Vistalights

All about vintage drums, cymbals, hardware etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby rlrrll » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Just got these up and running!!

The Snare, Bass Drum and Floor Tom came together --- probably from about 1978 or so. The 13" Rack I just got from a vintage collector in LA for $160.

The snare drum is fitted with a light tube -- the kind you use in your garden:shock:

The kit sounds HUGE and is very comfortable to play.

Tom in Long Beach, CA
rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Cheapskate » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:04 pm

those red vistas are soooo nice....

I've been considering building a red acrylic kit for a while, but being that I want to go 26, 14, 18 (maybe 16 too) with a 8x14 snare, the shells alone are going to set me back at least 800 to 1000 then there's all the hardware... I guess 1500 buck isn't too bad for a custom acrylic kit, but it just seems like there has to be a cheaper way to doing it...

I check ebay constantly, but I saw a 26 smoke vista kick go for over 600 so it looks like custom will be the road I take once I find my self with an extra 1500 bucks and a week to kill..

for now Im just jealous..
Cheapskate
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby The "D" man » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:37 pm

Back in the 70's my dad's drummer played vistas

Me sitting behinde them.
The "D" man
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby badran ghosn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:24 am

has any one saw a white red green spiral vestalite???? :P :P
this is one of 3 known original white red green spiral ludwig.its broke my pocket but i like it...all my pals say waw........
badran ghosn
new
new

Postby badran ghosn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:02 pm

this is my drum. it is the rarest ever in ludwig.only 3 are known... :mrgreen: spiral ........very expensive........see it in my profile.....
badran ghosn
new
new

Postby badran ghosn » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:11 am

why we never see a rainbow vistalite???????it is for sure extreemly rare!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
this is one of 3 known original white red green spiral ludwig.its broke my pocket but i like it...all my pals say waw........
badran ghosn
new
new

Re: Vistalights

Postby earldrum » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:36 am

skitch wrote:Very cool! I miss my Big Beat Ludwigs; they weren't Vistalites but the Butcher Block finish. By the way, have you ever thought of starting your own drum company and calling it Earl drums or maybe Earl Jam drums. LOL. Bet you have never heard that before! - hint of sarcasm!

Hi Skitch

I just found this comment. I have never heard that I should start a drum company ... but I always wanted to own a drum shop. Who knows maybe someday you'll see earldrums on the market ... thanks for the idea :-)

Earl
earldrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Re:

Postby Vipercussionist » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:50 pm

Tyman345 wrote:well dude i knwo they make them now. but they were discontinued back then. thats what my dads buddy was saying cuz hes in a band. also the new vistilights are not as good as the older ones. iv herd that from countlees music store owners. but all im saying is tha he found it, its what he wanted back i 79', and he just found that same one. thx
Actually, the Vistalites made today are superior to the 1970's counterparts. The 70's shells were quite brittle and many were the victims of cracks that made the drums unplayable unless fixed by someone with the knowledge to fix acrylic shells. The newer shells have the advantages of today's version of acrylics, much less brittle and all of the good looks and tone of the originals.
Most respect the badge, but all fear the drum.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Vipercussionist
beginner
beginner

Postby GeorgeDemise » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:25 am

I just found a set of blue vista's on ebay for a really cheap price, they're not in amazing condition which I'm not too bothered about, but the kick has a crack in it, it runs from the tom mount to the front of the shell. Is this a no go? I wouldn't be using the tom holder as I'd have my tom on a snare stand. I've read on some sites that they can be repaired with some glue stuff fairly easily. I think the guy selling them is a bit stupid too, he's listed the "base drum" as 27", but I'm guessing it's probably a 24".
GeorgeDemise
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby goatatl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:48 am

There's a good article on repairing cracks at

http://www.vistalitedrums.com/

They recommend using Tap Plastics acrylic cement.
goatatl
drumming adept
drumming adept

Previous

Return to Vintage Drums