Roland's new HD1 kit

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

HD-1

Postby alexfoxx » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:49 am

It's been a while I've had my HD-1 and I still think it's an awesome little practice set. The sounds are great and sound authentic, and the best thing is I can play as loud as I want in my apartment along with music. The petals really are quiet.

Alex
alexfoxx
beginner
beginner

HD-1

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby king_friday » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:57 am

it is a fun little kit to mess around on, but i absolutly hate the pedals.
king_friday
drumming adept
drumming adept

Pedals

Postby alexfoxx » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:50 am

I admit the pedals are the worst thing about this set. I can see myself upgrading to a better set within a couple of years.
alexfoxx
beginner
beginner

Postby sharp13 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:12 pm

i had the priviledge to try one of these out, and i have my sights set on getting one, perfect for an appartment i think
sharp13
beginner
beginner

Postby MarSin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:48 pm

I've had this set for about three months now and played for about three hours a day. I also wrote a review on it for Musicians Friend.com

I've been playing drums for a very long time. And this has to be the single best drum investment I have ever made in my entire life. All I ever wanted was a kit that I could play at any time I wanted to get better. This was it. My skills have improved ridiculously over the past three months. I've heard people love this thing or hate it. I absolutely love it. Although it's not for everyone. If you have the $5,000 or 2 1/2 thousand dollars and don't mind lots of wires and annoying set up get yourself a TD 10 or above. Those are really amazing sets. I personally don't have the money.

If you want to hear what it sounds like checkout the file in my signature. It is all HD 1. Authentic and awesome no??

Just to be completely objective with you:
There are 3 problems with it in my opinion. For one I feel like the ride cymbol should be a little bit louder. Second, I felt like initially I had a harder time controlling the bass drum when I was doing a set of two 32nd notes. Like a really fast double. Took me some time to adjust to that. Since then my foot has actually gotten much more adapted to it and actually much stronger because of it. The third third criticism I could think of is the fact that you don't have double bass and a high hat in one kit. I will remedy this with just putting a high hat next to the set. I am going to make a monster set out of this by sprucing it up with live cymbols and percussive toys and drums around.

People have argued to me that it's a crappy set it only has 10 kits. The way I look at it is for $800 I could never find an acoustic drum said that would sound nearly as good, least of all symbols that would be able to match the ones on the set. For the same $800 and getting three or four other kids all in one in one like easy to use easy to play quiet or loud set! It's awesome! Absolutely perfect for beginners. If they ever lower the price to like 699 I really think everyone should have one.

Here's my review for musicians friend:

I've been playing drums for 15 years all different styles, from jazz fusion combos to progressive metal and everything in between in multiple bands as well as in academic settings. I totally fell in love with this drum kit once I tried it. I think it all depends on what you're looking for.
What I like about it and why it fits me perfectly. Excellent sounds, ease of use, PORTABILITY, looks, flexibility of sounds compared to an acoustic kit, feel of pads, very quiet.

First of all it's ROLAND. Do these guys ever really make anything that's not high-quality? No. It's not meant to be the stage kit for an arena type band. As someone who has been playing drums for a long time I am totally stealing this for a super portable, flexible, fun gigging/practice/trigger recording kit, which looks great and feels great. It is easier and lighter to set up than a cocktail kit yet delivers a tremendous amount more sounds for a great price.

I actually owned a ROLAND TD 6 V Club Kit and sold that to buy this.

I'm lazy. I like to play, I hate carrying things. One of my biggest selling points on this kit was its portability.

I can still completely sound like a MONSTER on this five piece kit.

But all I have to do is unplug it, take the one-piece shove it in the back of my car, take it out plug it in and plug it into the venue monitors and I'm done! No annoying cables, no multiple trips, no carrying 50 pounds of gear multiple times. This thing rocks! It has the sound of a full kit and more with 5 drum sets that I use regularly but is about as heavy as the smallest cocktail acoustic kit you can possibly find.

If I want to make it elaborate I can always bring some extra cymbals to place around it as well as some percussive drums. The kit looks absolutely great! The pads feel absolutely great, they are softer and better than the TD six in my opinion.

I had absolutely no problems with the pedals being able to do 16th note triplets and 32nd notes at the click of a button. Yes it is a little bit different but I believe transitioning shouldn't take more than 15 minutes tops.

If you're using it to practice in an apartment it's fantastic, which is one reason I appreciate this. No matter where I go and live in the future I'm very flexible and can always play.

The 10 Drum Kits
The first drum kit is absolutely great. Easily much better sounding/professional than anything you can possibly buy in an acoustic drum for this price.

You know that feeling when you sit behind a drum set and it sounds so good it actually inspires you to play better? Well this kit is on that level. It has a great jazz kit, a good Latin kit. A double bass kit. These are the ones I mainly use.

The kit has two or three completely worthless kits to me with stupid voices. I don't really care. The way I look at it is a regular acoustic kit is just one kit this way I get at least three useful ones that sound great for cheaper price. Besides all of this if I use this for recording I wind up using the MIDI out and change all the samples once I've triggered them in my computer anyway.

I just recommended this for a child's student of mine. He can play a whole lot more since his parents won't want to kill him for banging on real drums, yet still get the feel of a real drum set and forward coordination.

I definitely recommend you actually go to a store and try one of these out to see whether it's good for you before you buy.

If you're looking for good sounds, extreme portability, quietness of sound, a trigger drum set for recording, check this one out.

Sorry for all the typos! I have horrible tendinitis and cannot type so I have to use speech recognition software to do so which is a real big pain in the ass. But I need to save my fingers for drums ;-)
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b-z71pJ4qHM"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b-z71pJ4qHM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
MarSin
beginner
beginner

Re: Roland's new HD1 kit

Postby mxbmx930 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:59 pm

I agree with the bad pedal feel, i did a review of the HD-1 and a tutorial on how to fix the problem with pedals being too light and sloppy. check it out, I hope it helps.

mxbmx930
new
new

Postby Peyton » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:11 am

I saw these

Code: Select all
http://www.andertons.co.uk/electronic-drums/cid567/electronic-drums.asp

at Andertons. It looks great ! Suppose once i will try it!
Peyton
new
new

Postby sakuragi2012 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Roland E-drum are the brand for electronic drum...best for real drums... :idea:
sakuragi2012
new
new

Previous

Return to Electronic Drum Sets