Roland TD-20 V Drums......

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Darrin64
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:54 am

Ok... I could use some advice... I am considering buying a set of Roland TD-20 V drums. I have tried them and love the sound and response I get from them. May sound crazy but I am afraid that once I start using them, I will have trouble going back to an acoustic set. Has anyone had some experience they could share about the V-drums? Thanks..
earldrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:21 pm

I have played the Roland vdrums and I find them to not be sensitive enough for me. They have a very controlled sound which may be good for the church sound guy, but I like to pull out overtones from my toms, snares, and cymbals. They have great sounds and if you are Omar Hakim, well then you won't have any problem going back to acoustic drums. Of course if I'd bet Omar plays acoustic drums more than vdrums.

I think that getting used to electronic drums without playing any acoustic drums & cymbals will hurt your playing in the long run. This is because you will not develop a sense of dynamics or touch required to make music on an acoustic set of drums and cymbals.

This is my opinion, has anyone else experienced this when playing vdrums.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:37 pm

If you're already comfortable on acoustics, you shouldn't have any problems switching back and forth.

For the last 4 years or so, I gigged with a Roland setup, upgrading to the TD20 module when it was released. It served me well and I enjoyed using it.
I didn't play much acoustic drums for that period, if any.

Recently I bought a set and started integrating them into a hybrid setup for touring. Also using acoustics in the studio for recording our next album.

I don't find any problems going from one to the other.
Yes, there are differences in feel. They are not enough to hinder your playing though. You can dial in a very personalized set of trigger-sensitivity parameters on the TD20, it's quite responsive.

I have found, however, that switching back from E's to A's has got me jonesing to leave the V-drums at home for the next tour and go totally A. I might regret it after a few weeks of gigging, but for now that's how I feel.
I'm using the V's in the studio right now for some preproduction work, and I really miss my A's!

What will you be using them for, if you purchase them?
Silent practice? Gigging? Recording?
I should say this; I never liked the cymbals~
Darrin64
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:47 pm

Thanks for the info guys..Guess I was really more worried about getting used to the sound and not going back to my acoustic set. Yeah.. Its hard to duplicate the touch and sound of a real cymbal. I really started out to just buy them as a practice set in my home studio so I could play at night without anyone hearing. But now my bass player that used to be a drummer wants me to use them on gigs. He is also our sound man so he's picky about the sound. Most places my acoustic set sounds great but he is always looking for a bass drum sound that "rips your face off" haha.. thats what he says. When he was a drummer he used triggers. I wont go down that road! If I do use the Roland set, I will definately use my cymbals and my overhead mic with them.
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:25 pm

I also have a TD-20 set up at home. I fell in love with it the minute I played it!! But in the end, it's not gonna beat a acoustic kit for me.
However I play mostly metal, and there are soo many options to choose from. If you know the module a bit, you can create awesome sounds. I also play some hip-hop, and "made"a hip-hop drumkit. When I play along with say, dr.dre, the sounds of the kit really blend in naturally with the songs, and it's a great way to check if you play in time. Because if you do, you really feel like you're the drummer!! The module is great, and the triggering is really fast and accurate. I did break a rubber ring on the tom, because I sampled a china from it, wich I used alot. Also my right crash is currently at Roland, because sometimes, the crash cymbals get jammed on the inside with crumbled rubber on the triggeredge inside the cymbal. The cymbal then starts to choke itself randomly. But this doesn't happen often. The movement of the cymbals, and sounds are also great.

However I hope Roland is gonna release an update card for it, with new sounds, because you usually want to realle perfect your sounds, once you fond the "perfect"sound.

But in the end it's a really great, fun, and really strong drumkit, because I sometimes beat the crap out of it! :lol:
taataataataatatatatadakadakadakadakadak!
Eiren
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:31 am

Reading what you've put down...

Why don't you use the mesh kit for quiet practice at home, and then use the TD-20 brain in conjunction with Roland acoustic drum triggers when you play live?

That way you can still play your acoustic kit live, and your sound man can tweak the sound of your drums all he likes through the TD-20 brain... and you'll still be able to use all your cymbals etc.
pearlgirl
beginner
beginner

Post Tue May 15, 2007 2:31 pm

Darrin64 wrote:Ok... I could use some advice... I am considering buying a set of Roland TD-20 V drums. I have tried them and love the sound and response I get from them. May sound crazy but I am afraid that once I start using them, I will have trouble going back to an acoustic set. Has anyone had some experience they could share about the V-drums? Thanks..

