The Official Triggers Thread

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby dwtoast72 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:18 pm

ok...
Usually..I am very closed minded about triggers, due to their lack of ALOT of things...
But a question arises...
IS THERE A WAY TO PLAY DYNAMICALLY WITH TRIGGERS INSTALLED???? AND HAVE THE DYNAMICS HEARD THROUGH THE PA WITHOUT SOMEONE AT THE BOARD MESSING WITH A FADER????
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby dwtoast72 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:20 pm

If there is infact a way to play dynamically (without having to use both triggers and mics in the live situation, and without having a second pair of hands playing with the approriate faders...you just may change my point of view on Triggers....
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Timekeep69 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:48 pm

ddrum triggers allow dynamic playing. I can't speak for any other brand since I only use ddrum.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Timekeep69

Postby Howepirate » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:20 am

ainsleyhubbard wrote:
kylevater wrote:
ainsleyhubbard wrote:
kylevater wrote:you should already know my opinion on thise howe :lol: :lol:

DO THEY SUCK???! please tell me.

depends on who you ask
if youre asking me, im telling you they do
unless youre very skilled with double bass and can keep a constant tempo

but if youre asking howepirate, then hes going to tell you otherwise

(howepirate and i said our first words to each other bitching about triggers)

Well, the reson why im using them is because im recording a new album and im making up my own sounds in the studio with roger linn drum machine. Like the one that prince uses. So, i want to recreate that sound live. Not every song i play is electronic on the album, i also use my DW kit too, to record with. Im just using Bass drums and snare sounds. And by the way i dont play double bass any more, i've learned double for single!!!

You have no real reason to use triggers. Let your drums be natural. For me, triggers are only a tool to be able to hear notes that are more often missed by lack of distinction of the notes when playing very high speeds. Not to mention, it literally is impossible to play above 240 bpm at full volume for more than 30 seconds.

Stop if you think that, that's is whats needed to play in my music genre. There is just practical double-bass applications in metal drumming that you need to be able to hear. Now hush.
Howepirate

Postby rufus4dagruv » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:04 am

Howepirate wrote:
ainsleyhubbard wrote:
kylevater wrote:
ainsleyhubbard wrote:
kylevater wrote:you should already know my opinion on thise howe :lol: :lol:

DO THEY SUCK???! please tell me.

depends on who you ask
if youre asking me, im telling you they do
unless youre very skilled with double bass and can keep a constant tempo

but if youre asking howepirate, then hes going to tell you otherwise

(howepirate and i said our first words to each other bitching about triggers)

<b>Well, the reson why im using them is because im recording a new album and im making up my own sounds in the studio with roger linn drum machine. Like the one that prince uses. So, i want to recreate that sound live. </b>Not every song i play is electronic on the album, i also use my DW kit too, to record with. Im just using Bass drums and snare sounds. And by the way i dont play double bass any more, i've learned double for single!!!

You have no real reason to use triggers. Let your drums be natural.

The part in bold is why he is using triggers. He therefore does have a reason to use them. That's the beauty of choice....you can choose to use sampled sounds and/or the natural drum sounds.

On the album I just tracked, we triggered and mic'd the kick for one tune. The trigger was for an 808 kick sample because that is the sound we wanted. The sample track will then be mixed with the recorded drum track to get the desired effect. It's a dancehall tune and there is no double bass work, for the record.

The bottom line is that using sampled sounds is an easier and more cost effective way to utilize different sounds live and in the studio and is most definitely not just for use in double bass applications.
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Postby m » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:07 am

dwtoast72 wrote:If there is infact a way to play dynamically (without having to use both triggers and mics in the live situation, and without having a second pair of hands playing with the approriate faders...you just may change my point of view on Triggers....

it's not so much the triggers, it's actually the module settings. The more 'sensitivity' you allow for, the more dynamic range you are capable of reproducing. It's all about the module. The triggers are pretty similar, physically/mechanically.
They pick up what you play. It's up to the module to interpret it.

