Roland SPD-S

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby The Alien Drummer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:03 am

I lost my hard drive a month or so ago and lost most of my samples. I have about 30 new ones. Just PM me and let me know what you might want.
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Dead Pad on the SPDS?

Postby Johnfixious » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:49 am

Rockula! wrote:The other problem is that my pad seems to be malfunctioning right now (wouldn't ya know it, just after the warranty expires)

I found this when i was researching to buy one.

"Here's a quick and easy fix for the famous dead pad problem!"

Feature:
A very well thought-out user interface, combined with the ability to do more than you might imagine make this little gadget a winner. Initially I used it only to augment my acoustic kit with samples of auxiliary percussion, but it was surprisingly easy to get into the other features. You can play a sequence live on the pads and save the whole thing as a sample, which helps get around the polyphony limitation if you're building up something elaborate. With a Compact Flash card installed, the extra storage allows you to trigger some extremely long full-quality samples. The external controller and foot switch inputs can be programmed to do almost anything. Think beyond drums: the SPD-S is deliciosly versatile.

Quality:
READ THIS! Others have correctly reported that false triggering and dead pads can appear after only a few months of use. The good news is that it can easily be fixed by anyone with a Phillips #2 screwdriver and reasonably good hand skills. WARNING: I'm an experienced technician. Don't try this unless you're comfortable working inside electronic equipment. What you need to do is carefully clean the contacts on the ribbon cables that connect the pad sensors to the main circuit board. To do this, turn the unit over, remove the stand adaptor and the 15 screws that hold the bottom on. Slide the bottom up and back to clear the switches, controls and jacks on the rear apron. Remove the 3 screws holding the foil shield over the main circuit board, and fold the foil back. CAREFULLY pull out the two ribbon cables from CN11 and CN12. Use a clean WHITE eraser to gently clean the oxide from the silver contacts on the ends of the cables. They will get visibly cleaner. Turn over each cable end to make sure you've cleaned every contact. GENTLY plug the cables back in ALL THE WAY, making sure they're the right way around (the correct directions are shown in white ink on the main board). Carefully reassemble the unit and test it. Chances are the problem pads will be completely restored. NOTE: doing the above WILL void your warranty. Attempt it only if you're confident in your abilities, and you want to fix your beloved SPD-S without spending a dime or waiting for weeks.

Value:
Slightly overpriced perhaps, but overall the SPD-S is a lot of creative power in an appealing versatile package. If it was $100 less, I'd probably have a second one by now.

Desirability:
It's very tough not to fall in love with this thing - try one out in a music shop and see what I mean! A quick flip through the manual and a glance at the rear panel reveals the great thinking that went into this product. It's worthwhile even if you "only" want to use it to add dozens of top-quality sounds to your setup. The fact that you can store tons more of your own sounds on Compact Flash was the clincher for me. But think beyond the obvious - there's a LOT that can be done with the SPD-S.

Sound:
The ability to play standard WAV files is great. The effects are a little mid-grade, and the sampling inputs are a little noisy, but it's more than possible to make top quality sounds with this unit.

Ease of Use:
I get frustrated easily with clunky programming interfaces, but once you've gone through a procedure once with the SPD-S manual on hand, you'll never need to look it up again. The multi-function buttons light up and flash to remind you what you need to do, and the prompts in the LCD window make sense. Experienced gearheads could probably get by without ever cracking the manual.

Support:
Roland was hard to reach, didn't offer quick turnaround for professional users, and wouldn't supply service materials, thus necessitating my vigilante repair described above. Roland service is generally okay, but unspectacular.

Overall:
I'd buy another SPD-S in a heartbeat if anything happened to my current one. Ideally, I'd have two or three. I do a regular gig with only the SPD-S and two foot switches. Try THAT with anything else that costs $500 and fits into a laptop case. There are a couple of things I'd like to see improved, like faster importing of WAV files, or more sensible choices in ribbon cable contact plating materials (see above), but overall this box is a great tool, and can bring new creative possibilities to almost any setup.
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Postby Rockula! » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:23 pm

I had my boss at the music store I work at look the thing over
He is a qualified electronics repairman and we tested everything to make sure the piezos were not dead
I am not completely sure what happened but I think I may have made a change whilst running around inside the menus (don't change parameters when you're stoned)
I transferred all my samples/patterns to my flash card and turned off the unit
After removing the card (and making sure I got everything on the card) I initialized the entire system
It was a gamble that because I did not know if it was a hardware problem or a settings problem
After initializing the entire system, I turned it back on and was able to assign samples to pads and re-build all of my patches

I have learned my lesson with this pad
I agree that putting a brain directly under a striking surface is not the best thing
I am using my extension triggers for most of my "guitar/bass" parts and the seldom used parts go on the actual pads so that there is less heavy striking during the course of a song

The next sampler I buy will be one that separate from the playing surface
You say irritant, I say catalyst
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Postby Johnfixious » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:37 pm

