I'm considering purchasing an electronic drum kit - ADVICE??

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: I'm considering purchasing an electronic drum kit - ADVICE??

Postby drummerduba » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:22 pm

You ain't looking hard enough then...

http://www.myspace.com/blackstarritual My old band from 2004 - 2007 (Recordings done in 2006)
http://www.myspace.com/metaldrummerfromhell Features my old band Blood Red Ruin who I still play with occasionally.
The Blood Red Ruin recordings are from the same gig where I proposed to Stacey on stage right after the set.

More songs will be posted on my solo page in the next month or two as I'm the studio recording tracks for my Solo Album at the moment

Cheers
Duba
Last edited by drummerduba on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverfox Drumsticks UK Artist
Soultone Cymbals UK Artist
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby drummerduba » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Anyways, I'm done having to prove myself to you johnny d**khead..you are a lost cause

If you have any problems with me then you can go complain to the Mods if you really want to......in second thoughts they will probably just tell you to f**k right off...

Let us all get back on topic folks... :lol:

Cheers
Duba
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Postby syntaxerror » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Nice tunes Dubba!!

Seriously why is everyone ripping on that electric drums guy?

Did I miss something?
If you stick to one thing, you'll only acheive one thing!!
syntaxerror
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby nydubber » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:40 pm

syntaxerror wrote:Did I miss something?

in as few words as possible - yes :mrgreen:
Sonor Performer/ZXT Titaniums/DW 9000/Sonor+Pearl Hardware
nydubber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby drummerduba » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:41 pm

http://www.drumsmylife.com/worlds-only-electric-drums-t17334.html

Read the WHOLE thread to be brought up to date. Happy readings!!!

Cheers
Duba
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Postby syntaxerror » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:02 pm

Ah ok. I see now. lol
If you stick to one thing, you'll only acheive one thing!!
syntaxerror
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby johnny nobody » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:43 pm

Hey duba,
You know you forced me to defend myself against your mouth. I got no problem with you and you should just drop the crap. It wasn't me who started the so called "call out". I listened to your band and the second link was not working. Those drums kind of sounded like electronics. If they were not, try pulling the top mounted mics back a hair more from the heads like 7" or more.
Worlds Only ELECTRIC DRUMS

The only true electrically manipulated percussion. ELECTRO ACOUSTIC DRUMS can do what no other type can do. Fully controlled feed back and tones unattainable on ANY other kit or module!

www.youtube.com/electricdrums
johnny nobody
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby drummerduba » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:32 am

Fixed the link...listen away chaps :lol:

Johnny...

I admit I started the call-outs...everyone thanked me for that because you wouldn't shut up about your "product". However, what pissed me off the most was the personal insults...

I will never forgive you for that..I noticed you still havn't had the balls to apologise for that....I will only drop the crap when and if you finally decide to post a PUBLIC apology in the General Drums Discussion part of the forum.

You will apologise to ME
You will apologise to STACEY
You will apologise to EVERYONE on this forum.

You got that?

Cheers
Duba
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Postby SGarrett » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:17 am

Johnny, you need to be a little more respectful to members of this forum and you'll find that they'll be more respectful to you. Spamming your product and saying things like "are you even drummers?" to a community of drummers is just going to piss people off and make them think you're an arrogant tool. Knock it off or leave. Those are your options.

To you other guys, this really needs to end. Please do see that that happens. You all know that I don't have a problem with disagreements, but constantly busting someone's balls is counter-productive. He seems to know a good amount about electronic drums, maybe he can be tempered into a worthwhile member. We'll never know until we give him a fair chance, provided he calms his happy ass down.

If you just don't like talking to someone, don't talk to them. There are a few people on this forum that I limit my interaction with for this exact reason and the arguments have gone down. Disagreements are good and heated disagreements can sometimes be better. Disrespectful disagreements are just arguments and those do nothing but spread negativity. Attack the idea, not the person.

So ends today's public service announcement. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby johnny nobody » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:30 am

censer this
Last edited by johnny nobody on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The only true electrically manipulated percussion. ELECTRO ACOUSTIC DRUMS can do what no other type can do. Fully controlled feed back and tones unattainable on ANY other kit or module!

johnny nobody
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby drummerduba » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Hahahahahaha brilliant Scott :lol:

Cheers
Duba
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Postby johnny nobody » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:38 am

The only difference to your playing would be improvement. Whatever it takes to get your rudiment/speed/pocket practice will be appreciated by yourself and your band/peeps. I own a td-10 and mesh pads. They are better pads than rubber cause you don't hear a thud every time you stroke em. The feel on mesh is better if they are thick mesh and tight tuned. The td-10 is ok for practice but all the kits sound just like the other box, kind of fabricated lows and punch ect. Not like good samples, just well synthesized. You can find em cheap on ebay.
BASS and DRUMS card in a roland 1080 module are just as handy for practice and recording plus you get all the other sounds not in any drum modules. Also cheap on ebay. I used 1080 bass/drums in the BLUE kit video on youtube. A 2080 in the tama (worlds only ELECTRIC DRUMS vid. The different kits produced a different tone, though the modules were using the same card. Same thing if you use td-10.

johnny nobody
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Davo-London » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi

I have a TD6, which has done me proud for 4 years. I'm considering trading up to the TD12 but think that Roland might replace it soon.

Anyways, I have downloaded 50 well know drummers kits and loaded them onto the TD6 brian and they are great. Of alol the kits Omar Hakim's is my favourite ... if only. Anyway, the sound of these downloads is amazing.

I just need to find the link ... http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

Davo
Davo-London
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Alan_ » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:08 pm

I use a friend's roland v-drum kit, but not the internal sounds. we use it as a midi controller plugged into a computer running ableton live, which is where the sounds come from. I put all manner of sounds on the pads, everything from cut up and non-cut up drum breaks to single hit sounds that cover the gamut from a sample of my 20" bass drum tuned "jazz" style (high, open, single ply head) to any of a number of metal percussion sounds (everything from pots and pans to a gong to a singing bowl) to kittens mewing and other weird oddities.

as far as I'm concerned, if you're just using the sounds in the brain, you're limiting yourself and the power of the instrument to completely blow apart all preconceptions of what playing drums means and what sounds one is capable of.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby ogghead » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:32 pm

I'm with Davo-London: the TD-series *really* benefit from the third-party sound packs by VExpressions Ltd. They aren't samples, just hand-crafted tweakings of the internal Roland MIDI parameters, but they are surprisingly rich and realistic.

I've loaded up my 50 slots on the TD-12 with a mix of the two "50 greatest rock drummers" series, some classic kits, and two Latin sets and a tabla/sitar. Ginger Baker, Gene Krupa, and Dave Grohl's kits all sound very much like the recordings I try to play along with. If you're a Rush fan, you can find a bunch of just Neil Peart's configurations. The Roland stock kit sounds really don't compare.

One of these days I'll have to try external MIDI triggering as Alan discusses. But I can't say enough good things about the VExpressions sounds. (Are there any other vendors besides them who sell Roland sound kits?)
ogghead
beginner
beginner

Previous

Return to Electronic Drum Sets