American troops.

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

Timekeep69

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:22 am

Contrary to popular belief, Osama bin Laden was never on the CIA's payroll. He has never worked with or for the US. It's funny how people mention the US involvement in Afghanistan during the 80's and say that it's our fault over the power vacuum that occured after the USSR was driven out yet no one wants to blame the Soviets for invading in the first place.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:40 am

Osama bin Laden was never directly on the CIA's payroll, correct. Salem bin Laden is the head of his family's construction biz.

al Quaeda and the Taliban did benefit from all the aid and weapons we poured into Afghanistan. the afghan/russian war was in many ways the incubator for what happened with militant islam in the 20+years since.

I agree with you that many folks never really address the russians' role in starting the fuse.
gaianbeatnik
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Alan_ wrote:Osama bin Laden was never directly on the CIA's payroll, correct. Salem bin Laden is the head of his family's construction biz.

al Quaeda and the Taliban did benefit from all the aid and weapons we poured into Afghanistan. the afghan/russian war was in many ways the incubator for what happened with militant islam in the 20+years since.

I agree with you that many folks never really address the russians' role in starting the fuse.

OBL wasn't on the CIA payroll... but saddam hussein was. fact.
much of the current situation in the middle east can be directly attributed to the post- WWII actions of winston churchill and harry truman... that whole cold war thing, the tyranny of the military industrial complex...

how it started isn't as important as how it will end, imho, and it can only end when we stop making the same mistakes.
Binkx
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:15 pm

Well I live 45 minutes from Detroit Michigan in southern Canada. Now call me a fat Naive Canadian or whatever you want because some bodies opinions who I will never met mean a pitch of coon crap in hell for all I care. My family sleeps at night safely because some US and Canadian service personal are fighting for our democracy and freedom. When the U.S, Is free Canada is free. There is more at stake here then some here would like to admit. And no it is not lining Dick Chaney's pockets with blood money. I have a neighbor who came right from Iraq. He told me from first hand accounts what happened there. how his uncles family was fed through shredders feet first, how people were dragged away for re-education because they dare utter a word against Hussein. There was even worse but I will not mention it here.

This thread was started with Honor. It was to thank those who sacrificed so much so we don't have to. I will adhere to that sprit. Thanks to all who served, are serving and will serve. I owe you all a debt of gratitude. Your sacrifice was not in vain, my kids say their prayers every night and mention the soldiers and pray that they are safe. Now the cops and the firemen are heros too. I know being an ex biker that every time I gave the cops attitude, I got it back. Every time I gave cooperation and respect, I got that back too. Not all cops are good, but then again not all Bikers are bad. It is not a job I would want to have, but thank God they are there when I need them!

Now there is an area we are forgetting and Yesterday it really hit home. A Canadian solider in Afghanistan lost his life in the line of duty. He was killed with some sort of bomb. His wife is expecting their first child any day now. And she is having to bury her husband. At a time that should be filled with happiness, sadness is there. To all the Families of those serving, I thank you also for your sacrifice.
stump

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:02 pm

And this thread shall continue with Honor. Peace on ya!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:15 pm

Timekeep69 wrote: It's funny how people mention the US involvement in Afghanistan during the 80's and say that it's our fault over the power vacuum that occured after the USSR was driven out yet no one wants to blame the Soviets for invading in the first place.

On another politically charged note, it's funny to me how many people invoke the name of Ronald Reagan and forget that he was pro amnesty.....
yee freakin' haw
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:19 am

I have friends in the US Marines and in the Army. My father and both my grandfathers were in the Irish Republican Army.

I have the utmost respect for soldiers, regardless of the reasons behind the war being waged. To join the armed forces takes serious balls and an invincible level of commitment. Friends of mine stationed in the Middle East, and the people that they serve with, are carrying our country on their shoulders and they deserve all of our respect and support.
I'm a pacifist. I'm an objector to the war in Iraq and I am anti-war in just about every sense of the term. But I still have nothing but admiration for people in the armed forces.
For people that have the tar to dishonor the troops because they disagree with the conflict, I just have no respect. People need to see through the smoke and mirrors and realize that once someone becomes a soldier, they have no choice but to fight.

I'll quote my buddy Terry Braddock (KIA in 2004 in Al Anbar), "I joined to be a soldier, not a murderer. Killing isn't my thing. But if my country needs me, you bet your ass I'll be there."
Beat on.
screamkevin

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:19 am

<----- US Navy, 1985 - 1991, Persian Gulf War vet, USS Flatley (FFG-21) USS Morrison (FFG-13), EODMU-6 Detachment Charleston.

Thanks to all veterans past and present for your service. It's much appreciated.

And quit the political bickering. This ain't the place for it. Start a political fight thread or something.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
The "D" man
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:10 pm

Call me Gideon wrote:I tell ya what...I served 4 years in the Army and sat at Ft. Bragg for 4 years. No deployments, other than training, but it is an incredible feeling when someone you've never laid eyes on before comes up to you and thanks you for what you're doing. Thanks for the post dbk. :)

3/504 PIR 91-93

when were you there?
Timekeep69

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:14 pm

US Navy, 1988-1991, VAW-117, USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72).

I was on the Lincoln's maiden WESPAC.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:47 am

The "D" man wrote:
Call me Gideon wrote:I tell ya what...I served 4 years in the Army and sat at Ft. Bragg for 4 years. No deployments, other than training, but it is an incredible feeling when someone you've never laid eyes on before comes up to you and thanks you for what you're doing. Thanks for the post dbk. :)

3/504 PIR 91-93

when were you there?

D Co 51st Sig Bn. 35th Sig Brigade June 1996-Nov 1999.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox