Trigger Basics

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

NocturnalDrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:33 pm

I'm in a metal band and I'm considering using triggers during a live show. I been reluctant to use em' but I gave in. I really don't know where to begin, what do I need to get started?
"Ain't Here For A Long Time, Just Here For A Good Time."
Howepirate

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:35 pm

Basic Piezo trigger: DDRum, Roland, Or axis e-kits if you have axis pedals.

A module to supply the sample

And a way to connect it to an outward source for sound.
NocturnalDrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:19 pm

Howepirate wrote:Basic Piezo trigger: DDRum, Roland, Or axis e-kits if you have axis pedals.

Thanks man!
"Ain't Here For A Long Time, Just Here For A Good Time."
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:48 am

NocturnalDrum wrote:
Howepirate wrote:Basic Piezo trigger: DDRum, Roland, Or axis e-kits if you have axis pedals.

Thanks man!

Not starting an argument, but this trigger business only takes away your ability to progress as a drummer. Force yourself to be a better drummer. Practice!!!! Use a MIC!! It'll help you develope your playing technique. You want that perfect sounding kick??? Then tune it up nice and fat, and kick the shit out of it until you get every kicked note to sound the same....... DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF!!!
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:51 am

dwtoast72 wrote:
NocturnalDrum wrote:

Thanks man!

Not starting an argument, but this trigger business only takes away your ability to progress as a drummer. Force yourself to be a better drummer. Practice!!!! Use a MIC!! It'll help you develope your playing technique. You want that perfect sounding kick??? Then tune it up nice and fat, and kick the shit out of it until you get every kicked note to sound the same....... DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF!!!

triggering is not cheating!!! ugh im so sick of hearing that shit!
Howepirate

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:50 pm

dwtoast72 wrote:
NocturnalDrum wrote:

Thanks man!

God damn it. With triggers you hear EVERY fuckin note you play. EVERY. Whether one is missed or slowed down or sped up YOU'LL hear it. He wont cheat himself with triggers, whatever thats supposed to mean. It'll make him a ton more tighter and seriously more efficient.
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:09 pm

Howepirate wrote:
dwtoast72 wrote:
NocturnalDrum wrote:

Thanks man!

God damn it. With triggers you hear EVERY fuckin note you play. EVERY. Whether one is missed or slowed down or sped up YOU'LL hear it. He wont cheat himself with triggers, whatever thats supposed to mean. It'll make him a ton more tighter and seriously more efficient.

Listen to what you just said!!! You just supported (in a way) my point!!!
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:11 pm

If you don't have the discipline to practice and pull the shit off, then you don't have any business on ANY stage!! Make room for those who give a damn about their craft!!
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:06 pm

dwtoast72 wrote:
Howepirate wrote:
dwtoast72 wrote:
NocturnalDrum wrote:

Thanks man!

Listen to what you just said!!! You just supported (in a way) my point!!!

Dude, I think your missing what Howe said. Triggers will show your mistakes, almost more so than without, cus it won't get buried in the mush. Pro-tools and griding, now those are to hide mistakes.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:19 pm

dwtoast72 wrote:Use a MIC!! It'll help you develope your playing technique. You want that perfect sounding kick??? Then tune it up nice and fat, and kick the shit out of it until you get every kicked note to sound the same....... DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF!!!

I stated this in the other forum but I will repeat it here due to your zealotry
There are certain sounds that people who (obviously) do not play the same type of music you do, cannot achieve because the sounds are opposed to each other (tuning wise)
The low note of the bass drum is hard to achieve while simultaneously producing the clicky sound that defines the notes at high speeds
Therefore, they need to use triggers
Maybe you should do more research before you go off on something you don't fully understand
You say irritant, I say catalyst
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:30 pm

Rockula! wrote:
dwtoast72 wrote:Use a MIC!! It'll help you develope your playing technique. You want that perfect sounding kick??? Then tune it up nice and fat, and kick the shit out of it until you get every kicked note to sound the same....... DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF!!!

There are certain sounds that people who (obviously) do not play the same type of music you do, cannot achieve because the sounds are opposed to each other (tuning wise)
The low note of the bass drum is hard to achieve while simultaneously producing the clicky sound that defines the notes at high speeds
Maybe you should do more research before you go off on something you don't fully understand

How about a smaller kick. Can't pull it off with a 24? or 22? get a 20. Triggers are an easy way out. Jason Bittner of Shadows Fall said it best......it just can't remember what exactly he said :D He has now issues pulliing his stuff off (just an example)
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:34 pm

dwtoast72 wrote:
Rockula! wrote:

How about a smaller kick. Can't pull it off with a 24? or 22? get a 20. Triggers are an easy way out. Jason Bittner of Shadows Fall said it best......it just can't remember what exactly he said :D He has now issues pulliing his stuff off (just an example)

Ah, What a great example; someone with no experience trying to quote something he doesn't remember from a guy he doesn't really know.
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:39 pm

Empyrean Drums wrote:
dwtoast72 wrote:
Rockula! wrote:

Ah, What a great example; someone with no experience trying to quote something he doesn't remember from a guy he doesn't really know.

Wow, nice of you t........never mind.... I've had my experience withem'. Didn't like them for the very reasons I've stated.
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:49 pm

dwtoast72 wrote:
Empyrean Drums wrote:
dwtoast72 wrote:
Rockula! wrote:

Wow, nice of you t........never mind.... I've had my experience withem'. Didn't like them for the very reasons I've stated.

The only reasons you stated were because you think it's cheating or somehow they make playing easier, which they don't.
If you play sloppy without triggers you'll play just as sloppy with triggers-except everyone will be able to hear just how sloppy you are.
Howepirate

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:30 pm

dwtoast72 wrote:
Rockula! wrote:

Jason Bittner is fucking slow.