Roland SPD-S

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Roland SPD-S

Postby The Alien Drummer » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:48 am

Thanks for opening the Electronics page.

My best electronics purchase has been the Roland SPD-S. It has some built in sounds but gives me the ability to sample whatever (kick, snare, tom, etc) sound that I want to. It has 9 pads and an input for two triggers.

I also have an old Yamaha PTX8 that I bought new in 1989 and an old proteus 1 that I bought for sounds about the same time.

For my kit I trigger the kick and snare thru the SPD-S and getting ready to do the toms also but thru the PTX8. I have a couple of roland pads in addition to the SPD-S.

I would love to have a full electronic kit to practice on and for very small venues.

If anyone has samples to share I would be happy to swap some of mine. Just give me a buzz.

Later- Jeff
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Roland SPD-S

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Drummerjew » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:10 am

Sounds like you know what ur doing in ur set...I'm thinking of adding an electric set to my pearl set. And what u said really helped me out on what to do with my set now. thanx!!!
Pearl set
Zildjian cymbals
Remo heads
Triple base peddle
Drums are my life

www.myspace.com/samdrummerw
Drummerjew
beginner
beginner

Postby DrumHead15 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:12 am

I love using my V-Drums for any size venue. First time I played them out I thought it might have been a mistake, but when the Mackie subs kicked in it was magic. We could hardly sound check for the people wanting to check out the eKit.

Don't get me wrong about acoustics. It is just really cool to be able to dial up some of my saved kits to place spot on for the song. I play a V-Drum TD-10 full kit. I wish it had a CF card slot on it. I believe the TD-20 does. If not I will wait to upgrade/add the newest Roland version when brought to market. I also use the Roland Handsonic SPD-15 and a SPD-20 (?-you know the one with six or eight trigger pads. Looks like a table top.)
Pearl Masterworks Kit, BRX Kit, two MM Acrylic Kits, Roland V-Drums Kit, SPD-15, SPD-20, Octabans, Gong BD, Full Rototom Kit, 12+Snares, around 100 Paiste's & Various Cymbals: Zildjian, Sabian, drum racks: Pearl, DrumFrame VX1 www.myspace.com/drumhead15
DrumHead15
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby m » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:24 pm

those multipads seem like a cool addition to a kit.
I've got the KAT pad and hope to work it in eventually, but so far we just use it as an aux percussion station onstage and the singer or guitarist joins in when they feel like it.

I went from fully E to a hybrid approach now with a little of each.
I think no matter what main kit I end up playing I'd always want to have some E- elements involved. There's just too many options to pass up!

thanks for sharing your approach, guys~
m
groove master
groove master

Postby moose07 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:18 pm

I am currently saving for an SPD-S, they sound amazing.
moose07
new
new

Postby mortem » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:23 am

I just got mine a couple of days ago.. can't wait to fully get the juice out of this thing!!!
"Master your instrument, master the music... then forget all that shit and just play."
-Charlie Parker

www.myspace.com/elfungo
www.last.fm/user/m0rtem
http://www.youtube.com/m0rtem
mortem
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Qbs » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:50 pm

I'm thinking about getting a SPD-S for my drumset, but one thing bothers me - are the built in samples include sounds like bongos, congas, timbalitos etc? How about some effects - any reverbs, delays etc?
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby The Alien Drummer » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:26 pm

It has 200 sounds & 28 effects, I believe. But being a sampling pad you can put in any sound you want. Also can create loops!

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Qbs » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:09 am

ok one last question - is it really as user friendly and easy to use for a total electronic drums n00b? :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Roland SPD

Postby REVEREND_HUDSON » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:36 am

I too was considering getting one of these to not only suppliment drum sounds and loops but also to trigger different "keyboardy" samples we do on tape. Is it user friendly?
REVEREND_HUDSON
beginner
beginner

Postby m » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:59 am

I attended a Johnny Rabb clinic where he demo'd the pad and put it to really good use, triggering music that he played along to- very cool.
He described in detail what he was doing and it seemed very simple to set up and use.
m
groove master
groove master

Postby The Alien Drummer » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:19 am

As far as being easy, just just plug it in and go. It has built in sounds and loops to get you started. Just press the +/- scroll buttons to scroll through the different patches or waves.

After that just follow the book and you shouldn't have any probelms setting up your own custom kits and then dive into the fun of sampling sounds and using them in your music!

The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby REVEREND_HUDSON » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:25 am

Sweet thanks yo.
REVEREND_HUDSON
beginner
beginner

Postby Rockula! » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:22 am

The SPDS is the single most important piece of equipment I own
It allows me to make this joke
Q-How many bass and guitar players does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A- None, I have a machine that does that now

I am a one man industrial band that triggers loops in real time
I compose bass and guitar parts and then use the phrase sampler to build the loops
The different "instruments" are panned left and right so I get separation in the PA
This concept has been very liberating for me as an artist because I could never find people to play such experimental minded stuff

The drawbacks?
The pads are a bit hard to differentiate in a dark stage environment so I used red tape to "pinstripe" the pad to see the division between pads
This is invaluable for those songs with 5 or 6 different loops
The other problem is that my pad seems to be malfunctioning right now (wouldn't ya know it, just after the warranty expires)
I built my own triggers for the main loops because I tend to hit real hard
I think I may have knocked the unit silly

Having a flash memory card is also a huge plus because I can load an entire show's worth of data onto one card

I didn't care for the stock sounds so I just went in and erased a good 90% of the data
Some of the sounds are cool when you manipulate them backwards and change the pich but generally, I can cover the stock sounding stuff on my Alesis D4
Besides, stock sounds are so bland
It's much more fun and interesting to create your own stuff
It's not so sterile and there are rough edges
You say irritant, I say catalyst
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Postby Johnfixious » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:51 pm

I just bought the SPDS as well, and it already makes a beautiful addition to my yamaha kits.
But besides the sampling ability for long waves, i'm sorry i don't have any to share "YET" but can anyone hook me up with some killer drum sounds?
Snare hits, bass, 808 drops, cymbals, toms, congas, and does
anyone know the best way to get drum sounds off of BFD?
I just joined this site but you can be sure that once i've got my electronics set up i'll be more than happy to share what i find.
And if you guys can't help me out with sending some sounds my way any links or advice on where to get quality stuff from?
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Next

Return to Electronic Drum Sets