Band Help, Band Names etc. HELP PLEASE

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

DrummerZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:26 am

I really wanna form a band this year. I am REALLY thirsty for some good metal.
I haven't yet gotten... any... members but there is a bunch of new kids this year.

I wanna play stuff like:

System of a Down
Parkway Drive
Marilyn Manson
Killswitch Engage
Slipknot
Cradle of Filth

You know... A screaming/squealing catchy death/black metal band with lots of double bass and stuff. And sort of Goth.
I know that the bands play very different styles of metal, but mixing it may cause a new monster of destruction.

Suggested Band Names:
Choose your favourite and repost please...

Divine Darkness
Bright Colours like Black
Silent Scream
Perpetual Insanity
Strait Jacket
Serpentine
My Darker Side
Blacksphemy
Death with a Bass-Line
In the Hands of Annihilation
Nightmare in Shining Armour
Darkfist
Llama (just kidding)

Questions:

1 - Are two guitars a good idea?

2 - Start jamming to covers then start to write own material?

3 - Should I let my girlfriend be a guitarist? (good or bad idea...?)

Please help. Support this> \,,/ :twisted:

[/i]
I'M BACK!!!

Who cares. :D
percussle
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 am

DrummerZ wrote:I really wanna form a band this year. I am REALLY thirsty for some good metal.
I haven't yet gotten... any... members but there is a bunch of new kids this year.

I wanna play stuff like:

System of a Down
Parkway Drive
Marilyn Manson
Killswitch Engage
Slipknot
Cradle of Filth

You know... A screaming/squealing catchy death/black metal band with lots of double bass and stuff. And sort of Goth.
I know that the bands play very different styles of metal, but mixing it may cause a new monster of destruction.

Suggested Band Names:

Divine Darkness
Silent Scream
Perpetual Insanity
Strait Jacket
Serpentine
My Darker Side
Blacksphemy
Death with a Bass-Line
Darkfist
Llama (just kidding)

Questions:

[/i]

play whatever the hell you want dude.

ask your band members/ get a group of instrumentalists first and come into agreeance with them. it won't just be your band later down the road if people were to join.

1. Yes. unless you have an awesome bassist :P

2. covers are just as important as rudiments i say. do both. you'll know when writing is right for you. feel comfortable first learn rudiments and play to some tracks you like if thats all the resources you have. books help too.

3. about the girfriend and guitar thing. well that might sound like a good idea now. but things could turn ugly. its worth a try though. a band has there disagreements remember. you'll be with her an awful lot (if you guys want it as much as each other). you'll be with her jam sessions/"quality time sessions" ha ha etc. etc. i say give it a go man. and if its ugly for a few practices call it quits. depending how much you dig her, don't wanna cause a failure in the relationship. (the relationship wont last forever keep in mind) at your age. well im assuming your kinda young?
Gretsch, Zildjian, Axis, Gibraltar.

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications."

http://www.myspace.com/metal_in_entropy
stephenchong
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:03 am

DrummerZ wrote:I really wanna form a band this year. I am REALLY thirsty for some good metal.

I wanna play stuff like:

System of a Down
Parkway Drive
Marilyn Manson
Killswitch Engage
Slipknot
Cradle of Filth

Suggested Band Names:

Divine Darkness
Silent Scream
Perpetual Insanity
Strait Jacket
Serpentine
My Darker Side
Blacksphemy
Death with a Bass-Line
Darkfist
Llama (just kidding)

Questions:

[/i]

Well, i had some trouble thinking of my band name also last time. Well, i have chosen my band name and i have left over ideas of names. So i'm gonna pour some to you here.
Malice of darkness, Bleeding affliction, Skeletons in the closet, Something original.
Old school junkies. :lol:
I suppose you should get covers to practice instumenting and vocals first ? Get a hang of things first, then go into your stuff. Its good in a way to get your girlfriend. Could show some love on stage you know. :D
Rock on ! \m/ !
Where do we run, when things that we cherish disappear right before our eyes ?
DrummerZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:52 am

percussle wrote:

I wanna play stuff like:

System of a Down
Parkway Drive
Marilyn Manson
Killswitch Engage
Slipknot
Cradle of Filth

Suggested Band Names:

Divine Darkness
Silent Scream
Perpetual Insanity
Strait Jacket
Serpentine
My Darker Side
Blacksphemy
Death with a Bass-Line
Darkfist
Llama (just kidding)

Questions:

[/i]

ask your band members/ get a group of instrumentalists first and come into agreeance with them. it won't just be your band later down the road if people were to join.

2. covers are just as important as rudiments i say. do both. you'll know when writing is right for you. feel comfortable first learn rudiments and play to some tracks you like if thats all the resources you have. books help too.

