To late for triggers??

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

To late for triggers??

Postby ObZen88 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:14 am

So I have a gig in exactly a week. I want to put triggers on my bass drum, and the rest of my band desperately does as well, however I have reservations about doing it so close to a gig. I have never used them before, and I will be running it through a roland td-10 brain. Question is, is it a bad idea to do it now for the gig, or is it a pretty simple process? (Guitarist says theres nothing to it, and we should get it done, but then again, he is the guitarist) Also, heard good things about roland's latest trigger..at least for the bass drum....Any rec's on a good trigger?
ObZen88
drumming adept
drumming adept

To late for triggers??

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: To late for triggers??

Postby Empyrean Drums » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:42 am

It really is pretty simple, you just want to be sure how you module functions. The Roland triggers should be fine, just stay away from the Ddrum Redshots or self-stick triggers. If you have a PA at your practice space, use it to set up you triggers. The sounds coming from the PA can make your triggers false, if you are just trying to set up through headphones you can have them more sensitive before they double trigger. The PA at the Bluebird is of course louder, so you will need to do some slight tweaking when you sound check. It wouldn’t hurt to bring some extra muffling for you kick as well.
On thing to keep in mind with triggers- you have to play at a consistent volume. If you pound on your kick when you are playing a simple beat and then play soft when you start playing fast it can cause some problems. Get them set up ASAP and start practicing with them; it will take some getting used to.
What band are you in?
Verify our range to target, one ping only…
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Postby ObZen88 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:52 am

Thanks for the advice. Out of curiosity..What kind of problems will it cause with volume inconsistencies? Just mis triggering? Also, will i need to tighten up the bass drum more than usual? I play in the band Gevurah
ObZen88
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Empyrean Drums » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:17 pm

Yeah, double/mis triggering. I find that tightening the bass head makes the triggers more sensitive, but I also don't have any muffling in my kicks
So you practice at Dave's house, right?
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Postby ObZen88 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:19 pm

Yes, thats kind of weird. who are you?
ObZen88
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Empyrean Drums » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:25 pm

ObZen88 wrote:Yes, thats kind of weird. who are you?

I'm Steve, I've know Dave for a few years now. After FSF broke up I tried jammin' with him, but I'm more of a straight thrash/grind player and I'm not as good playing the syncopated stuff.
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Postby ObZen88 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:57 pm

right on man! I think I may have met you once upon a time. Thanks for the advice!
ObZen88
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Electronic Drum Sets