GET DML BACK IN ACTION!!!!

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: GET DML BACK IN ACTION!!!!

Postby possumofdestruction » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:27 pm

Everybody left mostly because of the moderators SGarret and Howepirate were abusing their power.
bash, bang, slam, whatever, yeah, ima drummer.
possumofdestruction
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby TheYardstick » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:36 pm

UGW is just far too chummy, I'm not very fond of the humor over there either.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Postby possumofdestruction » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:20 am

What do you mean by chummy? As in too friendly? How is that a bad thing?
possumofdestruction
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Timekeep69 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:30 am

It's "chummy" because UGW holds an annual get together called Drum Road Trip (DRT) so a lot of the board members actually know each other offline. No one is left out or made to feel left out if they cannot attend DRT but meeting board members in person and hanging out for a few days brings in a new level of friendship and respect to the board. So people are actually friends and treat each other with respect which makes the board seem "chummy."
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Timekeep69

Postby Brother_Bong » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:It's "chummy" because UGW holds an annual get together called Drum Road Trip (DRT) so a lot of the board members actually know each other offline. No one is left out or made to feel left out if they cannot attend DRT but meeting board members in person and hanging out for a few days brings in a new level of friendship and respect to the board. So people are actually friends and treat each other with respect which makes the board seem "chummy."

And not only have we met, but some of us(quite a few actually) have become real good friends aside from the forums. Helping out each other in ways you can't see on the board. :mrgreen:

Anyway, no one should feel alienated or unwelcome, everybody is welcome.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Postby stump » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:07 pm

I have made life long friends at DRT because of both DML and UGW. The problem with DML is that there is no regulation by the owner/administrator. Any dipstick with a bad attitude and a chip on their shoulder can post what ever they want. We have seen what can happen because of that. This forum has gone to S**T because of a lack of proper administration. Mods can only do so much without the backing of the admin. As long as this continues... this forum will continue to sink! I am upbeat and positve as many of you guys know. I am all for this forum's members coming back and making things better. But why should I/we show interest in something that the owner/admin does not give one shit about? I am not here to make him money! Later! P.O.Y!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

stump

Postby possumofdestruction » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:14 pm

Nice.
possumofdestruction
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby J0k3r » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:11 am

I see... ID have to agree this forum is dead. it was a nice run, and ill still check in every now and again but i found a new place. UGW seems to have more action. so my questions and comments get answered sooner. too bad this forum went to shit.
"We're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy" ~Seal~

Ludwig Accent
Vic Firth Stix
Zildjian Cymbals
Evans Heads
Gibralter Hardware
J0k3r
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby SmellsLikeIan » Thu May 06, 2010 11:16 am

Shame that this place has gone downhill so much because of lack of proper administration/ownership.

Never did like UGW though. When I visited the site after it first started it just seemed like a circle jerk for drummers and it seemed as if people were not encouraged to voice their opinions if they differed from the rest of the crowd. I don't need that from anyone, no matter how expensive their aluminum trick drumkit is or how much their stupid leather kilt weighs or how many harleys they have in their garage.

Simple fact is that Mike Morgan used a lapse in administration on this forum to steal members away to start his own similar, for profit forum. I'm sure I'll piss people off for actually coming out and stating the obvious, but so be it. If it wasn't for UGW, this place would likely be a lot more active. But Mike (AKA Zendrummer) saw an opportunity to make some cash and he took it. Can't necessarily say I blame him, although the reason he gave for doing so was that DML had become a haven for quite a few flame wars at the time. He should have also admitted, however, that he was an active participant in flaming people on several occasions.
yee freakin' haw
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Postby Timekeep69 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Mike didn't steal anyone away from DML. There was a a lot of drama on the board, Mods had no power to ban and there was a change of ownership where the new owner has ZERO involvement in the board. People left voluntarily. UGW is a great site. That have rules and they enforce them. There is Mike, the administrator and and Stump, the mod. There is no mod drama, if anyone comes trolling, they're shown the door. Differences of opinions are welcome as long as they are expressed in a mature way.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Timekeep69

