Pedals and the neighbors

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Pedals and the neighbors

Postby hermeschris » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:54 pm

I was thinking about buying some E/V-drums. I am a beginner (though I play some other instruments). Also, I am living in an apartment and will mostly play at night (22h-open end). Therefore I am interested in silent drums.
Often I heard that the HD-1 is very silent - especially the pedals. I am a bit insecure cause the TD-3 seems to have better pedals, but they are louder (so I was told). Do you guys think that the TD-3 is too loud for the neighbors? Or would you recommend me the HD-1 ... or something completely different?
Another issue is "sounds": once I learn some basics I'd like to play also some jazz-drums. Is the HD-1 up for it (at least for a beginner like me)?
Sorry for the high newbie-factor of my post ... but would be great if you could give me some advices! :)
Thanks a lot!
hermeschris
new
new

Pedals and the neighbors

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby SGarrett » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:42 pm

While the drums themselves might be significantly quieter, your neighbors may well hear the tapping and thud of the pedal through the floor.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby Eleven22 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:44 am

Tapping is not that loud, td 3 would be fine. even if you are slaming down on them it's not that loud. If you can get mesh heads it would be quiter. get some good headphones.
Mapex drums
instanbul
Roland V-drums
Hand percussionist
Eleven22
beginner
beginner

Postby SGarrett » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:08 am

My old neighbor, in a house that was 20' away, call the cops while I was practicing with mesh heads covered in SoundOff pads. Now why is that? Because they were still audible. I don't think you have any idea just how loud drums actually are. A hard rimshot can easily reach 125db and continuous db stays well above 90db.

There's no point in buying drums, acoustic or electric, if you're just going to tap on them.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby torkid47 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:47 am

First, do you live in a ground floor or upstairs apartment? :arrow: This makes a BIG difference.

Second, tapping is a very good thing. Any monkey can bash at a drum.
It takes practice to play a drum softly. If the neighbors are a true concern then let them be your reminder that a great drummer should to be able to play softly before they can play hard.
DYNAMICS-USING THE DRUMS ENTIRE RANGE!
*************************************** :idea:
Some people have talent, I just practice every day.

torkid47
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby SGarrett » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:07 am

I don't recall saying anything about "bashing" or playing at a high volume. To me, "tapping" on drums is when you're playing without confidence and are trying to play as quietly as possible so no one can hear. That is world's away from dynamic control, which is important for any musician to learn regardless of instrument. But thanks for the "lesson". :)

Yes, I know that's different than the "tap" in a Flam Tap. This is the difference between theory and practical application.
SGarrett

Postby b b253 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:18 am

SGarrett wrote:
There's no point in buying drums, acoustic or electric, if you're just going to tap on them.

bingo!!
Pulse double bass kit
Mapex M birch 5 peice kit
Mapex steel 10 by 5.5 side snare
Sabian xs20 cymbals
Zildjian Avedis
Tama hardware
Remo heads
Regal tip =)
http://www.myspace.com/thedrummerboyoftheworld
b b253
groove master
groove master

Postby DJdrummer » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:08 pm

I have my drums setup on the fifth floor of our house (Taiwan houses are always skinny and tall) but my family claims they can still hear the boom boom boom of the bass pedal (I have an electric drum set) on the 1ST FLOOR!!! I've tried all kinds of ways to make it quieter (a.k.a. floor mats, stools, ans even pillows) but nothing makes a difference. :? (am I using parentheses too much?)
DJdrummer
new
new

Postby PDP9000 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:52 pm

wouldnt the they still hear the thump of the pedal?
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Re: Pedals and the neighbors

Postby MasterShake89 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:11 pm

I was in the dorms last year playing on my digital kit, and i almost got into fist fights with my downstairs neighbors over the "tapping" noises that resonate throughout the structure of the building that originate from the pedals. i was in the bottom left of the bulding and people in the top right could feel or hear the tapping in the top right of a 3 story building.
MasterShake89
session drummer
session drummer

Re:

Postby bass-ackwards » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:31 pm

DJdrummer wrote:I have my drums setup on the fifth floor of our house (Taiwan houses are always skinny and tall) but my family claims they can still hear the boom boom boom of the bass pedal (I have an electric drum set) on the 1ST FLOOR!!! I've tried all kinds of ways to make it quieter (a.k.a. floor mats, stools, ans even pillows) but nothing makes a difference. :? (am I using parentheses too much?)

How thin are the ceilings that they can hear them 4 stories down?

And your english is very good. if you want to use fewer brackes you could structure the sentance like this:

"I have my electric drums set up on the fifth floor of my house. Most houses here are tall and skinny yet my family claims they can here the bass pedal on the first floor. I have tried everything to make them quieter; floor mats stools and even pillows yet nothing makes a difference."

Just how i would do it, but there is nothing wrong with brackets

Brother_Bong wrote:You are number one so that makes everyone else number two. Like poop.
bass-ackwards
drumming adept
drumming adept

Re: Pedals and the neighbors

Postby DRUMSMYWIFE » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:08 pm

If you live on the second or more, yeah that could be a problem for below neighbors. Mesh heads is the only way.
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master

Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Return to Electronic Drum Sets