I'm considering purchasing an electronic drum kit - ADVICE??

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby lexington » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:18 am

Right, I'm currently living with my mum and have no room for my drum kit. It's currently at the practice room where it stays any way. So that's all well and good, it's set up somewhere. No problems there. The problem is, I can only practice once a week, and it doesn't count as practice really, as I'm playing songs with the band. I don't have time to give rudiments or any tech a go.
So i was thinking, why not get an electric drum kit to practice on? But, will it make a difference to my playing? as i can appreciate that electric drum kits are completely different to play to acoustic kits. anyone own one/play one?
lexington
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: I'm considering purchasing an electronic drum kit - ADVICE??

Postby nydubber » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:41 am

I thought it'd be "different" but really when you start going at it, there really isn't anything that would make you say to yourself "you know, I don't feel like playing right now 'cus this just doesn't feel right."

I played a $799 Roland V-Lite at Best Buy last week and was saying to my g/f "I need to get something like this so I can play anytime I want." I had a good little thrash around it and it could definitely stand up to a couple years of abuse.
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_V%20Drum%20Lite%20HD1%20Electronic%20Drum%20Set_-1_10052_10002_-49967809_cmCategorySA182855

Now, it has integrated hi-hat/kick pedals, so that would suck. I'd look into something a little more $$$ (there is a Roland kit for $999 on Samash.com right now that would be something to build/expand upon) that could accomodate a double kick pedal and has room for expansion as far as cymbal pads and upgrading to mesh heads is concerned.
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_V%20Compact%20TD3SW%20Electronic%20Drum%20Set_-1_10052_10002_-49962466_cmCategorySA182855

I say do it. Better now than later. I couldn't play for years due to my living arrangements and I wish I had ponied up and gotten an electric kit instead of letting my chops get all rusty. Don't financially strap yourself to the point you want to leap off a building, but get the best kit you can afford, even if it means working a little OT here and there :)

also, just remembered. Roland has a pretty bad ass rudiment practice electric pad. Comes preprogrammed with lessons and such. Has anything and everything you'd need just to keep your skills/speed/chops up to snuff.
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_RMP5%20Rhythm%20Coach%20Pad_-1_10052_10002_-49988406_cmCategorySA182857

This is interesting to me as well, because I live in an area where I can only play my accoustic set a few times a week at maybe an hour or two (at the very most) in a given time. I'm constantly torn between upgrading and replacing the things I need on my Sonor set and getting a really nice quality electric kit so that I can play more.

Also, I have NO personal experience with any Roland products - they just happen to be the only electric kits I've ever played. From the V-Lite all the way up to their V-Session they seem like they are well crafted products. You get what you pay for, they have the best reputation, so that is what I would buy if I had the money. I hear good things about Yamaha and Hart...but unless someone gave me a top of the line Hart for $1000, I'd say no thanks. A good friend of mine has the mid-range Roland kit and for the past 3 years it has been in constant use with absolutely no hiccups or repairs required of any kind.
Sonor Performer/ZXT Titaniums/DW 9000/Sonor+Pearl Hardware
nydubber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby sam(otacon28) » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:24 pm

I'd highly reccomend looking at Pintech's kits too . The E-gig is a great , affordable kit that is totally upgradable . Cast aluminum shells with mesh heads / that you can even put real heads on if you wanted . Rubber pads are ok , but depending on how much you play it may cause some discomfort at times .

sam(otacon28)
Currently endorsed by Blastech drums & sponsored by Drum Star Wear , Xtreme Drummer , & Music Star Wear musician apparel
sam(otacon28)
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby lexington » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:15 am

Dubber, you are a legend. That has helped an awful lot man. I really appreciate you taking the time out to write all that. :) Thanks man.
lexington
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby lozza23_uk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:19 am

I am working (booo) so I will be brief.

I have the practice pad, first version. It is great for a quick blast on with a cup of tea after work....untill I upgraded to a full kit.

The practice pad is good for rudiments, learning, general stuff. It has an interesting function where you follow the click, then it drops out, see how far out you are! :)

It also has accuracy recording etc.

Now, from an electronic Kit point of view I hummed and harr'd and ended up saving a little longer to get mesh heads (apart from kick). This was essential I found. I bought a Roland TD6. The Brain actually gets little use from me, I midi it straight to PC. But I find the whole higher grade rack and mesh pads muct more friendly when jumping from a real kit to an electronic one. It is good to be able to move the hats, snare etc to suit what you are doing.

