo goes way up. it teaches one how to make a relaxed stroke, and builds this aspect of technique into the muscle memory.
User avatar
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1748
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Aurora Colorado

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:38 am

RFLTenors wrote:
I wouldn't use the word arrogant but yes I am very confident. I have every right to be and I feel that I can back it up with my playing! I agree you should work on mastering all tempos, dynamics, stick heights, etc. Yes your drums and cymbals have different feels so then practice on them. Practice on what you perform on. Even your most loosely tuned drum will not feel like a pillow. If you're using a pillow in one of your pieces then yes by all means practice on one. This is not martial arts. Just because you can play something slow and controlled does not mean you have mastered the technique in all aspects. You have to push outside of your comfort zone. If you want to play something fast then you have to practice playing fast.


Pushing outside your comfort zone is precisely what playing on a pillow is all about, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't practice on your performance set-up; no one here is advocating that
SGarrett
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Wow. Just...wow. I guess this dude's more technically and theoretically advanced than world class drummers. You should call up Billy Cobham and Dennis Chambers, you obviously have a lot to teach them. Of course, Dennis Chambers is known for wickedly fast single strokes and Billy Cobham has inhuman stick control, so I don't know if you'll really compare. ;)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
RFLTenors
beginner
beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:22 am
Location: Walkersville, MD

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:34 pm

To each his own. I'll do things my way and you do things your way. I'm not claiming to be the best, as there is always room for growth in my playing and there is always someone better. This is what drives me. I do have an open mind and I do try to be a sponge but I think very logically and realistically. I'm not saying that your methods are wrong, I just disagree with some of them. I've spent many, many, many countless hours developing my craft, coming to my own conclusions and I know what works for me as well as many others. I'm not just making assumptions but have learned through my own experiences. You can throw any name at me you'd like. Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl. Just because someone is a "pro" drummer or the masses consider them a great, doesn't mean that I do. You don't know me and you don't my style. Let your drumming do the talking!
Pearl drums and hardware
Paiste cymbals
Vic Firth drum sticks
Evans drum heads
Aquarian drum heads
DW pedals
Axis pedals
RFLTenors
beginner
beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:22 am
Location: Walkersville, MD

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:55 pm

SGarrett wrote:Wow. Just...wow. I guess this dude's more technically and theoretically advanced than world class drummers. You should call up Billy Cobham and Dennis Chambers, you obviously have a lot to teach them. Of course, Dennis Chambers is known for wickedly fast single strokes and Billy Cobham has inhuman stick control, so I don't know if you'll really compare. ;)


I actually did get the chance to play for Dennis Chambers up close and personal in drum corps back in 2001. He came to a quad sectional of ours and the Cadets at spring training. He watched for a good while and later asked questions about our technique and rudimental drumming in general. Maybe he took something away from it, maybe not. Like I said, you don't me!
Pearl drums and hardware
Paiste cymbals
Vic Firth drum sticks
Evans drum heads
Aquarian drum heads
DW pedals
Axis pedals
SGarrett
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:05 pm

Yep, you've got a HUGE chip on your shoulder and you won't see any point of view other than your own until you lose said chip.

I'm not talking about "pro" drummers. I'm talking about World Class drummers. You, are no Dave Weckl and I think it's actually hilarious that you just talked down to his playing ability...probably because he doesn't play whatever brand of metal your band is labeled as. Your way might be the best for you, but it's not the best for everyone and your insistance that it is, is what makes you seem highly arrogant.

When I was a child, my mother always told me something. You have to try something before you say you don't like it. Maybe you might consider giving this an honest effort? Prove how open you say your mind is.

My drumming speaks enough that I've recorded for five different artists in the last 30 days. But then, I didn't start yesterday and have spent an hour or two on my playing. ;)

I'm done with this ridiculous topic. Trying to explain this to you has been like hitting a brick wall because you refuse to listen to actual reason or acknowledge very clear anaologies. Your head is swelled to the point that I wonder how you fit through doors. Take care.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
RFLTenors
beginner
beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:22 am
Location: Walkersville, MD

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:32 pm

SGarrett wrote:Yep, you've got a HUGE chip on your shoulder and you won't see any point of view other than your own until you lose said chip.

I'm not talking about "pro" drummers. I'm talking about World Class drummers. You, are no Dave Weckl and I think it's actually hilarious that you just talked down to his playing ability...probably because he doesn't play whatever brand of metal your band is labeled as. Your way might be the best for you, but it's not the best for everyone and your insistance that it is, is what makes you seem highly arrogant.

When I was a child, my mother always told me something. You have to try something before you say you don't like it. Maybe you might consider giving this an honest effort? Prove how open you say your mind is.

My drumming speaks enough that I've recorded for five different artists in the last 30 days. But then, I didn't start yesterday and have spent an hour or two on my playing. ;)

I'm done with this ridiculous topic. Trying to explain this to you has been like hitting a brick wall because you refuse to listen to actual reason or acknowledge very clear anaologies. Your head is swelled to the point that I wonder how you fit through doors. Take care.


hahaha Cry me a river! Any note worthy artists? I checked out your page and I could play what you play back in fifth grade! I never said I was Dave Weckl but I would bet my life on it that I can play circles around you! I would eat you alive! It sounds to me like you have hit a brick wall in your playing! Are you sure you didn't start yesterday? Maybe you should give up! I've exhausted many different techniques and am not coming to my conclusions blindly! You are unworthy of speaking to me on the same level! BOW BEFORE ME! GO PRACTICE CHUMP! hahahaha
Pearl drums and hardware
Paiste cymbals
Vic Firth drum sticks
Evans drum heads
Aquarian drum heads
DW pedals
Axis pedals
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:02 pm

lol, you'd get fired off any recording session in a heartbeat with that attitude.

sometimes the artist doesn't want a 5 over 7 polyrhythm shitting all over their lyric.

simplicity isn't something to be looked down upon. sometimes a drum part a 5th grader could play is all that's required.