I've used Roland triggers on bass, snare and toms and they can pick up whatever you want/need them to.

as far as mixing/soundmen goes, you'd just send that signal to the FOH to be mixed in with your acoustics and the rest of the band. I'm not sure if I'm understanding that part exactly; you wouldn't need a 'second pair of hands,' other than the pair that are already mixing the band.
Last edited by m on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
m
groove master
groove master

Postby xdoseonex » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:16 am

dwtoast72 wrote:ok...
Usually..I am very closed minded about triggers, due to their lack of ALOT of things...
But a question arises...
IS THERE A WAY TO PLAY DYNAMICALLY WITH TRIGGERS INSTALLED???? AND HAVE THE DYNAMICS HEARD THROUGH THE PA WITHOUT SOMEONE AT THE BOARD MESSING WITH A FADER????

of course there is. if there wasnt triggers would be a terrible idea
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Postby xdoseonex » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:32 am

[/quote]
Not to mention, it literally is impossible to play above 240 bpm at full volume for more than 30 seconds.

.[/quote]

its litterally impossible to play 240 bpms at full volume period
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Postby m » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:54 am

was just doing a little research online, came across an interesting page -
'anatomy of a ddrum trigger.' It's a nice breakdown of the Ddrum Pro units.

http://edrum.thinkpile.net/2007/10/01/a ... um-trigger

If you've never used triggers, the pictures here might help the concept make more sense.
m
groove master
groove master

Postby xdoseonex » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:15 am

Timekeep69 wrote:
Metaldrummer89 wrote:so in order to use triggers i need the trigger, wires, drum module, and some sort of bass amp...does anyone know a cheap way to do all this? a pack with all of this included maybe?

I don't know how you would hook it up to a bass amp, they're typically hooked up to the PA. I know they sell a trigger amp but it's $600. Other than that just buy a good set of headphones.

through its 1/4 inch ouput?
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Postby Howepirate » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:55 am

xdoseonex wrote:

Not to mention, it literally is impossible to play above 240 bpm at full volume for more than 30 seconds.

.[/quote]

its litterally impossible to play 240 bpms at full volume period[/quote]

Hmmm... well if you know anything about the new deathcore movement. There is a song by As Blood Runs Black called "My Fears Have Become Phobias" that happens to be untriggered. I watched him play it live and actually sat behind him on a stage. The dbl bass roll at the end is disgustingly fast and he did it with ease and an absolute ton of power.
Howepirate

Postby Empyrean Drums » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:59 pm

I solved my trigger mounting issue; the same peice of rubber that works for pedal clamps works for Ddrum triggers.
I adjusted the muffle I made and they seem to be tracking properly now.
Verify our range to target, one ping only…
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Postby Bloomdrums » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:04 pm

i dont like triggers becuase i like the sound of natural drums. they can be cool in some extreme metal situations where speed and clarity is of the utmost imortance...but as someone already mentioned you cannot get much dynamic range. if you play to soft you wont get the trigger to respond, if you play too loud the trigger will misfire or double trigger or do something else wrong. also triggers are unforgiving. if you are slightly off you sound like a complete idiot. acoustic drum sounds give you a little space to be on the front or the back of the beat.
<a href="http://bloomdrums.6te.net">My Website</a>
Bloomdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby m » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:11 pm

as someone already mentioned you cannot get much dynamic range. if you play to soft you wont get the trigger to respond, if you play too loud the trigger will misfire or double trigger or do something else wrong.

This just isn't true anymore. It's all about the module here; modern triggers are able to transmit subtle nuances of playing style, but the module has to be able to reproduce it. Some are up to the task, others aren't. I think it's more a case that today most people aren't trying to get much nuance out of triggers, they just want a solid, consistent bass hit. If you want dynamics and nuance, you can get it with the proper setup and settings.

also triggers are unforgiving... acoustic drum sounds give you a little space to be on the front or the back of the beat.

I agree with this statement, we were discussing a similar topic in another thread, I think it was about learning to drum on E-kits.
m
groove master
groove master

Postby xdoseonex » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:21 am

Howepirate wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:

its litterally impossible to play 240 bpms at full volume period[/quote]

Hmmm... well if you know anything about the new deathcore movement. There is a song by As Blood Runs Black called "My Fears Have Become Phobias" that happens to be untriggered. I watched him play it live and actually sat behind him on a stage. The dbl bass roll at the end is disgustingly fast and he did it with ease and an absolute ton of power.[/quote]

I saw them live. The drummer was mega-triggered
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

PreviousNext

Return to Electronic Drum Sets