Tom to Tom speed!!

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Roguejoo
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:18 pm

im trying to build my speed between my tomtoms in fills but i cant go that fast when doing so. BUT i can do really fast single stroke roll fills on my snare. now how can i put the speed that i have in my snare to in between the toms??

(i practice my rudiments everyday on my pad so please dont just tell me to do rudiments lol)
SGarrett

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:05 pm

You have to learn how to move your arms.

First things first. Start by playing a descending and ascending tom fill starting on the snare, with groups of four (8th, 16th, 32nd, whatever notes). When you get to your last tom go back the way you came and reverse once you get back to the snare. Next, do the same thing but continue around from the floor tom straight to the snare making a complete circle. After that, go the other way. Now play groups of two going from the snare to the first rack tom, back to the snare and then to the second rack tom, and so on...both descending and ascending. After that, do the same thing but play each tom note on a different drum.

Basically, if you've ever seen anyone churn butter or do "The Running Man", this is the same motion. Keep your elbows relaxed and at your sides. And also, do this slowly. You can't develop speed until you develop control and the only way to develop control is by working slowly. When you play fast it's too easy to rely on rebound.
Last edited by SGarrett on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:05 am

SGarrett wrote:You have to learn how to move your arms.

First things first. Start by playing a descending and ascending tom fill starting on the snare, with groups of four (8th, 16th, 32nd, whatever notes). When you get to your last tom go back the way you came and reverse once you get back to the snare. Next, do the same thing but continue around from the floor tom straight to the snare making a complete circle. After that, go the other way. Now play groups of two going from the snare to the first rack tom, back to the snare and then to the second rack tom, and so on...both descending and ascending. After that, do the same thing but play each tom note on a different drum.

Basically, if you've ever seen anyone churn butter or do "The Running Man", this is the same motion. Keep your elbows relaxed and at your sides. And also, do this slowly. You can't develop speed until you develop control and the only way to develop control is by working slowly. When you play fast it's too easy to rely on rebound.

BAM
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Manny
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:07 pm

SGarret: You always have something insightful and comprehensive to say. Truly appreciated
Yamaha drums
Yamaha & Mapex hardware
Zildjian A & K cymbals
Manzo
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:05 pm

^^^what SGarret said, you always have to start off slow. Doing your rudiments help, but you also have to practice that motion of moving your arms.
Roguejoo
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:07 pm

i can do extremely fast tom fills if i hit each tom twice (one on each hand) but more than that i cant do anything
SGarrett

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:28 pm

That's called a "double" or "double stroke". :)

You can only play fast like that because you don't know how to use your arms. Practice what I gave you, using entirely single strokes, and you'll be able to play fills around your kit.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Roguejoo
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:00 pm

ill practice that shit and ill tell u if it worked a week from nao