Slingerland Kit and Ludwig Snare I need help Identifying

All about vintage drums, cymbals, hardware etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby drumsforlife » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:19 pm

Hey guys I need help identifying this kit and this snare drum my buddy Shane recently picked up. The kit is a Slingerland, I'm not too sure on the sizes. I've looked on the site and I've looked for a serial number search, but cannot find the name of the series or which era they come from. Also, I've had the same bad luck with the Ludwig Snare that he scored with the kit. He's asked me to tune them up, and get them into playing condition. I thought it would also be a nice gesture to do some research and give him some background info on the drums. This is the first kit he's bought (he collects vintage/rare guitars and amps) and he wants me to tune them up! Any help would be appreciated. I'll have pics up in a bit...

Edit: I have the pics now...

Ludwig Snare Serial 806355

(I love how it has the reflection of me taking the pic with my phone)

Slingerland Kit Serial 570959

I'm part of the brotherhood of like-minded individuals who like to bang on things.
drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby drumur » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:51 pm

The snare is a Ludwig "Rocker"
It's chrome-covered wood, right.
I've been told by Ludwig that they were made of Mahogany.
This was an inexpensive, entry level line but it's one of my favorite snares for getting a fat, wet snare sound.
I have 2 of them and use it as my main snare.
The blue and olive badge "Rockers" were maple.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Postby drumsforlife » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:08 pm

drumur wrote:The snare is a Ludwig "Rocker"
It's chrome-covered wood, right.
I've been told by Ludwig that they were made of Mahogany.
This was an inexpensive, entry level line but it's one of my favorite snares for getting a fat, wet snare sound.
I have 2 of them and use it as my main snare.
The blue and olive badge "Rockers" were maple.

It's a steel shell, I had to replace heads...and I believe the Slingerlad kit is maple...

I'm part of the brotherhood of like-minded individuals who like to bang on things.
drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Airborne Ranger » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:44 am

Both are entry level models. The snare is a Ludwig Accent and is their lowest entry-level model. The Slingerland drums are their entry level as well, probably made out of Luan or "Philippian Mahogany". They have serial numbers but I doubt they were recorded or traceable, they simply put them on because they are required to by law. The Slingerland drums are from the "Music Yo" era and are not considered to be good quality (about the quality of many other Chinese-made entry level drums). Both the toms and the snare look to be early 2000's models. The U.S. made Ludwig Rockers drums were never maple, they were made of poplar (a wood very similar to maple but a bit softer) . I have 2 U.S. made Rocker snares (the badge on U.S. made drums has the USA next to the Ludwig logo) and one has a natural interior and one has the gray-speckled interior. Both drums sound good and I use them often. Ludwig made the Rocker series in the U.S. until the late 80's, then moved production to China or Taiwan and changed the lugs, strainers and badges.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Postby drumur » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:32 pm

In the 70's they had a Maple Rocker line also.
I owned a Bonham kit, oversized chrome covered maple.

I called Ludwig and they told me that the chrome covered Rocker snare was Mahogany.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Airborne Ranger » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:03 pm

I've never seen a real mahogany Rocker as Ludwig stopped using real mahogany in their shells years earlier than the 1970's. Do you have any old pics of the drum? I'm curious to see what you had.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Postby drumur » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:31 pm

Yeah...it looks exactly like the picture above, but the shell is wood with a chrome wrap.

I swear in the early '80s they had a Pro "Rocker" line that was 6 ply maple.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Postby drumsforlife » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:46 am

Thanks guys for the help! Entry level or not, the Ludwig snare is pretty good. Too bad it's not mine. At least I got to play on it. As for the Slingerland kit, it's nicer/easier to tune than my current kit, but I've played on nicer Slingerlands. I'm hoping my friend wasn't ripped off on what he paid for the kit, because he was positive that this was a pro line kit. After playing it, I beg to differ. Nice as it was, the toms are a bit deep for my liking and had a LOT of overtones, and that's after replacing heads. Heh, oh well. I hope this kit makes somebody happy, because I'm giving it back to my friend tomorrow and he's gonna sell it.

Oh, and my favorite part of the kit was the bass. It was NIIIIIIIIIICE. And the snare was prettty good too. Wish I could buy just the snare, but my friend wants to sell it as a kit.

Thanks a million guys!

drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer

Postby drumur » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:44 am

I've never seen a real mahogany Rocker as Ludwig stopped using real mahogany in their shells years earlier than the 1970's. Do you have any old pics of the drum? I'm curious to see what you had.

I called Ludwig and was told again that the chrome wrapped Rocker is a Mahogany shell.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Postby xdoseonex » Fri May 02, 2008 6:42 pm

drumur wrote:

I called Ludwig and was told again that the chrome wrapped Rocker is a Mahogany shell.

when they say "mahogany" I would imagine they mean phillipine mahogany. and i dont even think thats actually mahogany. its like a luan type wood
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Return to Vintage Drums