Postby SmellsLikeIan » Thu May 06, 2010 11:04 pm

Mike has been a dick to me and I won't kiss his ass just so I can post on his wannabee forum. Fuck UGW. There. I said it. Or typed it. Whatever. I hope my statement gets some reactions from you trolling UGW d-bags who spend more time on your E-forum bullshit than you do playing drums.
yee freakin' haw
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Postby Brother_Bong » Fri May 07, 2010 6:46 am

SmellsLikeIan wrote:Mike has been a dick to me and I won't kiss his ass just so I can post on his wannabee forum. Fuck UGW. There. I said it. Or typed it. Whatever. I hope my statement gets some reactions from you trolling UGW d-bags who spend more time on your E-forum bullshit than you do playing drums.

Wow, harsh words dude. You are welcome to your opinion of course, but I am a bit upset that you would call me a douchebag as I've never done anything to you.
Oh, and Mike does not profit from UGW, just the opposite. All costs are out of his pocket with no return compensation. Notice the lack of ads at UGW as opposed to here?
I think you ought to get your story straight before you act like an ignorant playground bully intent on steering people away from the site.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Postby zen_drummer » Fri May 07, 2010 9:30 pm

SmellsLikeIan wrote:Mike has been a dick to me and I won't kiss his ass just so I can post on his wannabee forum. Fuck UGW. There. I said it. Or typed it. Whatever. I hope my statement gets some reactions from you trolling UGW d-bags who spend more time on your E-forum bullshit than you do playing drums.

I don't expect anybody to kiss my @ss, you're certainly welcome to if you like, but it isn't required.

I can see how some people wouldn't like a forum that insists that people behave like adults and treat each other with respect. For some folks, that is simply asking too much, and if you're not comfortable in that situation there are plenty of other forums where you can be whatever you want to be, and behave however you choose.

I do want to set the record straight, however, regarding my being a profiteer. UGW has never made a dime, and never will. We don't have ads, though we should, and Drum Road Trip costs a WHOLE LOT MORE to fund than it brings in. In 2008 DRT lost roughly $6,000 and DRT 2009 was in the red a little over that, at 6800 and change. HOWEVER... IT WAS (and will continue to be) WORTH IT!

Why?

In 2008 we had Jason Bittner show us all a thing or two about playing, and a number of DML members got to have the experience of a lifetime playing ON STAGE with Greg Howe and Regi Hendrix and a band of absolute monster players... for some folks, this will be the coolest gig they have ever played! Those that didn't play the concert had the opportunity to jam with Hendrix and Howe at the practice session, and to hang out with these players is a real treat. Do you know what you can learn from hanging out with one of the best guitar players in the WORLD? A Player that has played with DENNIS CHAMBERS, DAVE WECKL and MANY OTHERS? Drummers NEED input from other musicians... why not have input from THE BEST?

In 2009 we had Rod Mogenstein, ZORO, Johnny Rabb and Rick Van Horn, and they put on killer clinics. Visitors to DRT got to hang out with these guys for nearly the whole weekend. Do you know what kind of opportunity this is for a serious drummer? Again, we had a band to jam with, and seriously... everybody had a great time! Yeah, it made no money... but that's cool!

For 2010, we have Derek Roddy and Bernard Purdie doing clinics. Yeah, we've scaled back to two clinicians because frankly, these are the big bucks guys and they don't come cheap. But in much the same way, people that visit DRT this year will have an opportunity to hang out with drumming LEGENDS.

So UGW doesn't make any money, and neither does DRT, and if it did (and I REALLY hope some day that it does) ALL the money will be used to fund a scholarship fund for college bound drummers. It may take the better part a decade to get to that point, but I absolutely hope it does get there sooner than later.

It does look like UGW has a lot of rules, I can appreciate that some people really don't like that... But I could toss every rule we have and replace it with the following:

Welcome to UGW.... Don't be an @sshole.