3. about the girfriend and guitar thing. well that might sound like a good idea now. but things could turn ugly. its worth a try though. a band has there disagreements remember. you'll be with her an awful lot (if you guys want it as much as each other). you'll be with her jam sessions/"quality time sessions" ha ha etc. etc. i say give it a go man. and if its ugly for a few practices call it quits. depending how much you dig her, don't wanna cause a failure in the relationship. (the relationship wont last forever keep in mind) at your age. well im assuming your kinda young?

Yeah thats what I was worried about. I just don't really wanna fuck things up with her. I've done it before but we've gotten back. And yeah, we're young. I'm just 13, so's she. 14 soon.
IWe're always looking for stuff to do with each other. Its always a swim or a movie, so that can get boring. We'll see what happens.

Cheers for that mate
I'M BACK!!!

percussle
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:02 am

no probs dude.
Gretsch, Zildjian, Axis, Gibraltar.

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications."

http://www.myspace.com/metal_in_entropy
jmanhughes
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:51 pm

go here and hit refresh for more names
http://www.elsewhere.org/bandname/
PDP MXR and Meinl Byzance
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:37 pm

I like in the hands of annihilation.

1.yes. one could play rythym and one could play lead. also it depends, because in most metal you don't hear bass.
2.yes.
3.maybe. Just don't F### it up.
Oh, and on the girlfriend thing, you are lucky you have one. My last girlfriend dumped me the minute our school's basketball star walked in......Bitch.
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
shanemunzert
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:01 pm

members are probably most important part so yea.
I would check a lot of those band names cuz some of em are taken.
1.If you play metal than absolutely.
2.Great way to start off with a band, get in a groove with other band members.
3.BAD Idea, will start way to much shit with your band not good.
Sorry if I repearted anything don't feel like reading all the other posts.
DrummerZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:37 pm

haha.
Which names are taken??? And how would I check them? MySpace?

Oh yeah, Drumosaurus... I'm sorry to hear that... I prefer finding girls who like you for who you are, not what you do or how you look. They aren't exactly everywhere.
Good luck with later on.

Cheers guys.
I'M BACK!!!

okjohne
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:39 pm

DrummerZ wrote:
percussle wrote:

I wanna play stuff like:

System of a Down
Parkway Drive
Marilyn Manson
Killswitch Engage
Slipknot
Cradle of Filth

Suggested Band Names:

Divine Darkness
Silent Scream
Perpetual Insanity
Strait Jacket
Serpentine
My Darker Side
Blacksphemy
Death with a Bass-Line
Darkfist
Llama (just kidding)

Questions:

[/i]

Yeah thats what I was worried about. I just don't really wanna fuck things up with her. I've done it before but we've gotten back. And yeah, we're young. I'm just 13, so's she. 14 soon.
IWe're always looking for stuff to do with each other. Its always a swim or a movie, so that can get boring. We'll see what happens.

Cheers for that mate

"I'm just 13, so's she. 14 soon." Good point. Don't worry about her she is about 1o-1o,ooo girl friends from the one you might marry.
DrummerZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:31 pm

Alright.. Its just shes sort of into the same music as me, SOAD, Parkway and stuff like that... But she plays guitar and I literally know or know of no one else who plays guitar.
I;m just desperate for a guitarist. If I was in a band, I''d just go with alot of shit... You know. We most likely wouldn't preform just jam with each other, maybe at mates partys and stuff.
I understand that having her could be a bad idea.

Cheers for that though.
I'M BACK!!!

Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:55 pm

DrummerZ wrote:Alright.. Its just shes sort of into the same music as me, SOAD, Parkway and stuff like that... But she plays guitar and I literally know or know of no one else who plays guitar.
I;m just desperate for a guitarist. If I was in a band, I''d just go with alot of shit... You know. We most likely wouldn't preform just jam with each other, maybe at mates partys and stuff.
I understand that having her could be a bad idea.

Cheers for that though.

if all you're doin is jammin then i dont see any problem with it. write it off as "spending time together". if i could find a girlfriend willing to JAM IT with me then I'd probably marry her, but never join a band with her.
king_friday
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:40 pm

i played with a band called straight jacket...so i would stay away from that one.
Charlie
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:33 pm

I think it's time for metal bands to get creative. go against the flow. instead of angry statements how about questions...
I like 'what's your name?' or 'hoobawhat?' or my fav 'what, what??' you know, like you can't hear because it's so loud.
I'll shut up now. I think I am too old for the metal. Although Anthrax is a great name even before the post 911 scare.

I like controversy. how about binladenicca? :twisted:
www.jesusgrocery.com

www.myspace.com/drumczarcoolband