tips for learning a song

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
kylevater
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:33 am
Location: key west, fl

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:03 am

ok so far i havent learned any songs on drums, but i am now and its about 60% complete
whats good to know for learning songs?
what i do is lisetn to the song over and over again until its in my head and i can determine every part when it comes up

and if youre wondering the song im learning is the fine and subtle art of deception by killwhitneydead
its pretty fun
It's challenging you: Image
User avatar
tapeworm97
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: El Paso, TECHSUS

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:43 pm

kylevater wrote:ok so far i havent learned any songs on drums, but i am now and its about 60% complete
whats good to know for learning songs?
what i do is lisetn to the song over and over again until its in my head and i can determine every part when it comes up

and if youre wondering the song im learning is the fine and subtle art of deception by killwhitneydead
its pretty fun


well listen to everything on the drums which includes cymbals, pedals and drums. listen to it over and over till it gets recorded into your mind and you know the song by heart. next thing you know youll be able to play the song on the back of your head
cableman26
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 937
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:47 pm

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:48 pm

Hey Kyleeee
Listen to the song in parts, maybe 10 or 15 seconds long. Learn each part indivisually, then put them all together dude and you got a song.
Image
SGarrett
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:52 pm

There was a really good topic about this in General Discussion.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
cableman26
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 937
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:47 pm

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:54 pm

SGarrett wrote:There was a really good topic about this in General Discussion.


lol we're talking about kyle here Garrett he never ventures out of off topic :D
Image
User avatar
kylevater
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:33 am
Location: key west, fl

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:51 am

cableman26 wrote:
SGarrett wrote:There was a really good topic about this in General Discussion.


lol we're talking about kyle here Garrett he never ventures out of off topic :D


could i get a link?
i gotta go to school soon haha
It's challenging you: Image
User avatar
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1318
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:01 am
Location: PA

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:04 am

kylevater wrote:
cableman26 wrote:
SGarrett wrote:There was a really good topic about this in General Discussion.


lol we're talking about kyle here Garrett he never ventures out of off topic :D


could i get a link?
i gotta go to school soon haha


<a href="http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php">TRY THIS</a>
stephenchong
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:11 am
Location: Singapore

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:34 am

Wow, never heard of it. I think i'll go download it now or smth. =p

Well, i just listen to the song every single day. Like, the first song i'll listen to when i plug in my earpiece. And i'll hear it like at least a hundred times to make sure i understand every beat in detail in that song. Oh, and change your equaliser. Set it to treble boost or something like that. Meaning, the drums will be the loudest and most obvious compared to the bass, guitar, vocals, etc.
Where do we run, when things that we cherish disappear right before our eyes ?
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:58 am

Are we talking about learning a song note-for-note, or learning the structure?

I come from a background of written music, so I would transcribe songs (write them down as written music on staff paper) if I wanted to learn them note-for-note. Even if you're not writing it down, I would imagine the process would be similar. listen to the song in small pieces over and over and over again. really try to analyze what notes are being played on the drums. Also, pay attention to what everybody else is doing and how the drummer responds (why he/she changes from hi-hat to ride for a different section for example). Observe how the drum part "lays" with the rest of the instruments. Learn the song structure.