I built up good chops when I was young, then learned how not to use them all the time as I got older.
User avatar
drummerduba
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1121
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Dingwall, Highlands, Scotland

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:22 pm

SGarrett wrote:Yep, you've got a HUGE chip on your shoulder and you won't see any point of view other than your own until you lose said chip.

I'm not talking about "pro" drummers. I'm talking about World Class drummers. You, are no Dave Weckl and I think it's actually hilarious that you just talked down to his playing ability...probably because he doesn't play whatever brand of metal your band is labeled as. Your way might be the best for you, but it's not the best for everyone and your insistance that it is, is what makes you seem highly arrogant.

When I was a child, my mother always told me something. You have to try something before you say you don't like it. Maybe you might consider giving this an honest effort? Prove how open you say your mind is.

My drumming speaks enough that I've recorded for five different artists in the last 30 days. But then, I didn't start yesterday and have spent an hour or two on my playing. ;)

I'm done with this ridiculous topic. Trying to explain this to you has been like hitting a brick wall because you refuse to listen to actual reason or acknowledge very clear anaologies. Your head is swelled to the point that I wonder how you fit through doors. Take care.


see now this is why we cant have nice things :shock: :shock:

Scott has proved a worthy point

You dude need to realise that you ain't King of the Castle. Also talkin down at a Mod ain't a good idea either unless you want to be ripped a new one and share the same fate as some over-eccentric members.

Everyone IS entitled to their own opinions and can offer advice but there is no need to shove it down other peoples throats dude

I only asked how people would go about doing double strokes and I have learnt that there is no right answer and no wrong answer so take your "my shit is the shit and you are just shit" shit and take it elsewhere as it isnt needed

Anyways..thats all I gotta say but cheers again to all the actual helpful advice I got

Cheers
Duba
Silverfox Drumsticks UK Artist
Soultone Cymbals UK Artist
OllyDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:45 am

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:31 am

Rob Crisp wrote:Both! :-)

When playing slow tempo you should play both strokes as indevidual strokes. When you increase speed you'll find a point comes where you use the rebound to get the second stroke.

The trick is getting it even from slow doubles through the crossover and into the rebounding doubles.
Hi I'm Ollie. I use CB, Paiste, Pearl, Remo, Stagg, Tama, Vic Firth and Zildjian.
User avatar
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2185
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:19 am

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:10 am

RFLTenors wrote:
SGarrett wrote:Yep, you've got a HUGE chip on your shoulder and you won't see any point of view other than your own until you lose said chip.

I'm not talking about "pro" drummers. I'm talking about World Class drummers. You, are no Dave Weckl and I think it's actually hilarious that you just talked down to his playing ability...probably because he doesn't play whatever brand of metal your band is labeled as. Your way might be the best for you, but it's not the best for everyone and your insistance that it is, is what makes you seem highly arrogant.

When I was a child, my mother always told me something. You have to try something before you say you don't like it. Maybe you might consider giving this an honest effort? Prove how open you say your mind is.

My drumming speaks enough that I've recorded for five different artists in the last 30 days. But then, I didn't start yesterday and have spent an hour or two on my playing. ;)

I'm done with this ridiculous topic. Trying to explain this to you has been like hitting a brick wall because you refuse to listen to actual reason or acknowledge very clear anaologies. Your head is swelled to the point that I wonder how you fit through doors. Take care.


hahaha Cry me a river! Any note worthy artists? I checked out your page and I could play what you play back in fifth grade! I never said I was Dave Weckl but I would bet my life on it that I can play circles around you! I would eat you alive! It sounds to me like you have hit a brick wall in your playing! Are you sure you didn't start yesterday? Maybe you should give up! I've exhausted many different techniques and am not coming to my conclusions blindly! You are unworthy of speaking to me on the same level! BOW BEFORE ME! GO PRACTICE CHUMP! hahahaha


I've been keeping an eye on this thred, and didn't feel I needed to say anything other than what I'd originally said right at the start before this back and forth started.

I was actually considering your statements and Scotts and keeping an open mind to what each was saying, you should try that sometime.

If you'd not noticed yet we all get on fairly well on this forum, we have diferences of opinion yes, but it's all pretty civil.

That post is, however, completely and utterly unwarranted. You may well be technically brilliant, but you're clearly an egotistical moron at the same time. I suggest you go back to where you came from.
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:04 am

yeah, technical brilliance and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.
SGarrett
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:31 pm

Originally posted by Bill Ray:
Image

And that is why I'm an in-demand player and called "half of one of the best rhythm sections in the city". :)

Remember, when you aren't intelligent enough to attack the idea, make sure that you attack the person.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:42 pm

HAHAHA!!!!

I was thinking about searching for that post. Beat me to it.
SGarrett
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:46 pm

I saved that image as soon as I saw it. Freaking brilliant, that is. :D
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."