Alesis DM5 Pro Vs. Roland HD1 **Opinions Please**

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Hornzog » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:35 pm

Ive been playing for about 5 months now and the complaints are rolling in thick and fast so I'm thinking its time to move to electronic, Ive got about £450 maybe £500 to spend. I'm also 6'2" which may prove a problem for the Roland as its compact and the pedals are fixed in place..? The Alesis is over £100 cheaper at £350

Roland : http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73948

Alesis : http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=72119

Any opinions on what to buy would be greatly appreciated.
Hornzog
new
new

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby anavrinIV » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:41 pm

the alesis is a good brain but the pads must suck something major for that price. bad pads will cause false triggering, no triggering, no dynamics, etc...

i trust roland products. i have a td-6 set and it completely bested my expectations. the hd-1 isnt as good but it is at least a quality product.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Postby Hornzog » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Well today i had a little play on both of these kits and i have to say was more impressed with the Alesis, with me being so tall the fixed position of the pedals did not feel not right, also the Alesis toms felt more responsive when buzz rolling on them, the Roland missed the beats at high speeds. I may be mistaken but with a quick 5 minute run on each I think im going to go for the Alesis.

Any more views?
Hornzog
new
new

Postby guitarplayer08 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:36 pm

[quote="Hornzog"]Well today i had a little play on both of these kits and i have to say was more impressed with the Alesis, with me being so tall the fixed position of the pedals did not feel not right, also the Alesis toms felt more responsive when buzz rolling on them, the Roland missed the beats at high speeds. I may be mistaken but with a quick 5 minute run on each I think im going to go for the Alesis.

Any more views?[/quote]

Yeah me to.
I wan't to buy an alesis dm5 pro but don't know.
I heard though that some people buoght them and then they broke the clamps,etc.
But I think its cause if your too rough on stuff ( especially things made in China!!) than they'll break.
let me know if ya buy one!
I'll probably buy it though.

-guitarplayer08-
guitarplayer08
new
new

Postby aj1224 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:42 am

i've got the standard DM5 and i like it, the hi hat pad doesn't always sound as loud as it should but it's ok.
aj1224
beginner
beginner

Postby Gretschman1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:44 pm

I prefer the DM5 because the Bass pedal on the Roland doesn't have any action to it.
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
Paiste and Sabian Cymbals
http://www.easystreetband.biz
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

DM5 Pro

Postby I love Cheese and drums » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:47 pm

I just got my Alesis Dm5 Pro on friday and I love it. It's easy enough to setup and break down. the drum pads hold up fine. the ride and hi-hat were a little quiet but with some editing I fixed that. Sure there was some cross talk (false triggering) But if you read the manual it tells you how to fix it and it can be alittle frustrating at first but you get the hang of it.
However the Dm5 pro didnt come with head phones which pissed me off a little but then I went to Sam Ash the next day and picked up a pair for like 20-30 bucks(does the Dm5 come with head phones?). It also doesnt come with a bass pedal but I just use my pedal on my acoustic kit. It has a great list of pre set drum sets there are 21 in total but you can custom make your own I escpecially like the Jazz and Acid Kit. The only other negative thing I can say about it is that I think I'll use my regular Ride cymbal for recording and change the electric ride to a china or another crash I just like my ride better.
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Re: Alesis DM5 Pro Vs. Roland HD1 **Opinions Please**

Postby twjewett » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:33 am

Hands down, I would chose the Alesis DM5 Pro over the Roland. The Roland is good for beginners learning the fundamentals, but once you get pass that stage, there isn't many editing functions to adapt the kit to each user.
twjewett
beginner
beginner

Re: Alesis DM5 Pro Vs. Roland HD1 **Opinions Please**

Postby mxbmx930 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:56 pm

I think the roland is more than for beginners. It depends what you wanna do. If you play live with an electric kit and not an acoustic then it probably isn't for you. but check out my review and tutorial on how to make the pedals better. it might help.

mxbmx930
new
new

Return to Electronic Drum Sets