The Official Triggers Thread

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:22 pm

Howepirate wrote:
I use a Yamaha Dtxpress and it really works great with it. The adjustments will be minimal on setting the hammer position and whatnot. I usually never hear many misfires coming out of the PA with them, unless a setting is off on my module.

The DM5 is great, I'm just not happy with how the triggers. The snare (tom) trigger I have works great. I was thinking part of the issue is the way my bass drum hoops are shaped, because they just don't seem to clamp on right. I'm snowed in, so I'm going to mess with them today.
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:58 pm

I just got a Roland TD-6V drum module and i have 6 Ddrum triggers (1 snare 1bass drum and 4 toms) i have two problems.
the first one is that there is not enough inputs for my toms i have to plug the last tom trigger into a crash cymbal input, how
would i change the crash cymbal into a floor tom? the last question is that when i hit my floor toms my bass drum trigger
picks it up and makes a really soft hit and same with my tom that is mounted in my bass drum when i hit it the bass drum
hits is there anyway i can stop this? If you need pictures to see message me and please help me i have to learn about
triggers before our next show.
Howepirate

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:10 pm

PDP9000 wrote:I just got a Roland TD-6V drum module and i have 6 Ddrum triggers (1 snare 1bass drum and 4 toms) i have two problems.
the first one is that there is not enough inputs for my toms i have to plug the last tom trigger into a crash cymbal input, how
would i change the crash cymbal into a floor tom? the last question is that when i hit my floor toms my bass drum trigger
picks it up and makes a really soft hit and same with my tom that is mounted in my bass drum when i hit it the bass drum
hits is there anyway i can stop this? If you need pictures to see message me and please help me i have to learn about

Haha, I'm not gonna be much help but I promise you there is a way to change the crash to a bassdrum. I believe if there is a way to go into "voice" and change the trigger sound for the individual input you should be good.

Why the HELL are you triggering EVERYTHING tho??? Buy an electric set and put regular cymbals on it if you wanna do that.

You're ruining the reason for even having a "real" set of drums.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:22 pm

PDP9000 wrote:how
would i change the crash cymbal into a floor tom?
the last question is that when i hit my floor toms my bass drum trigger
hits is there anyway i can stop this?

Just found and downloaded a TD6 manual online, if you want to PM me again, I'll be glad to map out the settings you'll need to adjust...
I'm going to edit my statements to include the directions as I find them in the manual...

To change the sound of any pad; hit the pad, then use KIT, EDIT, ENTER then +/-. To edit the pitch; move right to Pitch, then +/-.
keep in mind that any input on the module can accept your trigger signals- you'll just have to manually change the instrument and trigger settings. No big deal. all found on pg 58 of the manual.

here's how to make sure the trigger type is set correctly
Set the trigger type to

“RT-3T,” = toms
“RT-5S,” = snare
“RT-7K.” = kick
(SETUP/TRIG BASIC/Trig Type; p. 69)

For the cross-talk problem, you have at least 2 options. You can use the cross-talk suppression setting if that module has it, but it can occasionally block out intentional hits. Raise the level of cross-talk suppression on the pad that is mistriggering.
(SETUP/TRIG BASIC/Xtalk Cancel; p. 73)

However, I'd recommend adjusting the 'threshold' setting on the tom so that only a direct strike triggers it, and not the vibration from other, bigger drums.
This is not a 'sensitivity' issue, that's a whole other function. What you want to do is set the threshold setting at which the trigger recognizes a hit. Raise it till the misfires disappear but your softest strokes still register.
(SETUP/TRIG BASIC/Threshold; p. 72)

You might also want to browse around at the Vdrums forum:
http://vdrums.com/forum/

and why shouldn't he try triggering the whole kit if he's got the gear and desire?
That's a TON of new sounds you can access by triggering your kit. Why not have both, instead of just one or the other?
Last edited by m on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:54 pm

Howepirate wrote:
PDP9000 wrote:I just got a Roland TD-6V drum module and i have 6 Ddrum triggers (1 snare 1bass drum and 4 toms) i have two problems.

Haha, I'm not gonna be much help but I promise you there is a way to change the crash to a bassdrum. I believe if there is a way to go into "voice" and change the trigger sound for the individual input you should be good.

