Double triggering on acoustic bass drum! Help!!!!

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

cavegnome
new
new

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:35 am

I trigger my kick drum, and I find I have a similar problem on several different kick drums, with a range of skin tensions, with at least two different triggers and two different modules etc....

Double/multiple triggering!!!!

At first I thought this was purely my technique- that I was actually hitting the kcik drum and getting accidental additional bounces causing extra triggers. I'm pretty sure now that this is not the cause of the problem. the same thing occurs with signle hits, and even if I hit the skin with a stick. This happened after I set up an acoustic kit with a mesh head with my electric kit. I did this in order to work on my technique and elminate the problem, but on this particular set up it is the worst it's ever been, and I can safely say that it is not me!

If have no idea how to sort this out. The main module I use is a Yamaha DTXpress III, or sometimes a DM5. I don't want to compromise being able to play with dynamics either!

Any help you have would be tremendously appreciated!
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:22 pm

I don't like to muffle my drums either, so I made a small mute that fits agianst the trigger on the inside of the bass drum head.
I just took a piece of 1" wide aluminum stock, cut it about six inches long and bent it into the shape of an L. I drilled a slot into the side that attached to the shell so I can adjust it front to back, and I put some self-stick foam weather stripping on the side that presses against the head
It cut down the vibration just enough to get more headroom out of the module so the crosstalk and noise weren't maxed, but it didn't affect the sound or response of my bass drums
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:14 am

Empyrean Drums wrote:I don't like to muffle my drums either, so I made a small mute that fits agianst the trigger on the inside of the bass drum head.
I just took a piece of 1" wide aluminum stock, cut it about six inches long and bent it into the shape of an L. I drilled a slot into the side that attached to the shell so I can adjust it front to back, and I put some self-stick foam weather stripping on the side that presses against the head
It cut down the vibration just enough to get more headroom out of the module so the crosstalk and noise weren't maxed, but it didn't affect the sound or response of my bass drums

Could you possibly post a pic of this setup? This sounds really interesting but I'm having a little trouble visualizing it. Thanks!
JasonS2C
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 am

Do you blend the triggered sound with a miked up acoustic kick sound? If not, as much as I don't like it either muffle your kick. The DM5 can be tough to adjust (I used one on an ekit with mesh heads and it double triggered like a bitch. I ultimately bought a Roland.), the Yamaha is a little more forgiving. You can adjust the velocity and other parameters inside the brain to reduce double triggering. In either case if you're triggered you can't feather the bass drum, have to put some weight behind it. Also have to play with the beater off the head, can't rest it on the head between strikes. Sounds like you already evaluated your technique so try tweaking parameters. Good luck.