Hi-hat question about new DTXpress IV V2

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Chuck1958 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Got my new DTXpress IV V2 today. Went together fairly easily despite the horrible instructions included by Yamaha. Only problem I have thus far is the hi-hat. It plays when I strike it but I can't seem to get any sound when using the foot pedal. It came with the RHH135 HH and the HS650A HH stand/pedal. I have the HH cable and the HH control cables going to where they should be. Checked it twice. What am I missing?

Yes, I'm a noob.

Thanks in advance.
Yamaha DTXpress IV V2
Chuck1958
new
new

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Hi-hat question about new DTXpress IV V2

Postby sam(otacon28) » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:54 am

Just a few things that come to mind . Did you check to see if the pedal function is registering on the drum module as a seperate hit when pressing the pedal on the hi-hat stand ? Also don't take for granted that the module has the sound sample allready assigned for the pedal function , check to make sure that it has a seperate sound selected for it . I have a few times on my DTX 2.0 module had an open hats sound for both the foot pedal and a cymbal hit itself set for both functions so there wasn't a noticable difference . Also I know in Yamaha modules especially there's the ability to turn off specific trigger inputs ( this is more for midi and sampling purposes ) but you may want make sure that all of the hihat features are on and have the respective sounds assigned to them .

I do know that people have mentioned that you should have the Yamaha logo on the hihat facing toward you too , so I'm not sure if this sets an alignment for the hi hat pedal functions feature or not , but it might be worth checking out .

sam(otacon28)
Currently endorsed by Blastech drums & sponsored by Drum Star Wear , Xtreme Drummer , & Music Star Wear musician apparel
sam(otacon28)
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Chuck1958 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Just so I know I'm not crazy here... there is a cable labeled "HH CON". I have one end of it plugged into the DTX module into the jack marked "HI HAT CONTROL". The other end of that cable is plugged into the RHH135 into the jack labeled "HI-HAT CONTROL". There is a separate cable labeled "HI HAT" and I have that plugged into the "HI HAT" jack on the DTX and into the "PAD" jack on the RHH135. I'm 99.9% sure that has to be right.

I'll check the module settings like you suggested. Again the manual leaves a lot to be desired but I'll see if I can figure it out...
Yamaha DTXpress IV V2
Chuck1958
new
new

Postby sam(otacon28) » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:02 pm

Yep I'd definately say that it sounds like the cables are hooked up correctly . I'd check to make sure that the sounds within the drum module are selected accordingly and that the hihat pedal is registering it's own signal when pressed . You should be able to see this information while on the trigger function of the module . Also I'm not sure if you have come acrossed these Yamaha forums but there's quite a bit of e-drummers on there and they have alot of good tips and tricks for various Yamaha electronic kits .

This one is actually a very good resource for DTX, DTXtreme , & Dtxpress players , because pretty much all of the topics are pertaining to the DTX series kits and features .

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/DT ... roup&slk=6

There's also this one too .

http://www.dtxperience.com/forums/postl ... DTXpressIV

sam(otacon28)
Currently endorsed by Blastech drums & sponsored by Drum Star Wear , Xtreme Drummer , & Music Star Wear musician apparel
sam(otacon28)
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Chuck1958 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks Sam!
Yamaha DTXpress IV V2
Chuck1958
new
new

Postby sam(otacon28) » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:50 pm

8) No Problem , sorry I couldn't be any more helpful . I'll rack my brain a little and see if there's anything else I can think of .

sam(otacon28)
sam(otacon28)
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Chuck1958 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:54 am

I finally got it working. I had to tear the stand all apart... found the shaft wasn't set properly. It's all good now. :D
Yamaha DTXpress IV V2
Chuck1958
new
new

Postby sam(otacon28) » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:48 pm

Glad to hear you got it worked out . Now time to have some fun jammin' on that kit .

sam(otacon28)
sam(otacon28)
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Electronic Drum Sets