It will never be perfect, but I find I get a lot of practice in now that I would have never done before. Taking sloppy parts from band practice and working on them, and writing new parts for new tracks.

Hmm they way I talk I should be a drum god by now! :) in truth, probably about 3-5hours a week on the Roland :)
It is a lot of money, but to be honest if you know you will be getting a lot of play time on the thing it will be worth it!
Whack it into addictive drums or BFD or something similar and you have an already decent sounding midi controlled recording feature at your finger tips!

I hope this is of some help.

Oh, and to answer your final question: Yes I think with the time put in to practice of course your playing will improve. Be it rudiments, full kit, playing along to CDs from totally different genres. Any time put into the thing you enjoy will be rewarding both for you and your playing.

my fav at the moment is putting on bassdrive.com and playing away (once a week :? ), sounds naff and far from live D&B, but every time i get a little faster and find something else I can do :)
lozza23_uk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby yamum28 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:03 am

I think its always good to have an electronic kit - you can play virtually unlimited amounts - they are less of a hassle - don't need to change skins, etc. The top-end stuff like the TD20 is virtually mind-blowing - you can change the virtual 'width' of hi-hats on customisable kits - i hear you can have like 30" hihats - iv been on a td20 but it was ages ago and i didnt understand it enough to fully utilize it... weep :( weep :(

Overall - Electronic Drum Kits - Thumbs Up!
Mapex/Pearl/Paiste/Vater/Remo/LP

Peace...
yamum28
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby johnny nobody » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:50 am

EVEN if you have to be extremely quiet ELECTRIC DRUMS are the best. CAUSE when you want to be heard you won't sound like your still a recording.
Worlds Only ELECTRIC DRUMS

The only true electrically manipulated percussion. ELECTRO ACOUSTIC DRUMS can do what no other type can do. Fully controlled feed back and tones unattainable on ANY other kit or module!

www.youtube.com/electricdrums
johnny nobody
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby nydubber » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:45 am

:roll:
Sonor Performer/ZXT Titaniums/DW 9000/Sonor+Pearl Hardware
nydubber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby syntaxerror » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:39 am

I was in the same situation as you, I was only able to practice with my band once a week and did not have room for my kit at home. So I thought about an electronic kit for ages. I tried and tested various brands (mainly Roland and Yamaha) and models, but as most people didnt have the money, so I saved up and used some of my student loan to get the Roland TD-9kx and its the best investment I've ever made I make good use of the editing functions of the kit. The TD-3 is also very good. The thing I always say is just try everything and see what you like best.
If you stick to one thing, you'll only acheive one thing!!
syntaxerror
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby blastbeats666 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:28 pm

god johnny nobody, seriously... :roll:

he wants some that sounds good btw
screw you mike
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Postby metldrummer2112 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:20 pm

blastbeats666 wrote:god johnny nobody, seriously... :roll:

+100 for burning mr nobody!
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Postby johnny nobody » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:37 pm

I own a td-10 and mesh pads. They are better pads than rubber cause you don't hear a thud everytime you stroke em. The feel on mesh is better if they are thick mesh and tight tuned. The td-10 is ok for practice but all the kits sound just like the other box, kind of fabricated lows and punch ect. Not like good samples, just well synthesized. You can find em cheap on ebay.
BASS and DRUMS card in a roland 1080 module are just as handy for practice and recording plus you get all the other sounds not in any drum modules. Also cheap on ebay. I used 1080 bass/drums in the BLUE kit video on youtube. A 2080 in the tama (worlds only ELECTRIC DRUMS vid. The different kits produced a different tone, though the modules were using the same card. Same thing if you use td-10.

The only true electrically manipulated percussion. ELECTRO ACOUSTIC DRUMS can do what no other type can do. Fully controlled feed back and tones unattainable on ANY other kit or module!

johnny nobody
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby drummerduba » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:07 pm

metldrummer2112 wrote:

Someone beat me to it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Duba
Silverfox Drumsticks UK Artist
Soultone Cymbals UK Artist
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Postby blastbeats666 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:38 pm

drummerduba wrote:
metldrummer2112 wrote:

Someone beat me to it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Duba

my bad duba, I know your awesome! 8)
screw you mike
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Postby johnny nobody » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:48 am

Do you guys play drums? I can't seem to find any of your work on any of your sites mr. dummadrumma. This guy wants to know a little about electronic pads, not hero fads.

johnny nobody
drumming adept
drumming adept

Next

Return to Electronic Drum Sets