I was very comfortable playing the Roland td 20 kit but I did find it a bit harder to get back into playing my acoustic kit..all really depends how long u plan on playing the roland kit, the longer you leave it the harder it might be.
Darrin64
beginner
beginner

Post Wed May 23, 2007 10:32 pm

I ended up buying a new td20 kit. I have played them every weekend for a month or so now and everyone loves the sound I get. I still miss playing my acoustic setup though. The cymbals do take some getting used too, Especially the hihat. Overall I love the kit. Sound is awesome, setup is quicker, and the sound man loves me now! haha! I also bring them in my studio at home and practice new songs late at night while everyone is asleep. They are also wonderful to record with!
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 29, 2007 3:52 pm

Also my right crash is currently at Roland, because sometimes, the crash cymbals get jammed on the inside with crumbled rubber on the triggeredge inside the cymbal. The cymbal then starts to choke itself randomly. But this doesn't happen often. The movement of the cymbals, and sounds are also great.

I just wanted to announce that Roland repaired my cymbal for free!! The guarantee had already expired, but still they repaired it for free, and it works great again just like it always did!

So kudos to Roland!!
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 29, 2007 3:59 pm

pearlgirl wrote:
Darrin64 wrote:Ok... I could use some advice... I am considering buying a set of Roland TD-20 V drums. I have tried them and love the sound and response I get from them. May sound crazy but I am afraid that once I start using them, I will have trouble going back to an acoustic set. Has anyone had some experience they could share about the V-drums? Thanks..

I was very comfortable playing the Roland td 20 kit but I did find it a bit harder to get back into playing my acoustic kit..all really depends how long u plan on playing the roland kit, the longer you leave it the harder it might be.

Yeah I know what you mean, although I didn't have that problem as much as I thought I would in the beginning. I play acoustic drums at least 2 times a week with bandrehearsal, and very often during the weekend with a gig.

Some days ago I set the triggers really sensitive and got busy with double bass. it's amazing how fast you can go, but I deliberatly set them to such a level where they have the same feel as acoustic drums. So that I don't lose any power. It works great for me. Just mess around abit with the trigger-sensitivity and adjust to your own comfort. Without cheating on yourself that is...
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:04 am

I've got a td10 for practice and it is brilliant for that. But I would'nt consider playing it live, always accoustic for me. I would love to upgrade to the td20 soon, they are so much better. My perfect senario would be to have my accoustic set up at home to play on.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
drumnovido
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:34 pm

if you have the money to burn, I say burn it, I would get the V-drums if I were you. I don't own one but I think they are awesome. Check out Omar:

http://media.roland.com/en/v/V-Drums/mov/Omar_Demo1.mov
twisteddrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:56 am

I love my v-drums as well. The only real difference I notice is that the v-drums make playing double stroke roll patterns (5,7,13, etc stroke roll combos) reeeaaaal easy to play. You can move around doing roll patterns that are much harder to pull out of an acoustic kit.
I prefer my acoustic kick to my rolad pad. The roland kick gives kina a wierd bounce back compared to the acoustics. (guess I like my kick heads to be a little floppy). I also find you really have to exagerate your soft dynamics to get a quiet response out of the rolands as well, but that can be adjusted. The dynamic response in general seems to me to be a bit limited, but that is probably just due to lack of self control on my part.
Over all they are a great addition to any drummer's arsenal. I use them waay more than I ever thought I would.
DW Drums& Pedals
Zidljian Cymbals
Roland V-drums
Twisted Tower Dire &Jon Fritz band
mykal
new
new

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:31 am

I have a Roland tour kit with all v-drum pads and I dig it .I've been playing for 40 years and having the means to practice anytime I want is the greatest thing to me.I can sit for hours and my family doesn't drive me nuts.As far as going from one kit to the next no problem. :arrow:
pasta
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:11 pm

Those of you less than enamored of the cymbal sounds can download tweaked kits free from this site:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/3339790/4544 ... _Kits.html
You won't believe the difference. You'll need this software http://tdstudio.rejibyte.com/overview.php
and a MIDI cable or CF card (only works with TD-20) to transfer to the module from your computer.
Hart GigaPro, Roland TD-12, Tama throne w/ back rest, Trick Pro 1-V Big Foot pedal,
Ultrasone HI-FI 550 headphones, Taye GoKit, Bosphorus, Zildjian & Sabian cymbals