Questions about Alesis DM5 Pro

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby rigemeister » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:06 pm

Pretty soon I'll be heading off to college, so I'll be needing an electric kit to practice quietly. After a little bit of research, I was interested in the Alesis DM5 Pro. However, I'm pretty picky about some kit specs, so I had some questions.
How expandable is the DM5 Pro?
Can you add multi-zone cymbals or drums? Like a ride with a bell or a chokable crash.
Can you upload more sounds into the brain?
Can the kit be plugged into the computer?
How's the overall sound/hardware quality?

I'm on a relatively tight budget and have no qualms about buying something new, so if you would recommend a different kit to meet my specifications, please do. Another one I was thinking of was the Yamaha DTXPress IV.
Thank you.
rigemeister
beginner
beginner

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Questions about Alesis DM5 Pro

Postby scotto46 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:32 pm

You have 12 inputs, but none are dual zone / stereo.
I just got the kit a month ago.
The only issue I had was the 16 note polyphony was cutting off my buzz rolls, etc.
You can't use chokable pads afaik either.
the hihat is open closed only - no inbetween.
The sounds are okay - but there are really only a few usable ones imho.

I ended up keeping the pads and selling the dm5 head and getting a yamaha dtx500 for a $100 more.

I would suggest this:
there are peeps on ebay selling the "real head" pads for about $40 each for the 8" - I would suggest getting a 10" for your snare - you can get a yamaha three zoner for $100 - so 3x40 plus 100 = about 220 for the toms/snare and figure $50 for a decent kick tower - total so far about $275 - you can get a whole BETTER rack from a high end roland or yamaha for about $75 = so now you are at $350 - add a used dtx 500 for about $200 or new for $300 and you are just a little bit higher , but WAY better - the dtx has triple zone snare and cymbal options with full choke and hi hat, metronome, 64 songs to play along with, recording - and way better samples of actual 5k yamaha drum kits.
scotto46
new
new

Return to Electronic Drum Sets