travis barker

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

king_friday
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:04 pm

DrumFiend0206 wrote:He has some timing issues, and tries disguising them with triplets live. I agree that I don't like how a lot of drummers try to emulate him, and bash the living hell out of their cymbals....it bothers me haha.

yeah, because hes the only drummer in the world that hits his cymbals hard right?
SGarrett

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:07 pm

BillRayDrums wrote:Anyone who sells themselves to the concept of becoming a "rock star" to the point of permanently scarring themselves with as many tattoos as he has gets a free pass. Oh and the boy can play too. He ain't Vinnie Colaiuta by any means but for what he does and as much inspiration as he has passed onto the younger set, more power to him.

Great points.

drummer912 wrote:
SGarrett wrote:Maybe you guys were watching a different video than me, but I saw and heard a lot of skill in that playing. I also saw the kind of playing that lets the kids in the back of the crowd see you. Ever watch how animated Tommy Lee is?

I'm honestly amazed at how drummers judge each other. "If he isn't playing intricate 64th note patterns at every available opportunity, he sucks!" Just like Trav needing to get over himself, a lot of you guys need to get over yourselves.

i agree. he actually is a pretty talented drummer. Most of his song have really good beats that aren't too simple or too complicated. I have never seen him live, so I can't say how good he is in reality.

I worked a Blink show a few years ago and his playing was very impressive. He over plays even more live, but his playing's at least clean.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
DrumFiend0206
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:55 pm

king_friday wrote:
DrumFiend0206 wrote:He has some timing issues, and tries disguising them with triplets live. I agree that I don't like how a lot of drummers try to emulate him, and bash the living hell out of their cymbals....it bothers me haha.

yeah, because hes the only drummer in the world that hits his cymbals hard right?

I never said that. I don't doubt the fact that other rock drummers bash the hell out of their cymbals, but what I did say, is that it annoys me that kids bash the hell out of their cymbals trying to emulate him. Then most of them wonder why they break their cymbals. If you can afford to beat the living crap out of your cymbals, by all means, go for it. But I can't, so I learned the proper technique for longer cymbal life. Again, I didn't say he was the only one, I just said that I don't like how a lot of drummers emulate him and bash their cymbals to death.
SGarrett

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:30 pm

DrumFiend0206 wrote:
king_friday wrote:

I never said that. I don't doubt the fact that other rock drummers bash the hell out of their cymbals, but what I did say, is that it annoys me that kids bash the hell out of their cymbals trying to emulate him. Then most of them wonder why they break their cymbals. If you can afford to beat the living crap out of your cymbals, by all means, go for it. But I can't, so I learned the proper technique for longer cymbal life. Again, I didn't say he was the only one, I just said that I don't like how a lot of drummers emulate him and bash their cymbals to death.

So, you don't like that he's widely successful and influential simply because you play differently?
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SocKeT
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:33 pm

I have never understood how people say he sucks, i must suck real bad because i have always found alot of his stuff especially with blink 182 a little challenging, his overplaying adds alot to it but still fits the song and when i do learn something of his it really helps my playing. maybe its more of his style i have a hard time with.
DrumFiend0206
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:57 pm

SGarrett wrote:
DrumFiend0206 wrote:
king_friday wrote:

So, you don't like that he's widely successful and influential simply because you play differently?

By all means, let him have his success lol. I'm definitely not one for keeping others down or being jealous lol. In my personal opinion, I just think that he's teaching a lot of younger drummers to use bad technique for their cymbals.

I love his drumming, I think he's creative, and really good at what he does. Hell, I wish that I was that good lol. Like I said before, just in my opinion, he doesn't have good cymbal technique, and the waves and waves of kids that worship him as the greatest drummer ever are only going to end up breaking cymbals in the long run.

Once again just so everyone sees it lol, I really like his drumming. Just not his cymbal technique. I could care less if he was famous, or if he was some underground drummer, drumming with some band in a dive bar. I just don't like how he plays his cymbals, and it bothers me that a lot of younger drummers try and copy it.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:29 am

SocKeT wrote:I have never understood how people say he sucks, i must suck real bad because i have always found alot of his stuff especially with blink 182 a little challenging, his overplaying adds alot to it but still fits the song and when i do learn something of his it really helps my playing. maybe its more of his style i have a hard time with.

i'd say hs overplaying takes away from it
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:35 am

i dont know what you guys were watching that you saw flawless technique. I see him using his entire arm for every stroke. and hitting his cymbals right on the edge straight into the cymbal. especially when its moving and he hiting straight into the egde.
heres a genral rule of thumb for endurence. keep you elbows into your body whenever possible. and use your wrist and fingers for your strokes and arms for accents
SGarrett

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:12 am

DrumFiend0206 wrote:
By all means, let him have his success lol. I'm definitely not one for keeping others down or being jealous lol. In my personal opinion, I just think that he's teaching a lot of younger drummers to use bad technique for their cymbals.

