Absolute Beginner

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Yay
new
new

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:00 pm

So, my family just got a drum set 2 days ago. Although I've been playing guitar for 2 years, I've really wanted to learn drums and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. Having played an instrument before, I know that there are some habits you don't want to adapt to and some techniques that you have to learn. The thing is, I'm overwhelmed by the drum kit and I need some opinions regarding what to work on.

Thanks!
SGarrett

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:30 pm

"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Yay
new
new

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Thank you! :)
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:06 pm

And, learn rudiments. If you don't, you'll be sorry.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Yay
new
new

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:14 pm

Bong wrote:And, learn rudiments. If you don't, you'll be sorry.

Will do

My dad was teaching me some that he remembered from high school so that shouldn't be so much of a problem to find.

Also, which rudiments should I learn, if not all 40?
SGarrett

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:17 am

Yay wrote:
Bong wrote:And, learn rudiments. If you don't, you'll be sorry.

Will do

My dad was teaching me some that he remembered from high school so that shouldn't be so much of a problem to find.

Also, which rudiments should I learn, if not all 40?

They're all shown on that site, if you haven't already seen them.

I feel that the two most important rudiments for a beginner are the single stroke roll and flam. From there, double stroke rolls and the other flam rudiments that will have you playing double and triple strokes with each hand. The key is playing slowly and controlled. Speed will only come with control and that comes from dedicated practice effort....preferably to a metronome.

Oh yeah, make sure you stretch before and after you play. Very important. It's also important to spend at least 15 minutes getting your hands and feet warmed up to play by working, once again, slowly and contolled to get the big muscles warmed up first and then the smaller finger muscles warmed up last.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
nutha jason
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:12 am

i've got lots of freegoodies on my site for you. i put them up there for my beginners so please feel free to browse the lot.

j

here:
http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id10.html
See further ... stand on the shoulders of giants.
http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id10.html
drmhead
new
new

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:20 pm

I really recommend you get a teacher to get some guidance and at least to get the basics down. Once you are comfortable you can go on your own.