Roland SPD-S

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Rockula! » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:30 am

Here's my electronic station
Roland SPDS
Digitec Vocal 300
Boss BR864
Alesis Ineko DJ effects processor
Alesis D4 drum module
Various electronic pads I have manufactured Image
You say irritant, I say catalyst
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Johnfixious » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:00 am

i know you can mess with the velocity as you mentioned and also each wav can be gated but other than that i dunno.

Here's something i've been wondering about though maybe you guys can help.

When i dumped all the factory stuff there are a lot of empty spots in between wavs i've recorded is there a way to close those gaps by moving the positions of all of my wavs to the beginning numbers so i won't have to scroll so much to find my wavs.
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Postby Rockula! » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:16 am

I don't have it in front of me but I believe you can go into "edit" mode and there is a "patch exchange"
You just dial in the "empty" number you want to move the wave to and it switches them
I think
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Postby Johnfixious » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:55 am

so i'll most likely have to move each one individually yeah?
I figured it wouldn't be quite as easy, luckily i've only got about 20 samples that i've recorded thus far. Lemme know if you get hold of yours and figure it out before i do . Thanks
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Postby DrumBoy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:31 pm

I love my SPD-20 and my V-Drum setups. Although I'm a Acoustic drum purist, I really love the qualities of a good electric drumkit. My TD-20 kit has been getting quite a workout lately as I trailer it completely assembled on a rolling platform and takes all of 10min. to get unloaded, setup and powered up. They are convenient.

-DrumBoy.

You can read my blog on MySpace which has a list of Drum equipment I currently use.

http://www.myspace.com/idodrum
DrumBoy
beginner
beginner

This thing has more abilities than most think about

Postby SeanGordon » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:24 am

I for one do drum solo stuff with my guitarist, we use a second spliced guitar line from his Vox Tonelab SE and run it mono in to the SPD-S. Then I use an expression pedal on the SPD-S and run live sampling (play though mode) and can alter his guitar sound in sync with any sample played over it, as well as alter them all with the Exp Pedal. Also having the option to Re-Sample in realtime is amazing... push re-sample pick the open pad record start playing your licks on the other pads the stop play the selected pad and everything u just did is being looped... (Even line in audio) Its A MONSTER!

The Unit also supports a Dual Trigger and roland Hi hat Pedal all at the same time. Plus if you wanted to have a cheap High Quality Roland Vdrum kit, Get a couple of the Mesh Pads and the MIDI Trigger Expansion roland makes its a box that connects midi that gives you 6 more triggers. and its like 150-250 bucks

Its nice to use an exp pedal with the effects or to tune and detune samples in real time... no other electronic drum has this kind of flexiblity not even their V-Drum units. This is a "MUST ADD" to any Creative or working drummer.

I made samples from the actual public speeches found at the library of congress that are in CULT of Personality, so when we play it live its the real deal... They Sound Great! People pretty much Shit their pants.

-SG
SeanGordon
beginner
beginner

Postby Johnfixious » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:53 pm

moose07 wrote:I am currently saving for an SPD-S, they sound amazing.

It sounds like i'm just pitching the place that i work, but thats not the case.

Just a heads up for everyone, but if you pick up an SPDS, Guitar center offers you the ability to pick up a "performance guarantee"

It's a piece of electronics, that you physically hit with a stick and hope your accurate.

And yes its like an extra 40 bucks, but for 2 years, its pretty much a comprehensive replacement policy.

Cracked screens, dead pads, whatever. They either fix it or give you a new one.
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Postby Johnfixious » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:46 am

Rockula! wrote:Here's my electronic station
Roland SPDS
Digitec Vocal 300
Boss BR864
Alesis Ineko DJ effects processor
Alesis D4 drum module
Various electronic pads I have manufactured Image

wow killer setup, i just hope for your sake you've got a roadie to set it up, otherwise it looks like that would take forever.
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Postby Rockula! » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Funny that you should mention that
I have my first gig coming up on April 29th
Practice has now become "boot camp"
I had to give up my rehearsal studio that I had rented for years
I was lucky enough to jump on a copule of empty closests in the building so I use them to store my gear
The guy who owns the studio knows how loyal I have been, paid my rent a month in advance and brought in new clients
So, he has allowed me access to a GIANT CNCRETE BOX of a room
I "rehearse" 3 times a week and it usually comes out to be about6 or 7 hours long
Here's my regiment

Lug all of my stuff from upstairs
Time my setup (about 45 mins to 1 hour)
Perform my set
Take a break (eat, stretch etc...)
Perform the set again
Make adjustments and notes
Time my break down process

My break down is 2 phases
1-Get everything "off the stage" (I imagine a soundman riding my ass the whole time whilst the next band browbeats me)
2-Keep everything relatively close to each other so I can keep an eye on it
3- Break down the bulkiest pieces first so that I create the most room as possible (hardware always goes first)
4-Take stock of all gear so i don't get it stolen or lost

The most involved part is rolling up cables
What a bitch

Keep in mind that this solo performance project is not intended for normal situations like clubs
There's no "setting up in 10 minutes, with no soundcheck, 35 minute set and get the hell off the stage" for me
I play warehouses, art studios and pretty much anywhere I am allowed control over the evening

Yes
I do everything myself
Last edited by Rockula! on Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Postby Johnfixious » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:39 pm

That's quite a feat in my opinion.
I definitely have sized down my setup from a 7 piece 9 cymbal setup, to a 4 piece with the SPDS and some pads, 6 cymbals. I'm picky about placement, and when you play 6 times a month, you have to be able to adapt to whatever club or bar your in. Still takes me about 40 minutes to setup, but that includes helping the other guys to carry in thier stuff, and our complete sound and light setup too
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Postby m » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:05 pm

question for experienced SPD-s users:

what's the limit on the sample time you can access while playing the thing live?
I know the internal memory allows for the following, depending on quality setting:
LONG = 12 minutes
STANDARD = 6 minutes
FINE = 3 minutes

what I'm wondering is, when they say a flash card expands that time greatly, can you actually access the samples on the card and trigger them in real-time off the card? Or do they have to be loaded into the SPD's RAM, so that you really can't get more than the internal memory allows onto this unit (12,6,3)?

Is 3 minutes the limit for what this thing can trigger live in Fine mode? Or am I understanding it incorrectly, and you can trigger off the card?
I've DL'd and read the manual, but I can't really tell if you HAVE to import those samples off the card to access them.
Hope that makes sense~
thanks in advance...
m
groove master
groove master

Postby Rockula! » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:32 pm

I can only answer by telling you what I do
First of all, I went in and erased pretty much everything from the internal memory
Any notes I sample myself, I relegate to internal memory
All loops and phrases go on the card
I have no idea if there is a limit on the length of a sample

I believe it can trigger anything in any mode as long as you have enough card space
Anyone?
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Postby m » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:20 pm

that pretty much is the info I need-
just wanted to make sure that you can trigger off the card in realtime and weren't limited to just the internally loaded samples.

thanks!
now, to find a deal...
m
groove master
groove master

Postby northwest4326 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:28 pm

Hi!
I just got a roland SPD-S and I am stuck. I get how to basic sample and I went to do another one andit reads, "memory full". I think I only have 1 sample in it, just to get it down. Basically, how do you delete stuff? Thanks!
northwest4326
new
new

Postby Rockula! » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:40 pm

I am doing this from memory so please feel free to correct me

Press the "wave" button
Select the sound/loop you wish to delete
Press the "edit" button
Scroll to the right until you reach the "delete" function
Hit "enter"
The phrase "are you sure?" will come up
Hit "enter" again

**************************BEFORE YOU DO THIS**************************

Maybe you might want to buy a memory card
Even an inexpnsive one with small memory can hold quite a few sounds
It is when you start sampling loops and phrases that you eat up space
That way you don't have to delete all of your stock sounds (some which are ridiculous and some which are usefull)

The coolest "stock" sounds on the SPDS?
Digeridoo (reverse it and lower the pitch)
Slapstick (reduce the pitch to it's lowest.....spooky)
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

PreviousNext

Return to Electronic Drum Sets