I love his drumming, I think he's creative, and really good at what he does. Hell, I wish that I was that good lol. Like I said before, just in my opinion, he doesn't have good cymbal technique, and the waves and waves of kids that worship him as the greatest drummer ever are only going to end up breaking cymbals in the long run.

Once again just so everyone sees it lol, I really like his drumming. Just not his cymbal technique. I could care less if he was famous, or if he was some underground drummer, drumming with some band in a dive bar. I just don't like how he plays his cymbals, and it bothers me that a lot of younger drummers try and copy it.

Pretty much all hard rock and metal drummers play really hard. Younger drummers try to copy it for the same reason why everyone else starts out copying their heroes. I'm not saying that I agree with it or I wouldn't preach proper cymbal technique as much as I do, just that I understand it.

xdoseonex wrote:i dont know what you guys were watching that you saw flawless technique. I see him using his entire arm for every stroke. and hitting his cymbals right on the edge straight into the cymbal. especially when its moving and he hiting straight into the egde.
heres a genral rule of thumb for endurence. keep you elbows into your body whenever possible. and use your wrist and fingers for your strokes and arms for accents

I was watching his wrist and finger control. He uses his arm to add weight because, like I said way back, he plays like he's still in drum corps. Look at in the sense that he's playing constant accents at fortissimo volume.
DrumFiend0206
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:12 am

SGarrett wrote:
DrumFiend0206 wrote:

Pretty much all hard rock and metal drummers play really hard. Younger drummers try to copy it for the same reason why everyone else starts out copying their heroes. I'm not saying that I agree with it or I wouldn't preach proper cymbal technique as much as I do, just that I understand it.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It just bothers me I guess lol. Call it a pet peeve if you will, I just can't watch that Souja boy remix video that was in the beginning of this post, just for that reason (well that and I hate soulja boy.) lol. I do get what you're saying though both about playing hard, and playing like he's still in drum corps. I can definitely see that.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:52 am

SGarrett wrote:
DrumFiend0206 wrote:

xdoseonex wrote:i dont know what you guys were watching that you saw flawless technique. I see him using his entire arm for every stroke. and hitting his cymbals right on the edge straight into the cymbal. especially when its moving and he hiting straight into the egde.

I was watching his wrist and finger control. He uses his arm to add weight because, like I said way back, he plays like he's still in drum corps. Look at in the sense that he's playing constant accents at fortissimo volume.

yeah i guess. theres just something about the way he hits that cymbals that looks like hes TRYING to break it. i gotta say tho. he has to be the best drummer in the punk genre. (tho josh freese could be called a punk drummer)
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:22 pm

i've always said that he was one of the best in the punk genre, next to dale crover of the melvins.
Beat on.
SGarrett

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:25 pm

xdoseonex wrote:
yeah i guess. theres just something about the way he hits that cymbals that looks like hes TRYING to break it. i gotta say tho. he has to be the best drummer in the punk genre. (tho josh freese could be called a punk drummer)

I wouldn't doubt that he's trying to break cymbals. When Danial Adair got hired for 3 Door Down they told him "you need to learn how to break cymbals". Some folks just have that mentality.

And I'd call Josh Freese a flat out bad-ass, no matter what style he's playing.
peripsy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:36 am

seandude wrote:
PDP9000 wrote:
bapudi wrote:i saw this a while ago. it made me sad. that people really think he is good.

i mean he is alright. im not talking down on him but he is basic. and hits every thing way to hard and looks like a tard.

im sorry but just to over rated. like EVH no skill but alot of ego

I agree with you on that one he looks like he was just banging the shit out of his
ride cymbal and there was no skill just simple beats.

just cause there simple doesnt make him bad if he would have dont anymore you would have said he had overplayed

He seem more like a begginer to my eyes than a superstar drummer with 20++ year career...he doesn't look or play like someone with a lot of experience i think
peripsy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:38 am

SGarrett wrote:
BillRayDrums wrote:Anyone who sells themselves to the concept of becoming a "rock star" to the point of permanently scarring themselves with as many tattoos as he has gets a free pass. Oh and the boy can play too. He ain't Vinnie Colaiuta by any means but for what he does and as much inspiration as he has passed onto the younger set, more power to him.

Great points.

drummer912 wrote:
SGarrett wrote:Maybe you guys were watching a different video than me, but I saw and heard a lot of skill in that playing. I also saw the kind of playing that lets the kids in the back of the crowd see you. Ever watch how animated Tommy Lee is?

I'm honestly amazed at how drummers judge each other. "If he isn't playing intricate 64th note patterns at every available opportunity, he sucks!" Just like Trav needing to get over himself, a lot of you guys need to get over yourselves.

i agree. he actually is a pretty talented drummer. Most of his song have really good beats that aren't too simple or too complicated. I have never seen him live, so I can't say how good he is in reality.

I worked a Blink show a few years ago and his playing was very impressive. He over plays even more live, but his playing's at least clean.

it is his job after 28 years!!! of playing to be at least clean i think.