Multiple triggering is ruining my life!

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

cavegnome
new
new

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:42 am

I trigger my kick drum, and I find I have a similar problem on several different kick drums, with a range of skin tensions, with at least two different triggers and two different modules etc....

Double/multiple triggering!!!!

At first I thought this was purely my technique- that I was actually hitting the kcik drum and getting accidental additional bounces causing extra triggers. I'm pretty sure now that this is not the cause of the problem. the same thing occurs with signle hits, and even if I hit the skin with a stick. This happened after I set up an acoustic kit with a mesh head with my electric kit. I did this in order to work on my technique and elminate the problem, but on this particular set up it is the worst it's ever been, and I can safely say that it is not me!

If have no idea how to sort this out. The main module I use is a Yamaha DTXpress III, or sometimes a DM5. I don't want to compromise being able to play with dynamics either!

Any help you have would be tremendously appreciated!
dahlgrendrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:54 am

One kick or two? If it's a single, I'll give you the settings off of my DM-4 after wednesday!
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:57 am

What type of triggers are you using? The cheapo piezo triggers are pretty bad about double triggering. Get a good trigger made specifically for kick drums, or check out the article in DRUM! about building your own triggers from last month's issue. They have plans (using the cheap piezos) to build a mount for the trigger that should eliminate the problem as well. A short description would be that you need the trigger about an inch away from the head (on the inside of the drum, near the point of impact) with a piece of foam a little bigger around than the trigger wedged in between it and the head to absorb some of the impact. The article gets a bit more specific. Hope this helps.
yee freakin' haw
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:32 am

I have had this problem myself
My friend triggers and her double bass is lightning fast
One of the observations she made was that I don't muffle my drums where she has a very large amount of muffling herself
The only thing I can guess is that when you get into larger diameter heads, they also tend to move more
She plays metal, so the cardboard box bass drum thing works for her
However, I need to figure a way around that because I don't want to sacrifice the open sound of my bass drums so that I may trigger
Can anyone confirm or deny this theory?
You say irritant, I say catalyst
dannydrumperc
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:32 am

Rockula! wrote:One of the observations she made was that I don't muffle my drums where she has a very large amount of muffling herself

The longer the drumhead vibrates the more chances are for multiple triggering. If you still want a good drum sound from your kick plus the additional punch/attack/whatever you get from the sampled sound, sit properly your drumhead (no ripples) and tighten it evenly but not too tight (not boomy). Leave the front head quite loose too. Use muffling as needed. A sharp sounding sample plus a good drum sound (or vice versa) can make a killer kick mix.
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Easy solution: don't trigger.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
evolusean13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:22 pm

AH! PUT A PILLOW TOUCHING THE HEAD on the trigger side. works awesome.
dahlgrendrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:48 pm

quikstang2 wrote:Easy solution: don't trigger.

Not such an easy solution to live with at 220BPM + tempos, your kick drum just sounds like an unholy mess.
Portnoy4596
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:59 pm

yes I agree fuck triggers
Kaos
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:16 pm

one solution axis triggers.
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:45 pm

Part of the problem could be vibrations from the stage, or other instruments falsely triggering. Not to sell you the E-kit, but thats why Axis came up with them. Try setting your sensitivity down?
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Howepirate

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:56 pm

Yurn ur sensitivity down.
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:09 pm

I don't like to muffle my drums either, so I made a small mute that fits agianst the trigger on the inside of the bass drum head.
I just took a piece of 1" wide aluminum stock, cut it about six inches long and bent it into the shape of an L. I drilled a slot into the side that attached to the shell so I can adjust it front to back, and I put some self-stick foam weather stripping on the side that presses against the head
It cut down the vibration just enough to get more headroom out of the module so the crosstalk and noise weren't maxed, but it didn't affect the sound or response of my bass drums
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:51 pm

Portnoy4596 wrote:

yes I agree fuck triggers

I don't think would have good result
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:07 am

you'll never have this problem with a mic