Rock Band

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:38 am

i know a group of kids that started a band because of gh and rock band. they had no clue what was going on or how things actually work. they always saw us playing locally and things like that and thought, well, how hard could it be? even though our band has years of experience in what we do...

i remember just a couple of days ago, (im still in school and this week was a blow off week), so i took my epiphone SG and a small fender amp to mess around with in band, (SG has a custom finish and pickups, and i payed a pretty penny for it)

one kid walked up and said "Oh man I thought that was a gibson!" and walked away looking disappointed. it made me pretty mad considering i remember watching him play GH with his little "plastic gibson" with 4 buttons and he wasnt the greatest at it. it brings down what people think of music.

when an 8 year old plays a Zakk Wylde solo and only has to push 4 buttons and only 1/5 of what actually was played, they look down on guitar players that are great, and think that they are rock gods or something.
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
drummer912
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:18 pm

Hack_and_Slash wrote:I don't know, I played danni california on expert 1st try and I did good but I still felt like it wasn't on point.

yea there are a few differences, like instead of doing a hi hat splash on the yellow pad u do it on the blue, but you still hit almost all of the same beats as the real song.
DW drums and hardware
Sabian, Paiste and, of course, SALUDA cymbals
Aquarian drum heads
king_friday
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:53 pm

the timing is always off for me....im playing with the song...and im playing what is supposed to be played...but i still fail.
i mean, i can do a lot of them, say it aint so on expert i can get like 96% or so, and random other ones, but its just weird.
EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:43 pm

pretty much that game is killing music
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
Binkx
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:48 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:
racefan33 wrote:
Gabimo wrote:its going to make music seem low, and in the future less music will be put out!!! its the downfall of society, like the internet, or television

The internet, television and Rock Band are tools to HELP society evolve out of the dark ages.

I disagree, it's because of the interenet and television that people are obese and lazy. When I was a kid, we played outside and made believe we were army guys or mideval knights, now kids play WoW and get no exercise whatsoever and they don't have to use their imaginations and creativity to play. They just sit there in front of their TV's and computers with their junk food and Mountain Dew for hours/days at a time.

Leave me out of this! :D :lol:
Hack_and_Slash
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 pm

I just hope retards don't try to show me up on real drums just because they beat Rockband on expert.
drummer912
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:50 pm

Hack_and_Slash wrote:I just hope retards don't try to show me up on real drums just because they beat Rockband on expert.

lol if they can beat it on expert than i hope they could play for real.
DW drums and hardware
Sabian, Paiste and, of course, SALUDA cymbals
Aquarian drum heads
llllarry
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:24 pm

I think this game has its ups and downs drum-wise.

Positive: Many kids will like the drumming part of the game and may actually want to learn how to play the real drums.

Negative: Many of those kids will get cocky and think they are amazing at the real drums. Then they realize they aren't.
kylevater
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:44 pm

to the people that say that rock band isnt playing with the music,
first off, i havent played it, this is just a thought
are you sure that your tv needs to be calibrated for the lagging of it? like with guitar hero?
It's challenging you: Image
llllarry
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:09 pm

kylevater wrote:are you sure that your tv needs to be calibrated for the lagging of it? like with guitar hero?

I just got it today and there is an option to calibrate the instrument.
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:46 pm

racefan33 wrote:
Gabimo wrote:its going to make music seem low, and in the future less music will be put out!!! its the downfall of society, like the internet, or television

The internet, television and Rock Band are tools to HELP society evolve out of the dark ages.

The downfall of society is greed and people willingness to compromise the quality of things put on the internet and television to make more money.

Rock band will only expose more people to the fun of being a musician and hopefully drive them to want to do it for real. It does nothing but teach someone to work for a goal. How they apply that to thier life is thier own decision.

I'm pretty sure that the song selection won't promote ANY of that.

The piss poor track list was the major turn-off for me, almost no creativity whatsoever is presented in that game.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
Hack_and_Slash
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:35 am

I don't know, I played the game for a few hours at home now. I just don't like it at all. I thought it would be something that at least occupies that late night urge of playing drums.
kylevater
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:56 pm

i sang on it like a week ago, and my throat is still sore
It's challenging you: Image
SocKeT
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:20 pm

I played it the other day and i was disappointed. I thought the drums were freakin hard, it almost give me a seizure lol
Nick Cetrone
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:33 am

So many opinions so little time.

chronologically. i think this post is fine here..the section is called off topic. so beyond anything goes the wrong place would be even more appropriate.

next, i have not played rock band or seen it in person yet, but i like the fact of drumming being incorporated and heres why

im a drummer that also plays a lot of guitar. out of my gaming friends i end up doing my fair share of guitar hero fo' shredding.

now of coarse you don't get the full effect...[RedOctane] is not going to make a VIDEO GAME controller with (22x6) 136 buttons on it to represent the frets of a guitar. (although they could have been creative enough with th software to make an open note !) theres 5 buttons cause its basic. from my stand point i believe trying to do they best you can on a song repeatedly over time is good practice. it improves hand eye coordination, sight reading, strumming stability, finger positioning, and gives you a chance to play to a solid beat.

with the right outlook the "video game" is an exercise.

for those of you who don't know the amount of notes on the screen depends on the difficultly that you pick. thus Expert is a much closer (but not exact) representation of the amount / placement of the notes for a real performer.

i may look at rock band the same way eventually.

until then. practice how ever you can. on your lap, on your practice pad, your video game, and maybe even your instrument... :P
myspace.com/dimaura
myspace.com/nickcetrone