I'm still at the moment a guitar center employee, NOT in sales anymore though, luckily, too many kids come in there and just wank, but the performance guarantee's are stellar for the price especially for electronics. Unless its visually chopped to bits or abused they typically replace it no questions asked, or give you the money you spent on the piece, i get em on cymbals even though i've yet to break a single one in 15 years, but electronics are new to me so i'm at least coverered to an extent.
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Postby Qbs » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:03 am

The Alien Drummer: sorry to bug you about the SPD-S again :) but do you have any pic showing how it's mounted to your drumkit?
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Johnfixious » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:51 am

check out the tommy lee version of DRUM magazine, they just featured a section all about adding electronics to your drum kit. I haven't taken a picture of my newest addition just yet, I'll try to get around to it soon.
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Postby The Alien Drummer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:07 am

I'm changing my set later this month but still trying to figure how I will change the mount. I've done a couple of different ways, here's how I have it now: I use the Roland clamp mounted to a boom stand. The boom stand is mounted to the ICON rack with an adjustable clamp tilted away from me. It's worked for the couple of months I've mounted it that way but I'm worried about the extra vibrations from when I hit the small china mounted on the boom.
Before I just had it mounted to a straight stand.

I'll shoot some pics when I change it.
Hope that helps!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-APC33-Drum-Pad-Clamp?sku=421352

http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Rockula! » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:56 am

I use a snare basket clamped to a stand that holds one of my triggers
My new drum setup is posted on my MySpace music profile
"PyroPlasticFlow"
http://www.myspace.com/pyroplasticflow

I had to put red tape in between the pads so I could separate them on a dark stage
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Postby mortem » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:40 pm

Rockula! wrote:I use a snare basket clamped to a stand that holds one of my triggers
My new drum setup is posted on my MySpace music profile
"PyroPlasticFlow"
http://www.myspace.com/pyroplasticflow

I had to put red tape in between the pads so I could separate them on a dark stage

holy hell... that's :shock: wow.. interesting hahaha

btw, where do you all get your samples from??
"Master your instrument, master the music... then forget all that shit and just play."
-Charlie Parker

www.myspace.com/elfungo
www.last.fm/user/m0rtem
http://www.youtube.com/m0rtem
mortem
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Qbs » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:27 am

The Alien Drummer: thanks for the pics. I was wondering if there was any clamp & mounting system for the spd-s and now I know there is one :).
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Johnfixious » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:12 am

yeah roland makes a mount the fits most thier TD drum modules, the screws that come attached to the bottom of the spds is for fastening it. that mount can either be put into a cymbal stand, or anything along those lines matching the diameter, Pearl makes an AX-20, attachement clamp which is feature in the spds manual as the primary means of mounting this bad boy.
Some people will actually use a snare basket to mount the spds, but its not sturdy and usually will limit you by blocking one of the sample pads.
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Postby Rockula! » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:55 pm

mortem wrote: holy hell... that's :shock: wow.. interesting hahaha
btw, where do you all get your samples from??

I create my own samples note for note
The beauty of the SPDS is that you can sample each note or chord etc...and treat it like a small keyboard with 9 notes (11 if you use the xtension triggers)
My music is not so complicated that every phrase I write had more than 5 or 6 notes
I arrange the notes in the most comfortable playing order
Then I use the phrase sampler and tap the pads in sequence
The other thing that is cool is the mute group feature
You can decide if each note rings for the duration of the sample or the next note played can stop the previous
This opens the possibility of having a guitar line that does not behave like a normal guitar player
Even if you palm mute, each note has a certain inertia after the note is played and even if you cannot hear it, you can feel it
If you put all your notes on the same mute group, you can keep the rough edges of a home made sample but they behave mechanically
I don't really care much for stock sounds because they are too clean
I make each note have it's own sound instead of sampling one note and just changing the pitch
That way it sounds more like it is being played live instead of an ultra pristine ready made sample

I know this is kinda rambling I will try to clarify if you need me to
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Postby Johnfixious » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:12 pm

yeah i dumped like 90 percent of the preset samples and patchs. I just need to stop being lazy and do the recording in the studio of all the stuff i wanna use, right now i'm solely sticking to samples for the cover songs we play .
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Postby FunkyDrummer » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:20 am

Say I want to play congas/bongos whatever percussion and I think that I would assign a high sound to one of the pads and the lower sound to another. Is it possible to play dynamicly on the SPD-S or would I have to asign different dynamic levels to rest of the pads?
be funky!
FunkyDrummer
beginner
beginner

Postby Rockula! » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:25 am

The pads are velocity sensitive but I have only seen the volume of the patch increase
As far as assigning different samples to each velocity
I do believe there is a way to do it but I never explored it
I treat it more as a recorder, phrase maker and loop triggering device
Anyone know what function I am talking about?
Anyone?
Buheler?
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

PreviousNext

Return to Electronic Drum Sets