Why the HELL are you triggering EVERYTHING tho??? Buy an electric set and put regular cymbals on it if you wanna do that.

the reason why im triggering the whole set is cause i want to and thats my choice so ya but thanks for some help.

You're ruining the reason for even having a "real" set of drums.
ainsleyhubbard
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:51 am

I have a whole set of red shots. do they suck? Im just starting to use them. Should I hook the bass drum trigger any where else then the head? And should I use 2 snares? one with it, and one with out?
I Play drums in L.A., neew drum lessons, send me a message. ]

AiNsLeY H.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:59 am

ainsleyhubbard wrote:I have a whole set of red shots. do they suck? Im just starting to use them. Should I hook the bass drum trigger any where else then the head? And should I use 2 snares? one with it, and one with out?

the only difference between the Red Shots and the Pro models are the XLR connector and metal mounting plate on the Pro.
The functionality is the same. The XLR only helps in that it makes the cable connection more secure.
As long as your cable doesn't come out of the Red Shot, you're getting the same triggering as the Pro. :-)

The bass trigger will need to touch the head of the bass drum, so the front batter is the most reliable place to attach it.
The only reason to use 2 snares would be if you have to compromise the tone of the acoustic drum to get the triggering smooth and accurate.
Or, if you just want another snare.

what module are you using?
ainsleyhubbard
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:57 am

m wrote:
ainsleyhubbard wrote:I have a whole set of red shots. do they suck? Im just starting to use them. Should I hook the bass drum trigger any where else then the head? And should I use 2 snares? one with it, and one with out?

the only difference between the Red Shots and the Pro models are the XLR connector and metal mounting plate on the Pro.
The functionality is the same. The XLR only helps in that it makes the cable connection more secure.
As long as your cable doesn't come out of the Red Shot, you're getting the same triggering as the Pro. :-)

The bass trigger will need to touch the head of the bass drum, so the front batter is the most reliable place to attach it.
The only reason to use 2 snares would be if you have to compromise the tone of the acoustic drum to get the triggering smooth and accurate.

what module are you using?

IM using spd-s Roland. Im using on trigger for bass drum, and then Im gonna get a trigger box to hook up and add my snare in.

AiNsLeY H.
ainsleyhubbard
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:59 am

m wrote:

On the bass drum, you mean on the batter side right, not the front head?

AiNsLeY H.
kylevater
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:01 pm

you should already know my opinion on thise howe :lol: :lol:
It's challenging you: Image
ainsleyhubbard
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:14 pm

kylevater wrote:you should already know my opinion on thise howe :lol: :lol:

DO THEY SUCK???! please tell me.

AiNsLeY H.
kylevater
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:20 pm

ainsleyhubbard wrote:

depends on who you ask
if youre asking me, im telling you they do
unless youre very skilled with double bass and can keep a constant tempo

but if youre asking howepirate, then hes going to tell you otherwise

(howepirate and i said our first words to each other bitching about triggers)
It's challenging you: Image
ainsleyhubbard
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:35 pm

kylevater wrote:
ainsleyhubbard wrote:

depends on who you ask
if youre asking me, im telling you they do
unless youre very skilled with double bass and can keep a constant tempo

but if youre asking howepirate, then hes going to tell you otherwise

(howepirate and i said our first words to each other bitching about triggers)

Well, the reson why im using them is because im recording a new album and im making up my own sounds in the studio with roger linn drum machine. Like the one that prince uses. So, i want to recreate that sound live. Not every song i play is electronic on the album, i also use my DW kit too, to record with. Im just using Bass drums and snare sounds. And by the way i dont play double bass any more, i've learned double for single!!!

AiNsLeY H.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:02 pm

ainsleyhubbard wrote:
m wrote:
ainsleyhubbard wrote:The bass trigger will need to touch the head of the bass drum, so the front batter is the most reliable place to attach it.

On the bass drum, you mean on the batter side right, not the front head?

yes, batter (not resonant)
I guess I think of the front as the side that faces me, like the snare and toms but I see where that could be confusing.
Yep, put it on the head you hit.
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:13 pm

If you get the Red Shots be careful stacking your drums on top off each other, the rims can cut the wire