Really, that's the bottom line isn't it? You can feel free to dislike the forum, or you can join us, it's up to you, but please don't accuse me of being a profiteer; I would be HAPPY to open the books and show you that it simply isn't the case.

Now I'd like to comment on some of the other allegations that have been brought out:

1) "UGW is a little too chummy"... It's true... we ARE very chummy. You are welcome to come and hang out with us, get to know us and be chummy too. Nobody is gonna get chummy with you if you're a jerk.

2) "I don't like the humor there". Well SAY SOMETHING to us about it! We don't want to offend, quite the opposite.

3) "Mike has been a dick to me"... That's possible... we all can be dicks at times. Real men would talk it out and find common ground.

4) "People were not encouraged to voice their opinions"... That is really not true at all. The difference at UGW is that if you voice your opinion, you need to STATE THAT IT'S an opinion... don't try to pass it off as fact. And DO expect to be questioned about why you feel they way you do. That's how we learn, by questioning the background and factors that lead to your opinions.

5) "Mike Morgan stole members from DML". Yeah, I probably did. I stole a few from the Saluda Forum too. So what?

So you got your reaction. I will say this though, you are correct that I was involved in some of the flame wars on DML. That's absolutely true. I started UGW because I don't like being involved in flame wars, and the MODS here at DML were powerless to do anything about it. There's no Flame wars on UGW... there are MANY respectful threads where people have a WIDE difference of opinion. People that don't behave well in that situation don't get to stick around too long.

And one other thing, and I feel this is REALLY worth mentioning. I'm the admin of UGW, but there is a board of advisers that make decisions regarding forum policy. Stump is the Mod... and Stump has moderated me MANY times... he is the ABSOLUTE keeper of the peace on the site, and he does a fantastic job. He has the complete authority to keep the place running smooth, and yes, that has manifested itself in him having to suggest that I back down on occasion. I cannot think of any other forum out there where the guy that started it would allow such a policy... but the rules are for EVERYBODY, and Stump makes certain that nobody, including me] steps out of line.

So you can say FU(K UGW... that's OK with me. If you can't see the value of a well run forum with LOADS of good players that freely share what they know with other drummers, then you don't see the value.... Fair enough... as Brother Bong once said to me... "Ya got a horse and you have a lake... the rest is up to him". UGW is a resource that is there for the taking. DML is on decline and maybe you can save it... maybe you can't. But as far as profiteers are concerned do remember this as you post here... Every word posted on DML drives the google ad words which eventually puts money in MAVERS pocket. He hasn't been here since Feb 26, and he has posted on his own forum a total of 14 times. There are still people that think Greg owns the site because he didn't even have the common decency to log in and say goodbye when he sold the place.

So there ya go... that's my reaction. Somebody is making money on a drum forum, but it sure isn't me!
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Postby SmellsLikeIan » Sun May 09, 2010 2:09 pm

Well, sorry for saying you were making money on it when you weren't. And I also applaud you for admitting your own shortcomings and taking criticism from Stump (who, btw has shown plenty of restraint with me in the last couple of days). I guess it just sort of infuriated me when joker said what he did:

Jok3r wrote: I see... ID have to agree this forum is dead. it was a nice run, and ill still check in every now and again but i found a new place. UGW seems to have more action. so my questions and comments get answered sooner. too bad this forum went to shit.

I guess I should let bygones be bygones and whatnot, Mike, but truth be told I probably won't be on either forum much, I'm tired of seeing the same topics over and over again, like "how can I get an endorsement" or "how can I play fast double bass like Joey Jordison without having to practice alot?" If I had only seen each of those topics 10 times, I wouldn't be so pissy about it.
yee freakin' haw
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Postby Brother_Bong » Sun May 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Way to be civil Ian, Thank You.
It's a shame you feel that way about visiting either site. I too agree that a lot of topics are beaten to death, but there is still room for constructive interaction. It's up to you though. Anyway, have a good one.... :wink:

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

PreviousNext

Return to Chit-Chat