Leedy & Ludwig snare question

All about vintage drums, cymbals, hardware etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Tomtomkick! » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:51 pm

Hey all, I'm looking at a Leedy & Ludwig snare from the early fifties in great condition. I know this brand although I've never played on one. My question is: If I purchase this snare will it sound horrible if I play rock on it? I play jazz and a bit of classical but as well I also play rock. If I purchase this I will only have one snare (upgrading from old, mediocre snares) and hope that it is some what versatile but also something I can treasure for a while. Is this a wise purchase?
Tomtomkick!
new
new

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Alan_ » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:19 pm

somehow I doubt that snare would sound horrible if you played rock on it, unless it was really badly tuned.

is it wood? metal? what size is it? model name?
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby Tomtomkick! » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:14 pm

It's wood. I don't have specifics about model name, just that it's from '51 or '52 and has all new hardware on it. I guess it comes down to how it works with the rest of my set. A broader question is what is (if there is) the difference between snares geared towards jazz as opposed to rock? And thanks for the reply.
Tomtomkick!
new
new

Postby sushiman » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:17 pm

I once owned a Leedy & Ludwig 5.5x14 Broadway WMP snare drum . Never really got on with it , though . More suitable for jazz I would say . Very limited tuning range and a bit boxy sounding I thought .
sushiman
beginner
beginner

Postby Mitchell? » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:47 am

I think you'd be better off buying a newer snare to use for rock.

Also, I don't think there's much of a point in buying a vintage snare, with all new hardware, to play rock n' roll. You lost the value from the new hardware, and a snare from the 50's most likely won't keep up with the gigging-drummer.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Postby zen_drummer » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:46 pm

Mitchell? wrote:I think you'd be better off buying a newer snare to use for rock.

Also, I don't think there's much of a point in buying a vintage snare, with all new hardware, to play rock n' roll. You lost the value from the new hardware, and a snare from the 50's most likely won't keep up with the gigging-drummer.

I'm not so sure I would feel comfprtable making that statement!

If he can get a vintage shell with modern hardware at the right price and it sounds great, why wouldn't he? Why wouldn't the modern hardware keep up with a gigging drummer? I have a 1923 Black Beauty that I put modern hardware on for gigging... I didn't drill or modify the drum, I have all the original stuff and it's completely playable, and can be put back to original. My only caution would be to avoid a Leedy and Ludwig drum that was ORIGINALLY a knob tensioned drum, because the shell has probably been over-stressed due to the poor design of the hardware.

Other than that, if the Leedy and Ludwig sounds good, I'd be tempted to say it's a good choice, especially if the price is right! Also, Leedy and Ludwig drums are in the lower price range of vintage drums, Most collectors prefer either Leedy, or Ludwig and Ludwig BEFORE the Conn Musical Instrument company combined the names or AFTER they split up in the 50's.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Leedy - Ludwig Snare

Postby Kris » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:55 pm

I think a snare is what you make it...if you don't take the time to pull the drum apart and put your own personal touch on it, it's not going to have your personal sound....a drum doesn't have a specific sound for a type of music just by who it's made by ...that comes from the artist and what he/she is creating. I use several different types of snares in what I play from a 13x3 piccalo to a 14x12 marching snare. It all depends on the sound I am searching for to fit the song or style of music....but mostly it has to do with how I have tuned/prepared the drum. I play mostly classic rock/rock/metal...I can make it work with any snare...it's what I do to the snare once I get my hands on it that is going to make the difference. Of course the shell construction has alot to do with the tone of the drum, but so do controlable aspects, like heads,snares,tension,muffling/dampening, the type of rim and even weather you tighten your stand basket to the drum or leave it a lttle loose for a little more ring. I say buy what you want make it yours....don't let a specific manufacterer persuade you or disuade you as to what you use in a type of music...that's why we have terms like signature sound, so you can make it your own!

Kris
Be Strong to Endure - Endure to be Strong !
www.krisardolino.com
http://www.myspace.com/krisardolino
Kris
drumming adept
drumming adept

Re: Leedy - Ludwig Snare

Postby zen_drummer » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:01 pm

Kris wrote:I think a snare is what you make it...if you don't take the time to pull the drum apart and put your own personal touch on it, it's not going to have your personal sound....a drum doesn't have a specific sound for a type of music just by who it's made by ...that comes from the artist and what he/she is creating. I use several different types of snares in what I play from a 13x3 piccalo to a 14x12 marching snare. It all depends on the sound I am searching for to fit the song or style of music....but mostly it has to do with how I have tuned/prepared the drum. I play mostly classic rock/rock/metal...I can make it work with any snare...it's what I do to the snare once I get my hands on it that is going to make the difference. Of course the shell construction has alot to do with the tone of the drum, but so do controlable aspects, like heads,snares,tension,muffling/dampening, the type of rim and even weather you tighten your stand basket to the drum or leave it a lttle loose for a little more ring. I say buy what you want make it yours....don't let a specific manufacterer persuade you or disuade you as to what you use in a type of music...that's why we have terms like signature sound, so you can make it your own!

Kris

And there ya have it! All good points.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Return to Vintage Drums